You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ Ashba: Buckethead Took the Coolness Out of the Band

Sky Dog wrote:

The whole era was a fiasco, circus sideshow. Our only hope of redemption is if Axl somehow allows us to hear all the original tracks in their original arrangements. To me, that means all the tracks in the can prior to Bumblefoot joining in 2006.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

The whole era was a fiasco, circus sideshow. Our only hope of redemption is if Axl somehow allows us to hear all the original tracks in their original arrangements. To me, that means all the tracks in the can prior to Bumblefoot joining in 2006.

How many years older than you is Axl? And how is your health compared to his? 16

But who knows, maybe he's changed...

Sky Dog wrote:

He’s 5 years older than me but it’s probably a toss up as to who goes first!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

1) VMAs 2002. If Axl's voice had been in shape, and they'd come out of the gates with a one-two punch of Chinese Democracy and TWAT, or WTTJ and Better, or something, instead of that bizarre WTTJ/Madagascar/Paradise City medley. Songs where you showcase each of the lead guitarists and their unique tone, basically, and unapologetically blast out some new stuff. And then say, "The album is out in x weeks."

Yeah...this will always be a head scratcher.

It was actually a sign of things to come. He wanted to have it both ways...a merging of new and old. His talk of forcing the fans to move forward with him was ruined by his own self sabotage.

We now know an album wasn't really necessary in 2002... although it would've been great.

What was needed is a single.

The massive buzz from the VMAs needed a single a week later to keep momentum going. It might have been enough to save the tour from imploding.

Due to the buzz a year later from the Trunk show, I think IRS would have been a good enough song to launch in 02. Maybe even Hardschool or as absurd as it sounds...

Absurd.

The old fan idea of releasing an EP in that timeframe is something that they should've considered as well.

Didn’t Kurt Loder or another reviewer mention Bucket as the highlight of Rock in Rio?

I miss the days when Loder was excited for the project.

He got fed up like everyone else.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

2) The 2006 tour. If they'd managed to retain Buckethead, and the continuity of the new line-up. As it was, frantically subbing in Bumblefoot left everyone confused, and started the "revolving door" of guitarists. Promo was completely fucked by the time they got around to doing the Better video; it was "introducing" like seven band members, and the two lead guitarists were no longer in the band by that point. Bumblefoot, for all his guitar skills, just wasn't as iconic a figure as Buckethead. And Robin and Fortus' idea of just sticking with two guitarists was terrible. Yes, they could play the songs, but by that point the public had latched onto Buckethead as the defining figure of nu GN'R, and his absence could only leave the band looking diminished.

But Axl's voice was on top form, and with a stable line-up (which meant coherent promo) and an album release they would've killed it.

While I agree that losing Buckethead was a huge loss, I for one think that the Robin/Richard combo would have worked perfectly fine. Even with Bumble in the band, Robin was, apart from Axl of course, the main attraction in 2006. Not having Bumble would have helped to just get the CD out without starting the process of someone else adding parts. And in 2006 there was enough momentum that even an early 2007 release would have been a huge turning point.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm with Vale on that issue. While I don't believe it would have been "perfect", the loss of Buckethead should have ended the third guitarist slot permanently and just went with Finck/Fortus.

As we now know, this is what Fortus and Finck wanted...and Vale makes a great point about it preventing another round of recording.

You can get the album out a year earlier and while they are touring.

As we know from the reunion, three guitarists are not required for those songs.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

1) VMAs 2002. If Axl's voice had been in shape, and they'd come out of the gates with a one-two punch of Chinese Democracy and TWAT, or WTTJ and Better, or something, instead of that bizarre WTTJ/Madagascar/Paradise City medley. Songs where you showcase each of the lead guitarists and their unique tone, basically, and unapologetically blast out some new stuff. And then say, "The album is out in x weeks."

It was actually a sign of things to come. He wanted to have it both ways...a merging of new and old. His talk of forcing the fans to move forward with him was ruined by his own self sabotage.

We now know an album wasn't really necessary in 2002... although it would've been great.

The massive buzz from the VMAs needed a single a week later to keep momentum going. It might have been enough to save the tour from imploding.

Due to the buzz a year later from the Trunk show, I think IRS would have been a good enough song to launch in 02. Maybe even Hardschool or as absurd as it sounds...

Absurd.

The old fan idea of releasing an EP in that timeframe is something that they should've considered as well.

Didn’t Kurt Loder or another reviewer mention Bucket as the highlight of Rock in Rio?

Loder got fed up or phased out of his job by MTV? I heard nothing of the guy after 2002 and am seriously questioning if he’s done anything since then.

Sky Dog wrote:

He probably realized MTV didn’t care about videos and rock n roll anymore! He had nothing to give them after that.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Keep that 02 tour on the road and get a single out with it and maybe we get an album in 03.

As for 06, they could have just stuck to two guitarists. As we've seen with Fortus taking more of the Bucket/Bumble parts post reunion, he has the chops as he's a highly skilled session player. May not be the most creative guy but he could play their parts for touring purposes. Bumble's introduction, and then later Frank when he joined, slowed the process down even further.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Absurd.

Loder got fed up or phased out of his job by MTV? I heard nothing of the guy after 2002 and am seriously questioning if he’s done anything since then.

He's actually a film critic now. I'm sure he made enough cash to have retired. He's a pretty hardcore libertarian, so I reckon he didn't fit in with the Gen Z turn MTV took, and was replaced by two young guys who didn't last a year, then a rapper named Sway. He was really the Walter Cronkite of my generation. MTV NEWS was a legit news agency at one time. He ran the whole news division, not just the music side. I'll always remember him showing up when Axl was arrested. Then Axl giving him a ride in his limo when he got out on bail. That was a great interview.

Board footer