You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Money doesn’t matter. It didn’t help Hillary. When Americans are fed up, they’re fed up. Not sure he’d actually get the nom against Desantis at this point. There’s no way, at least now, Biden beats Desantis, and that’s less about liking the guy as it is about being fed up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder if Trump was just the beginning of modern celebrity candidates.

I mean he's kinda a polarising candidate, as mitch points out there's blatant reasons he would be distasteful to some, so like what stops someone else who is famous but more universally likeable from running?

Like some of the hollywood elite have cults of personality around them that would be far more popular than trump.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I mean he's kinda a polarising candidate, as mitch points out there's blatant reasons he would be distasteful to some, so like what stops someone else who is famous but more universally likeable from running?

Like some of the hollywood elite have cults of personality around them that would be far more popular than trump.

He should be unappealing to the overwhelming majority.

You're exactly right...since the presidency is nothing more than a vote for homecoming king and queen now, we will absolutely have more of this type of thing. For the following reasons:

1) people don't know or care how to evaluate whether or not policies affect them and/or how they affect them.

2) it's more fun to implement policies that hurt others rather than help oneself.

3) the American people have extremely low approval rates for the government in general yet the keep sending the same assholes back. The reelection rate here is damn near 100% at federal, state and local levels. The American voter inexplicably takes no responsibility for this fact. It's always someone else's fault. It's the media's fault. It's Obama's fault. It's our politicians who don't take leadership roles. Well...what happens when you have a chance to replace these people? Nothing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I predicted it 20 years ago.

We'd eventually have movie stars and athletes as prez and senators. In today's world you can add "influencers" to that list.

If he decides to run, The Rock will be our next president.

It's the perfect setup for the world we live in....

A distraction for the plebs. Had TPTB known it would work so well, they'd have allowed this shit in the 90s. Instead of Clinton, Oprah or Hulk Hogan would've been president.

If Clint Eastwood was 20-30 years younger he could've been president.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Just read about Johnny Rotten, had no idea he became an American citizen, but he was a huge Obama supporter, denounced Trump in 2016 but ended up voting for him in 2020. One of the biggest reasons was the hypocrisy of the left and how blatantly biased the media was. I didn't vote for Trump, but I can identify with this. He swears he'll never vote for a professional politician for President again. This kind of confirms that more people liked the idea of Trump (an outsider) than actually liked Trump. I think there's a real opportunity for a maverick to enter the scene.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The country has been overdue for a maverick since 2008. It's unfortunate that the era was wasted on Obama...and then Trump.

Only another Teddy Roosevelt is capable of saving us.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

What's Teddy Roosevelt going to do when Congress is utterly beholden to special interests and the media is their extended enforcement arm?

The only way Trump was going to get anything done is if he'd declare himself a tyrant and start a civil war.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I’ll disagree, Trump had no idea how to wield his power or influence to pass legislation he believed in because he had absolutely no beliefs that could equal his fragile ego. He was easily manipulated.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Just read about Johnny Rotten, had no idea he became an American citizen, but he was a huge Obama supporter, denounced Trump in 2016 but ended up voting for him in 2020. One of the biggest reasons was the hypocrisy of the left and how blatantly biased the media was. I didn't vote for Trump, but I can identify with this. He swears he'll never vote for a professional politician for President again. This kind of confirms that more people liked the idea of Trump (an outsider) than actually liked Trump. I think there's a real opportunity for a maverick to enter the scene.

But if you're voting just to protest the media, isn't that just a wasted vote? I'm in the middle though.  If you're going to vote for an outsider, you have to vote for someone who has some sort of legislative experience otherwise it always backfires.

misterID wrote:

I’ll disagree, Trump had no idea how to wield his power or influence to pass legislation he believed in because he had absolutely no beliefs that could equal his fragile ego. He was easily manipulated.

There is such a divison in Congress right now it's almost impossible to pass legislation. I mean they took the longest time to pass an infrasturcture bill.  Legislation just isn't passed as much these days.  Oh, I don't disagree with you on Trump being an empty suit but Congress is just really divided right now and has been for years.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Not so much basing a vote on the media, just souring me on the Democratic Party in general.

Congress is a mess because Democrats can’t rebel against their leadership and Republicans can’t stop rebelling. Again, Trump could have easily pulled these forces together. He blew it. Though Pelosi and Schumer kind of made certain to sabotage anything, he could have went right to the rustbelt Dems and negotiated with them.

Board footer