You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Forgotten---some Netflix Korean film.  Turned out to be quite good and it deals with the psycholgical thriller stuff that the Koreans are quite good at.  Somewhat of a con/twist movie if I were to describe.

The Firm--this one could have been great.  As it is it's just solid.  The 2.5 hour run time is too much.  The acting and cast really are all ace across the board.   Sydney Pollack directed this and I think he wanted this to be his conspiracy thriller of the 1990s.  But it comes nowhere close to Three Days of the  Condor which is more tightly plotted and has more urgency.    I guess some of it is down to the Grisham novel. Honestly, I would have just dumped some of the stuff between Mitch (Tom Cruise's character) and his wife and focused on the nefarious doings of the firm.  This is one of those, I'll watch once every decade kind of films.

Sidney Pollack was the wrong director for this. Sidney Lumet or John Schlesinger could have made it darker and more interesting. The music was awful.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Rich Man's Wife - Without the star power of Halle Berry, this is a Cinemax After Dark movie.

They do a pretty good job with setting it up but starts going off the rails. There's no reason for this guy to keep going after Halle... especially after she pays him.

The very end(last 2 minutes or so) is God awful. It's actually insulting. We're supposed to believe that Halle and her boyfriend's ex wife were in on it from the start? Come on!

This gets added to my "Never watch it again' pile.

Halle was so hot back then.

The Gingerbread Man - I almost picked another movie at the last minute. I can't stand 
Kenneth Branagh in anything...and he is the star here.

It's a slog. It took about 40 minutes to get things moving along and it doesn't feel like much is at stake here.

This movie bombed hard. I can see why. Sad that it put the screws to Embeth Davidtz attempt to move up another notch.

Funny how none of the other actors in this...Branagh, Duvall, Downey Jr., Hannah, etc.... didn't have any negative consequences after this film.

It really is a fucked up industry.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It was a Robert Altman film, totally out of his comfort zone. That’s why everyone was forgiven.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

The music was awful.

Oh yeah.  Every ten mins was like upbeat piano music.   I was like WTF is going on here.

James

James wrote:

Rubberneck -  About a guy who becomes obsessed with a co-worker he had a weekend fling with....and of course it all goes to shit.

I felt really sorry for him. A decent guy, very dysfunctional though. Uncomfortable around women and clearly has some issues.

Guys like this...and just guys in general...need to take the hint. She was clearly not interested. He was lucky that he even got a 1-2 night stand out of it.

When you reach the point of constantly watching them,, listening in on their conversations with others, and then trying to break up the fling she's having with another co-worker, get some help. If you don't, you've put yourself on a crash course with tragedy.

I also felt sorry for her as it got closer to the end of the line. It must suck for women to navigate through these types of situations...like tap dancing on a landmine. There's no easy way to deal with it.

I know one thing... getting up in his face when he's come to your house to give you a present and calling him a needy coward was not the right approach. Not only are you painting him into a corner, you're emasculating him as well.

Don't be surprised by your imminent funeral....

Tonight I think I'll watch The Enforcer...been putting that one off for awhile.

James

James wrote:

The Taking of Pelham 123 - This was really good. I loved Gandolfini's role as the mayor.

Denzel and Travolta worked well together. I almost watched the original after this... they're both on Tubi.

Free Ride -  This had so much potential... it's based on a true story.  It's set in the 1970s and Anna Paquin as a mother with two kids who move to Florida to get away from her abusive boyfriend...she quickly gets involved with trafficking drugs.

For the first half of the film I wondered how in the living hell did this only get 14% on Rotten Tomatoes....the longer it went on, the more I understood.

It feels like nothing is really at stake. None of it is taken very seriously...and the family drama between her and her teen daughter falls flat.

The only real moment of tension is when her teen daughter goes to that concert.

The worst part is how it ends....they have the young daughter narrate what happens to them. In a movie revolving around drugs, you show what happens leading to the arrest...and of course the aftermath which would be a nightmare for her kids.

Instead we get like a 2 minute narration, then 1 minute of "one year later" showing they reunited after she got out of jail.

Ridiculous.

It feels incomplete...as if their budget ran out so they put that together instead of a proper ending.

This needed a better writer and director to properly tell this story...and they also needed to do a better job on selling the fact this is the 1970s.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Been watching the Obi Wan series.

The type of movie where some random dad or uncle gets in trouble and they have to fight some bad guys who are way over their league but they manage to defeat them anyways.

In this series, Obi Wan is that random dad. Never held a lightsaber before, doesn't know anything about the Force. Without the indispensable backup of a ten year old girl he would not have completed his mission.

You gotta wonder if the writers sit down and bluntly suggests how to humiliate a legacy character as much as possible. And then build a show around that idea. This show also tells me there must be a ton of good actors out there who for some reason are not getting hired. Or maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this is who we are as a society now and this is the best we have to offer. I can't think of any other reason why big productions have such lousy writing, directing and acting. Like, where are all the pro's working?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Thank Kathleen Kennedy.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

In a sense it's better that way. If you're going to lose a tooth, better it happens quick. On the other hand we're losing a lot of teeth here.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I really wish we could have gotten Zack Snyder’s Magnificent Seven influenced Star Wars film.

Board footer