You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Could the first Snakepit album have been a good record with Axl / Duff

Scabbie wrote:

So here’s a thought

If they’re revisiting the CD vault and re-recording with Duff and Slash, why not revisit this old material and ask Axl to do his thing

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Scabbie wrote:

So here’s a thought

If they’re revisiting the CD vault and re-recording with Duff and Slash, why not revisit this old material and ask Axl to do his thing

Because that would require Axl to write new lyrics, which appears to be a massive roadblock for him.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

Izzy!....izzy y axl era el potencial!...y no menosprecio al conjunto original!...la ritmica de izzy y la lirica de axl montaban canciones de cojones y slash era la guinda para los solos!...pero no nos engañemos los solos de izzy y axl!....siempre hablamos de como toca slash y por supuesto tio que toca del carajo pero a nivel compositivo era izzy y la quimica de axl para componer las partes de guitarras que eran el sonido guns clasico!....p.d hollywood rose lo dice todo y comfirma lo de izzy y axl!

Bueno tio,  eso yah es demaciado. Izzy y Axl era una pareja phenomenal,  sin duda.  Pero la guitara de Slash los llevaron a otro nivel.   Compera los albums the Izzy & Slash dispues de Guns, la qualidad se enquentra machismo mas con las de Slash.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Calidad o gustos?...por que llo prefiero cualquier trabajo de izzy al de slash.estamos hablando de que slash es un quiero y no puedo...las partes de guitarras de illusion ya no sonaban incendiarias y ni mucho menos suena a dos guitarras dandolo todo.....se dice que en la mezcla de los illusion bajo el sonido de izzy! Mira a slash tocando el material de chinese....amo el sonido de slash....pero te aseguro que todos aqui fantaseamos por como tocaria slash ese solo o aquel de chinese y se a demostrado que se los carga!....ni un triste solo lo eleva....peor.... se los carga....seguimos fantaseando!....slash desde que dejo guns no a gravado o compuesto ningun solo como los que grabo buckethead o fink con axl!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I hink it's the lost GNR record really

It's hugely frustrating to hear the potential in the songs written and recorded around that time, and consider what could've been. Like you say – Slash, Duff and Gilby came up with some great riffs in that period, but the lyrics were – at best – good

The "lost" GNR record to me is....

About half of Snakepit...

Neither Can I
Beggars and Hangers On
Good To Be Alive
Lower
Maybe one or two others

A few off Believe In Me....

Believe In Me
Could It Be U
Punk Rock Song
Swamp Song

Maybe 10 Years as well.

And Gilby...

Cure Me or Kill Me
Tijuana Jail
Let's Get Lost
Skin N Bones

Dead Flowers begs to be a B side for whatever the first single would've been.

Firing Gilby... who is at his peak here....was asinine. How he could listen to those songs being developed and not see the potential for GNR shows he's already losing the plot.

I realize Gilby shouldn't have been running his mouth at the time....but was this really necessary?

And yeah....add This I Love as the big ballad and there's a GNR record here.

Delay it further and Neurotic Outsiders material can be added to the mix.

"I came into (Guns N' Roses) rehearsal last night and Axl goes, 'Dude… this record … is amazing. It's so important.' And he was singing the words to every song."

This is funny and sad.

He calls that record "important" while looking down on Snakepit as dog shit.

It's also ridiculous how he still has nothing substantial to contribute at this point. Everyone else is doing their own material and when doing GNR, just doing instrumental rehearsals and jams.

What a waste of time.

I need to go through some old Slash interviews. Anyone remember how far along the lyrics were when rejected? Some of those lyrics are clearly digs at Axl and his minions.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I see it like this..
Axl was neurotic himself, opinionated, a bit hot headed, and he a vision which he didn’t want to give up. Slash and Duff were drinking like fish, using hard drugs and had Matt and Gilby on there side as they were more friendly with each other because they all used/drank. Axl isolated himself for those reasons.
Now based on stuff I have read, Axls take on it, ‘Slash is the Vargas’, I feel as if Slash turned the other members against Axl and frankly I think if he got his way maybe we would have seen GnR without Axl. We all know him as the legendary voice and everything but a lot of people didn’t like his voice, especially live, back then. Metallica famously mocked Axl (I believe part of the reason for the switch to clean vocals, wanted to prove himself as a singer). This is why Axl replaces Gilby who is already a non original member who also hasn’t recorded anything yet, with a friend, Paul Tobias. Axl wanted someone in his corner.
It’s my belief Slash put out SnakePit to spite Axl. That in turn led to the downtime and more side bands/fracturing of the relationship.
As far as Axl wanting to change direction? Look i like a good amount of what Slash has put out solo but just as much is hot garbage.. imagine a compromise between the two.. it would indeed have been a great album. Better than illusions, while not sounding like anything they’ve put out before. It would have sucked for GnR to put out albums like AC/DC did, all very similar sounding. Btw AC/DC kicks ass.
It’s a shame when you listen to the versions of silkworms and hardskool that they couldn’t have been released with the 94 lineup. Had we not heard the unreleased versions of these tracks, and assumed they were written together as a group, I feel we would be talking today about how they were great follow up tracks to the illusion records. Still classic sounding, while also moving in a new direction. A shame really.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Trabajar con yonkis no tiene que ser facil cuando encima te estan boicoteando,izzy trabajaba con axl en la vision artistica del grupo,eso se perdio cuando izzy se fue!....slash quiso hacer eso con axl con la diferencia de que compuso snakepit sin la vision artistica de axl!.snakepit no pasa del aprobado y el disco de duff igual!....que metalica se mofaba de axl y cambio su voz por eso?....vamos tio seamos serios!la broma era slash y duff hasta las cejas de heroina queriendo ser maestros de ceremonias con semejantes  discos!....no fueron capaces de ver la direccion artistica de axl o no quisieron por su puto ego y por sentirse importantes al sacar sus discos!.....metalica se pirrian por appetite y consideran a axl la voz de una generacion!.....slash queria acaparar las partes de guitarras y la escritura,a zack wilde lo trajo axl como sustituto de izzy y slash se sentia intimidado!...slash no queria componer con axl y se moria de envidia por que axl componia con paul huge y tenia la quimica para armar canciones y letras como hacia con izzy y eso dejaba a slash fuera de ese rol!...y slash en vez de acercarse a axl y entenderlo se va cegando hasta manipular a los demas de que axl es un dictador!....ahora todos quieren estar con axl y quieren tocar el material de axl,hasta matt sorum que a sortado mierda por un tubo se arrastra para tocar con ellos!....y slash y duff tocando el material alternativo de chinese!....lucidez o como reconocer que la cagaron?....nunca devieron de averse ido del grupo y deverian aver estado mas lucido para entender la vision artistica de chinese!.....axl win!....todos sodomizados por mac daddy!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl was neurotic himself, opinionated, a bit hot headed, and he a vision which he didn’t want to give up. Slash and Duff were drinking like fish, using hard drugs and had Matt and Gilby on there side as they were more friendly with each other because they all used/drank. Axl isolated himself for those reasons.

The factions may have been lopsided...but they always were...even when Izzy was still around.

One of the issues is they weren't a natural group. Fate somehow brought this quirky group of guys together and quickly created lightning in a bottle.

I think if he got his way maybe we would have seen GnR without Axl

He was too iconic to replace... especially in that timeframe.

He would be more likely to just walk away for awhile...which is what they probably should've done.

Mick and Keith did this in the 80s. Instead of trying to fire/replace someone and ruin the band,, they left it alone and did their own thing until time to get the gang back together.

Slash leaving gave all leverage to Axl and allowed him to permanently take over the band.

Roger Waters did the same thing 10 years earlier.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Funny how they remain a big draw 30 years later on the back of 2 albums and an EP. They attract as much fans as Metallica or any other big band if we look at touring numbers. 

GN'R was 87-93 for those lucky enough to experience it. Fantastic period of music those years, the last burst of creativity before everything took a nosedive. Being alive then feels a bit like being alive in the late 60s.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

So here’s a thought

Because that would require Axl to write new lyrics, which appears to be a massive roadblock for him.

And when you look at some of the lyrics on CD, it becomes even more embarrassing.

Board footer