You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

You're right...I just checked my posts and it's gone. Weird. Another forum glitch I suppose.

I took a break from Anne Heche movies to watch a couple Stephen King movies... mainly due to recently reading half of Four Seasons. With that slightly fresh in my mind I wanted to see the film versions.

Stand By Me - This will always be amazing...one of the best movies of the 80s. It gets better with age.

Having said that...I'd love to read the original script they were going with until Reiner came in and made them change it. It was probably more faithful to the novella.

In the story, Chris runs the show start to finish. In the movie, it starts out with Chris and then over time, Gordie takes the lead.

I also prefer the ending of the story. The confrontation with the hoodlums leads to the boys getting scared shitless and they just abandon the body and walk home....one of the hoodlums makes the anonymous call to the police. The boys end up getting the shit kicked out of them later on.

In the end, it's not just Chris who dies....you find out Vern died in a fire and Teddy gets killed in a car wreck. This makes the adult Gordie the lone survivor of his group of friends.

I think that end packs a bigger emotional punch than Chris being the only death. Hell...they give away the Chris death in the movie intro anyways... just not the details.

If a remake ever happens, please don't remake Stand By Me...do The Body instead.

The book also has that extra Gordie story...the movie only has Lard Ass.

Apt Pupil -  It was ok...but they completely fucked up the story. Todd is supposed to be just as crazy as the Nazi. The only person killed in the movie is one homeless guy. Ridiculous.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Reiner screwed up Misery too. They are both classics and I appreciate them, but they could have been so much more. Stand By Me had the perfect cast.

James

James wrote:

Stand By Me had the perfect cast.

Indeed. They couldn't have improved it in a million years...and I love how Reiner made them hang out and live together for a few weeks. It obviously played a huge factor in their chemistry.

I read a couple articles on the 35th anniversary and laughed at Feldman's comment about being interested in doing a sequel. The ship sailed on that decades ago.

For starters...it doesn't need one. If they did one, it would've had to be similar to the sequel to American Graffiti...where you would get four separate stories showing their fate mentioned in the first film. Even if you did this, they're way too old and besides, even IF it's a good idea (it's not), River's death shut the door on the possibility.

Have you ever watched any of the deleted scenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PfpwdJFKs

Some of those should've been left in the film... especially the scene where Feldman almost falls off the bridge. It helps explain the edit where Vern is crawling on the tracks...too scared to stand up.

I also like the morning scenes where each boy is getting ready to go... especially the Gordie scene where his father stares at him with those cold, dead eyes. It reinforces Gordie's feelings about his dad hating him.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

River Phoenix...such a tragic death

I watched a doc about him...or it was a doc about viper club...can't recall

it was good tho

James

James wrote:

I should look that up. There's also a book that goes into what went down that night... supposedly that Chili Peppers guitarist is most responsible for his death but got away with it.

He's probably the biggest celebrity death...at least in our generation. A massive loss. In one of those 35th anniversary articles I read, Richard Dreyfuss brought it up when asked about the film...how the whole world was essentially robbed.

The Cellar - Worst new horror movie I've watched in years... even worse than that new Emma Roberts movie I watched weeks ago.

Recount - Kevin Spacey movie about the 2000 Bush-Gore election. This was really well done.

Murder By Numbers - Early 2000s crime thriller starring Sandra Bullock. Got crappy reviews but I liked it. A bit over the top and the climax blows but it gets the job done. It's similar to all the other films of the time...this genre was getting overexposed.

Christine - 2016 movie about Christine Chubbock. Rebecca Hall deserved at least an Oscar nom for this. Great job on the 1970s setting.

Running On Empty - I really liked this. Hadn't watched it in decades. It also reminded me how much I liked Martha Plimpton in my youth.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

It's on Netflix, it's called Dark Side of the 90s: The Viper Room

Also if u ever wanna do 90s nostalgia, watch the new woodstock 99 do n Netflix as well...what a fucking shitshow that festival was

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

I watched a movie on Netflix the other night called Metal Lords. About two high school kids trying to start a metal band and win battle of the bands. It's only 90 minutes or so and was enjoyable enough. GnR's version of Since I Don't Have you is in the soundtrack along with Metallica, AV7,  Pantera, Black Sabbath etc etc.  It's worth watching if ya have a bit of time to kill.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

I saw that movie! Yea it was pretty good

James

James wrote:

The Thing Called Love - River Phoenix's last film. He is strung out here.... incredibly skinny, obviously high in certain scenes, and he's not looking at who he's talking to half the time.

In hindsight this performance is a red flag. He clearly had issues.

I might watch The Mosquito Coast tonight.

Thirteen Days - Great film about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Oh God! - Not sure why I picked this. Hadn't watched it since it was on HBO when I was 4-5 years old. I didn't really like it that much. I love the setting though... especially the grocery store scenes...and Teri Garr was so hot back then.

Paul Sorvino is amazing as the preacher.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not a movie but a good show, Battlestar Galactica.

I liked this when I first watched it 15 years ago. Didn't consider it "art tv" like the Sopranos, but it was a good fun show like SG-1.

Still holds up. The whole Cylon arc is pretty good tv for a network show. It is cable actually, but everything about it feels like a network show.

Board footer