You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: SOG single coming?

ClaudeF wrote:

"The General," as long as it doesn't have the f'd-up, guessed-at lyrics in the "reconstructed" fan-made version, would be a gamechanger.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

I lost most of the leaks when my comp crashed 3-4 years ago, but i do remember "Oklahoma" having a riff that sounded like something Slash himself had written.  Was there more than one version of this song, or anything with vocals?  I thought it was by far the closest to vintage GN'R of any of the leaks.  I still have SOG and have always liked it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Bluefish18 wrote:

I lost most of the leaks when my comp crashed 3-4 years ago, but i do remember "Oklahoma" having a riff that sounded like something Slash himself had written.  Was there more than one version of this song, or anything with vocals?  I thought it was by far the closest to vintage GN'R of any of the leaks.  I still have SOG and have always liked it.

No vocals for Oklahoma in the leaks.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

It's really hard to know what they do and don't have, but there's enough evidence that a good amount of work happened after 98-01, so I think he has some songs.

In terms of unfinished stuff from those 00-01 leaks from 2019, We have:

* Perhaps, Atlas are pretty much done and probably have had work similar to HS done on them since. BBF was recording solos for Atlas in 07/08.
* Quick Song is basically done compositionally and has a vocal melody but no lyrics.
* State of Grace doesn't sound finished at that point. The music doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the vocal track is rough and useless. I would be surprised though if it wasn't developed further or parts of it weren't developed further in new songs/other songs.
* Oklahoma, the music is compositionally done and Axl was highlighting this track to RS in 99/00. Would be surprised if nothing happened with this.
* Me & My Elvis sounds very complete musically. If we assume this track is what he referred to as Elvis & The Monster of Soul/Soul Monster in those 08 forum chats then he's on the record as having recorded vocals for this.
* Zodiac is labeled as no vox, suggesting may a cut with vocals did exist around that time. It also sounds musically and compositionally complete. Would be surprised if he did nothing with this.
* And a tonne of other instrumentals in varying states.

Then we have the tracks from those leaks that we know had further work done:

* Everything that was complete on those leaks that made the album, all had some changes to them
* Better & Sorry are completely without vocals and they're on the album with vocals.
* Silkworms, gets a chorus that is sung at Rio and a new one years later
* Hard Skool gets reworked musically and comes out last year
* Shacklers, in 2000 not even complete musically, just a rough musical idea. By 2008 it's been fleshed out into a full song with vocals.
* Tommy's Going Down song, we have a later leak with Axl on backing vocals.

We also have songs like Scraped which are nowhere to be seen on any leaks. The only existence of that song we have is the album and no one from the band has ever talked about it. We also have that cell phone recording of The General.

So in short... I think he has more than a few songs left in the vault.

And based on clips this band needs something released. These shows look boring and Axl vocally doesn't have much left. A UYI boxset, unreleased demos from 86-94 or new music. Just something, they need something right now.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Use Your Illusion III

Perfect marketing

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Anything

Even just the Greatest Hits 2 that was supposed to come out in 2006 but instead of Shadow, include a new song or two.

Not only has all momentum been lost, they're not even pretending to give a shit. Watch the YCBM clip again...look.at his eyes. He doesn't even want to be there.

Something's gotta give.....

If we don't get something relatively soon, we're never getting it. This shindig will die on the vine. They're gonna have to go away for a few years to get any excitement brewing. This is how bands like the Stones and Metallica can get away with going so long without releasing anything new.... people start to miss them.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You could release a box set of UYI with a third album and it would be pretty big news. Hard Skool reminds of Right Next Door to Hell.

Am I misremembering or was a new song supposed to be a sequel to Estranged? Was it General? I think Baz said this from what Axl told him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

So in short... I think he has more than a few songs left in the vault.

Another interesting thing was the TIL dance mix which seemed to feature an entirely different vocal track. I mean maybe the scream version was using outtake vocals from the original session, but it had the character and of his 2009 era voice which made me wonder if it was more recent.

That plus all the stuff you said, plus the occasional comment from people associated with the project makes me think there's a lot of stuff.

Like people talk smack but there's too many people who have said stuff for there to be nothing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Tommy already let the world know how much is really there....there's enough material for one more album and either an EP or handful of B sides.

No more, no less...and we now know from Slash they've created zilch since the reunion started...so it's the exact same batch of songs Tommy talked about.

Get em out there...it's much needed promotion for the tour and will give you guys a reason to keep doing this. It's just rotting in the vault.

It's amazing how out of my favorite bands, they're the only one who doesn't know what to do or how to do it.

This situation would be a no brainer for others.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
James wrote:

Watch the YCBM clip again...look.at his eyes. He doesn't even want to be there.

Oh I would but... "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Universal Music Group" = weak.

Board footer