You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

Predictions for how next Tuesday will go?

538 keeps inching their prediction a point in favor of the GOP each day and their model says it's even possible now the GOP has 56 seats in the Senate:  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 … id=rrpromo

RealClearPolitics is holding at 53 seats:  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll … ction.html

I don't see at this point how the GOP doesn't have a majority in each chamber.  What's very interesting is if the GOP overshoots and gets 54 or 55 seats this election, there is a very solid chance they'd be over 60 seats in 24 as the next election will be much more favorable to them.  Could be very interesting to have a filibuster proof Senate Majority and a GOP president.  I can only dream about the important and dramatic changes that would come.  #1 being stating that birthright citizenship doesn't apply to the children of illegals, as we know this isn't a fight the left would win at SCOTUS.  But I won't get ahead of myself.

More interested to see if the DNC acknowledges running against Trump for 6 years isn't a political doctrine and if their acceptance of the superwoke is recognized as the biggest reason they're losing in nearly every state race as well.  Probably not, but as someone who wants compromise and a working government, the sooner they realize this the better.

One thing I'm positive about is you won't have 48 Democratic Senators demanding the filibuster be repealed come January.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I like how Biden sent out a tweet promising all the stuff he’ll do if they can hold both house majorities. Dude currently has both house majorities 14

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The best thing about Biden being so brazen is you gain a profound understanding of politics. He can say that because most voters won't know or think about it. The rhetorical quality is all that matters. It's a simple and effective strategy, which also conceals the fact you already have both houses, didn't come through with your election promises and you certainly won't now either.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

After what happened with abortion, I'm surprised the GOP is expected to pull off a win.

It really shows the attention span of the public... abortion is ancient history now.

I don't know... maybe the world not ending after it happened like predicted played into their hands after all.

We'll see.....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

After what happened with abortion, I'm surprised the GOP is expected to pull off a win.

It really shows the attention span of the public... abortion is ancient history now.

I don't know... maybe the world not ending after it happened like predicted played into their hands after all.

We'll see.....

The problem with abortion is that the Democrats choose to represent an even smaller view on the issue than Republicans. Sure, probably more than 1/3 of the country wants abortion banned completely. What exceptions exist varies, but they’re your anti-abortion crowd the Christian conservatives appeal to.

There isn’t a similar sized position for the Democrats to latch to. Collectively the party is endorsing abortion up to 40 weeks, and there isn’t any sizable voting bloc who wants infanticide on demand. But that’s what the party’s attempted to legislate, and many of those campaigning went full retard during the primary and have full throated support for 40 week abortions. See PA’s Fetterman as the standard bearer of this.

So what Democrats are forced to run on is that all Republicans want abortion illegal and the Democrats are the saviors of Roe. Dumb shits who can’t pick up a newspaper or independently verify attack ads just absorb that nonsense and go along with it. They want to portray the GOP as the extremist.

But ask the country if they think Graham’s 15 week federal ban that prevents states from going earlier is preferable to infanticide and see where the public comes out.

That’s why it’s so important to vote for each candidate and not the party. It’s why I’m voting for the moderate Jew and moderate Muslim in PA instead of the neo-fascist Christian or ultra progressive agnostic in PA’s election next week.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I like how Biden sent out a tweet promising all the stuff he’ll do if they can hold both house majorities. Dude currently has both house majorities 14

Cmon, now let's be honest.  You know they would need like big majorities to get stuff done.  Slim majorities mean nothing or gridlock.

I think GOP obviously takes the House and Dems retain control of the senate or at worst ends up 50-50.  I haven't looked at everything so the Senate stuff could be out of whack.

James wrote:

We'll see.....

It always was a narrow issue.  It matters but not as much in localized/Senate/House races.  To me it never was the people mover, the issue where some would get out to vote sort of thing.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Shocking…not one mention of the attack on the speaker of the house, down playing of the roe v. Wade overturn by a bunch of middle age white men who don’t have children…

I think we should just stop having elections and let the mouth breathers in this thread decide things.

I wish i could remember the exact moment that i no longer considered any of you friends. But someone has to occasionally let you know when you’re head is too far up your own ass.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Speaker of the house attacked, Rand Paul attacked, Steve Scalise shot…. the congressional republican baseball team nearly mowed down… by right wing people?

Anyway.

I hope for a R victory. Tho I’m sure it will be more of the same.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Shocking…not one mention of the attack on the speaker of the house, down playing of the roe v. Wade overturn by a bunch of middle age white men who don’t have children…

I think we should just stop having elections and let the mouth breathers in this thread decide things.

I wish i could remember the exact moment that i no longer considered any of you friends. But someone has to occasionally let you know when you’re head is too far up your own ass.

Something is up with that odd attack. They knew each other some how and the guy was living in a gay Pride BLM school bus or some shit. The attack is unacceptable but there is more to this story.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The economy and inflation followed by crime and schools are the biggest issues. Way on down the list is racial issues, gender equity stuff, and abortion.

Board footer