You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:

Never been to his site before. He sells toys?!?

At least he does have some new music on there.

It's just speculation based on Vanessa Leveis suggesting Axl on a HotOnes Instagram post.

Yep.

This goes back to my earlier comment about how the fan base resorts to fantasy/fan fiction to justify its continued interest....a post from the managers daughter about a YouTube show leads to speculation on Axl appearing....while knowing it will never actually happen.

The fact  that fans even have to follow such a person speaks volumes....no offense to her.

Imagine having to follow James Herfields ex wife's nanny's daughter for any Metallica news.....

This fan-band dynamic is unlike any other in music history. There's literally no comparison to any other band/artist.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Maybe Axl just can't handle the thought of spending a large portion of his life locked in the studio making decisions

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/lars-ul … a-records/

James

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Maybe Axl just can't handle the thought of spending a large portion of his life locked in the studio making decisions

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/lars-ul … a-records/

That does sound brutal. Now I'm not surprised by the direction of  the new album.

The process should be more organic than that. Their situation would drive anyone crazy.

Rock bands...even on this level...should just go into a studio for 6-8 weeks and cook up an album. If it only leads to a handful of songs....just release an EP.

GNR's situation is easy peasy.... they're sitting on 20-25 year old songs.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

In the meantime, if they updated ATLAS and PERHAPS like they did for ABSURD and HARD SKOOL it would be nice.
After all, ABSURD and HARD SKOOL are two officially new songs.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Such negativity on here.

Don't you guys realise we are only 4 years away from the AFD 40th Anniversary Box Set? big_smile

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Metallica is out of ideas so they are throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks. They should just face the fact they are past it. Lars is making excuses for himself. They didn't have experience, leisure and money when they made Master of Puppets and Black Album?

The only reason the CD material is interesting is because it is 20 years old, recorded when the players were still in their prime. I would be very lukewarm towards a brand new GN'R album because I know 60 year olds rarely set the world on fire. It would be a curiosity, nothing more.

In that sense Axl is keeping it real. He's got nothing to say and he's not pretending otherwise.

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree with that…no way they could match up to the songs from 87-91

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Metallica is out of ideas so they are throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks. They should just face the fact they are past it. Lars is making excuses for himself. They didn't have experience, leisure and money when they made Master of Puppets and Black Album?

The only reason the CD material is interesting is because it is 20 years old, recorded when the players were still in their prime. I would be very lukewarm towards a brand new GN'R album because I know 60 year olds rarely set the world on fire. It would be a curiosity, nothing more.

In that sense Axl is keeping it real. He's got nothing to say and he's not pretending otherwise.

Do they really have to set the world on fire? What's wrong with just releasing a good song?

I use it as an example a lot....but it's relevant...

The Stones nearing 70....

If they can't come up with a song half as good as that....I've been following the wrong band for decades.

He's had little to say most of his career unfortunately. Other than Slash/Steph, last time he had something relevant to say was in 1990 with Civil War....to the point where that song is an anomaly in the discography.

Edit

Catcher in the Rye....but that flew under the radar.

Sky Dog wrote:

The only time he had anything to say is when he was hungry. I don’t fault him at all when he decided to shut down for what amounts to personal reasons after he solidified his legacy. The locker tapes alone have way more than 3-4 quality songs. I think we got the 2 worst of the bunch…..incredibly frustrating. Listen to D Tune, Circus Maximus, Me & My Elvis, Tonto Oklahoma etc….those songs are way more interesting than Silk  and Hard. No way in hell there aren’t vocals on those.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

The only time he had anything to say is when he was hungry. I don’t fault him at all when he decided to shut down for what amounts to personal reasons after he solidified his legacy.

My only criticism on this issue is the fact that he wasn't willing to admit it publicly like Billy Joel.

Instead....Axl, the rotating lineups, and his hangers on were willing to string along his hardcore base for literally 20 years.. and they did it with smiles on their faces.

It's unconscionable.

The Chinese carrot on a stick and AFD bait and switch were completely unnecessary. Had he/they just come clean and admit it's a nostalgia act, the fans would still show up to hear Jungle, PC, SCOM, etc. Actually....more might have showed up 2002-14 without the Chinese anchor around their necks.

The only thing "coming clean" would have impacted is the forums and the extreme hardcore base....who would either get over it or move on.

Hell....they still aren't willing to admit it this late in the game!

The locker tapes alone have way more than 3-4 quality songs. I think we got the 2 worst of the bunch…..incredibly frustrating

Which means there's 20 songs left.

In a perfect world....they would just unload this in one shot, market it as a brand new reunion album, and then tour behind it and 1 or 2 more deluxe editions/box sets the rest of the way.

It's not a perfect world...so we'll get one or two more songs and the rest will be released after he dies.

Board footer