You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Me And My Elvis Instrumental Leak (2019)

AtariLegend wrote:
Axl S wrote:

While I don't think it's as clear cut as the New Song 2/Prostitute debacle, the possibility is there.

It could be always considered part of The General and it's just that, a song with two parts.

It could be Monstrosity.

It could be Soul Monster. It's also possible Monstrosity was another working title for Soul Monster.

We won't know unless someone gets to ask questions, or if the band ever just speaks.

Right now you can pay $100 for five minutes of chatting with Robin Finck. There is one way you might be able to find out.

Maybe it's what can "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" became.

I still think people are reading too much into lyrics Nd words that Axl occasionally reuses.

Had he said "Soul Monster" I could have bought it. I don't buy Monsters as being their most "black sabbath" moment either.

Regardless, I'm updating the name of the thread.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Axl S wrote:

While I don't think it's as clear cut as the New Song 2/Prostitute debacle, the possibility is there.

It could be always considered part of The General and it's just that, a song with two parts.

It could be Monstrosity.

It could be Soul Monster. It's also possible Monstrosity was another working title for Soul Monster.

We won't know unless someone gets to ask questions, or if the band ever just speaks.

Right now you can pay $100 for five minutes of chatting with Robin Finck. There is one way you might be able to find out.

I still think people are reading too much into lyrics Nd words that Axl occasionally reuses.

We heard this exact same argument during song 2/Prostitute when he says Prostitute.

Maybe it's what can "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" became.

Yeah that's certainly possible.  It kinda fits.

I don't buy Monsters as being their most "black sabbath" moment either.

Their song descriptions always left much to be desired.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

I don't think Monsters is Soul Monster. Wasn't 'Leave Me Alone' another working title for it? I don't see that working for Monsters.
Also Me And My Elvis was such a strong instrumental. It must have been on Axl's shortlist. Hard to imagine it ended up on the abandoned pile..

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

When he made the Black Sabbath comment he also said people probably would disagree with his comparison 16

It sounds much closer to what he described as Soul Monster than Me and My Elvis. Going out on a limb and saying My Elvis it’s actually Seven.

There are orchestrations, Brain described Seven (basically) as a ballad with a heavy chorus

James

James wrote:

Going out on a limb and saying My Elvis it’s actually Seven.

That would rule out Circus Maximus.

In other words...no matter how we crumble this cookie...at least one killer instrumental was likely shit canned fairly early in the saga.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Elvis as Seven doesn't make any sense to me. Elvis was mixed and ready to go in March 2000. Brain mentioned writing Seven with Xtract alongside The General before HOB 2001.

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Elvis as Seven doesn't make any sense to me. Elvis was mixed and ready to go in March 2000. Brain mentioned writing Seven with Xtract alongside The General before HOB 2001.

The issue with looking at everything in chronological order...and based on 15-20 year old comments...is the fact they clearly started cannibalizing their own songs at some point.

When listening to Eye On You did you think it would get Axl "flown in" to Hard School 20 years later?

Now we've got The General and whatever anyone thinks Monsters is as one song.

For all we know, Me and My Elvis had 5 seconds "flown in" to Circus Maximus and that's Seven.

They only had so many songs to work with. When nothing new gets created past a certain point and you still haven't finished it, it's gonna turn into the Donner party.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ this. Look at Shacklers, that was like three Bucket songs melded together. Just looked Seven up on whispers and can’t find where Brain said he wrote it? I know Marco wrote a guitar line for it when it came to him in 03

AgesOfTheIce

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

The issue with looking at everything in chronological order...and based on 15-20 year old comments...is the fact they clearly started cannibalizing their own songs at some point.

When listening to Eye On You did you think it would get Axl "flown in" to Hard School 20 years later?

Now we've got The General and whatever anyone thinks Monsters is as one song.

For all we know, Me and My Elvis had 5 seconds "flown in" to Circus Maximus and that's Seven.

They only had so many songs to work with. When nothing new gets created past a certain point and you still haven't finished it, it's gonna turn into the Donner party.

Yeah, it's technically possible but there's no reason to think that, other than desperately hoping Axl didn't ditch the Elvis instrumental.

AgesOfTheIce

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^ this. Look at Shacklers, that was like three Bucket songs melded together. Just looked Seven up on whispers and can’t find where Brain said he wrote it? I know Marco wrote a guitar line for it when it came to him in 03

From the AFD podcast 2019: "It’s funny because how ‘The General’ came about was we were supposed to, you know, this was like building up to that show. Everybody was like “Hey if anybody has songs or shit you can bring them in. So that song, ‘The General’ was a song that from when [inaudible] and [inaudible] and I, when I wasn’t doing Guns stuff would just jam in my living room type of thing. I had a pro tool setup, we were jamming, we were trying to come up with songs for Guns and we had this song called, well we called it ‘The General’ because we were eating general’s chicken. Yet, when I turned it in to Axl [Rose] he thought it was called ‘The General’ because I was making fun of Tommy [Stinson] and Tommy was kind of the band MD, he was the musical director when we would have rehearsals and Axl thought i was kind of poking fun at Tommy like a general. Like sort of a ‘hey we’re rehearsing at this time’ and that kind of shit. I was like ‘no dude, it’s because we ate general’s chicken.

Yeah, it’s funny because you said ‘The General’ and it all comes back around because we were writing all these songs to try and turn in. Xtract is sort of this old school DJ type, he’s a bass player but he loves old school break beats and you know, cratedigger type of guy. So, the shit we were putting together was crazy. We were going ‘OK what sample should we find for Axl? Well he’s sort of like Julius Ceasar’ so we were trying to sample stuff that reflected that. We were looking for old school, crazy shit and I think we sampled Ben-Hur, chopped it up, cut it up and that became a jam, I think we called it ‘Seven’."

Board footer