You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Should Chinese Democracy be released for free??

James wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't think it should be released for free, I think with the amount of tracks that leaked and may leak in the future we got our free tracks, without Axl's blessing.

You're missing the point of releasing this free. It has nothing to do with getting it for free. No one here has problems with paying 10 to 15 bucks for a disc.

Its a way to get this on the radar and done with and not face the same scrutiny. Axl gets to cash a couple hundred million dollar check at reunion time. CD is chump change.

Money should be an afterthought. He's already mega rich and is gonna be even richer if certain dominoes fall.

Axl can pay the Uni tab with the receipt from one night at Giants stadium.

The album needs to be released in a quick fashion because the whole thing is on the verge of leaking. Like I already mentioned, when this album leak is done, the real album is pretty much worthless. The reviews will have already been written, and a legacy of sorts already forming. Is the 5th version of IRS with a new cast really gonna make a difference?

They don't need to be thinking about two or three month release strategy. We're probably gonna get the rest of the album if/when the next leak happens.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's not a bad idea, but the label would need concrete evidence that the reunion would happen, and I just don't think they could get that.

Big labels don't break their own rules, and having sunk 13 mil into this it doesn't seem like they would be able to get behind this.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Nice idea in theory, don't see it happening though.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I like this idea and think it could work.  CD needs something creative and this could be the way to go.  Even just releasing the first single or a few tracks for free that were an official release would create a bigger buzz then leaks.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

I think alot of people will just illegally download it for free anyway

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Nice idea in theory, don't see it happening though.

DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't think it should be released for free, I think with the amount of tracks that leaked and may leak in the future we got our free tracks, without Axl's blessing.

i'm kinda in the middle of these 2 opinions

James Lofton wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You're missing the point of releasing this free. It has nothing to do with getting it for free. No one here has problems with paying 10 to 15 bucks for a disc.

Its a way to get this on the radar and done with and not face the same scrutiny. Axl gets to cash a couple hundred million dollar check at reunion time. CD is chump change.

Money should be an afterthought. He's already mega rich and is gonna be even richer if certain dominoes fall.

Axl can pay the Uni tab with the receipt from one night at Giants stadium.

The album needs to be released in a quick fashion because the whole thing is on the verge of leaking. Like I already mentioned, when this album leak is done, the real album is pretty much worthless. The reviews will have already been written, and a legacy of sorts already forming. Is the 5th version of IRS with a new cast really gonna make a difference?

They don't need to be thinking about two or three month release strategy. We're probably gonna get the rest of the album if/when the next leak happens.

This is all depends on IF he and the others ever agree to do a reunion.   I really don't see that happening, I've always been of the opinion that it's just not going to happen, really based on what Slash has said.

I also think that curiosity alone is going to fuel CD once it comes out rather then leaking the album first.  With everything we've already got, it's fuel enough to want to hear the absolute finished product.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Well, let's face it, if you want it for free, you will get it for free. Why not offer it free for a week or so, then drop it in stores. People who want the high quality free stuff can download it. If you want the whole package in stores, throw in a DVD or bonus disc. Everyone's happy.

As for a reunion, why tie it to CD and why use it as a way for Uni to recoup money? Axl isn't driven by the almighty dollar or we would have had CD by now. Besides why in the fuck would you want to see them if they are in it for the money. I want their heart in it. I don't want Slash to pretend to like Axl again just so he could cash a big check that he couldn't earn as a solo artist or with VR.

There's nothing worse than a half-assed effort masquerading as the real thing. The only way this ends is if Axl sees CD through to the end the way he wants it. In the meantime, we get what leaks, which will eventually be the whole damn thing.

Don't settle or wish for a cash-grab tour. We've been through that already.

If they are gonna go that route though, you gotta wait till Steven is clean or take Frank or Brain. That other asshole doesn't need to make any more money off the GNR name.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Alot depends on the members & former members contracts. If BH, Brain & Robin are to get a portion of sales $$, they likely wouldn't go for the free download, since they won't be touring on the post release GnR tour. Now, if they were strictly annual salaried employees paid during studio sessions (maybe that's all they were, hence they bolted/were let go), they wouldn't care as they have no vested interest in album sales.

Board footer