You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Why are people so obsessed with celebrities?

Tommie wrote:

I was just flipping through the channels and of course I came across atleast ten different shows dealing with celebrities.  The kicker was on the tv guide channel.  They were doing horoscopes on Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's (just born) babies.  It really got me thinking.  Why in the hell are we as a culture so obessesed with celebrities?  You have entertainment tonight, TMZ, E!, Inside Edition, The Insider, not to mention how all the big name news networks cover "the biggest" celebrity news of the day.  I sign into AIM for the first time in months, and lo and behold on the front page two of the biggest news stories they are covering is Brooke Hogan talking about her fucked up family, and Jessica Simpson / Tony Romo.

So why do you think so many people care so much about celebrities?  Is it because of what they do?  You see them on tv or in the movies and you envy them, then that manifests itself into an unhealthy obessesion because you want to emulate or be like them? 

Is it that there are so many news networks and tv shows covering celebrities that some people buy into it.  Almost like "oh Fox News is covering how Brittney Spears is crazy and just ran over some photographers foot... since its on fox news/cnn/msnbc it must be important". 

The only celebrity I've ever had any kind of obsession about was Mary Tyler Moore (yes I used to watch the Dick Van Dyke show when i was really young), and Axl Rose.  Mary Tyler Moore was just a ten year old having a big crush on a girl, and I grew out of the obsessive Axl Rose fan years ago. 

Opinions?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm only obsessed with hot female celebrities.  I don't care about the rest of them.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact." - Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

A very interesting question. Obviously, the word 'celebrity' is closely related to the verb 'celebrate', as in 'a celebrated person'. Back in the day, people were indeed literally celebrated for their insight, craftmanship or beneficial deeds towards society. They were the talk of the town; hence, they were well-known. The concept was simple: certain individuals gained fame for their positive actions, attributes and/or deeds, in which cases they became pinnacles of the society, resulting in setting an example to the commons. But that's low-key celebritarianism (a term shamelessly nicked from Marilyn Manson).

The worship received by the likes of Axl Rose is also connected to the hero cults. If we take him as a case example, many people relate distinct feelings and events of their personal lives to the music and lyrics of Guns N' Roses, at which point the image they have of the songs, the music and the band begins to live a life of its own in their respective minds. The conception of GNR and Axl may begin to receive shades which are in no direct contact to his person or the reality surrounding the band, as they are the creation of ones personal imagination. At some point, Axl may indeed come across as somone speaking directly to you, understanding how you feel and belting your pain out in a manic frenzy. At this point, when one sees him onstage, he sees not Axl Rose, the frontman, but Axl Rose, the 'voice of me', an illusion put on a pedestal, which caters an idealistic view of the world.

Of course, these people often sympathatize greatly with the real-life counterparts of their private heroes, living vicariously through the ups and downs of their professional careers and often the personal lives as well. This is all within maintaining a certain connection to the hero as a living entity, rather than an immaterial being which lives on in recordings and posters on the wall. Axl's seclusion from the society certainly made it easier for a lot of people to digest the downfall of the original lineup, as they were able to shelter themselves around the idea that the brilliant hermit has gone into isolation to create an album compared to which all previous, beloved releases have been the merest taper.

By this, I am referring to 'hero identification', which is essentially the same thing as reading a book or watching a movie in which one noticeably roots to the protagonist. Enough similar traits or experiences are to be found in the hero for the connection to be realized, at which point the spectator bonds with him and begins to co-exist as that person, who has traits the spectator finds desireable to his own character. At this point, we're leering towards fan culture in general, which goes on to show the wide array of topics your simple question covers.

Despite the level of mental involvement towards the 'hero' or 'idol', fans are basically out to practice their primordial hunter/gatherer-instincts. They spent more time on the subject in general than a person not particularly in the same area would, wish to converse with likeminded people and have a desire to acquire memorabilia, information, what-have-you on the subject. In short, they're out to create groups around a certain idea. It's a very human characteristic and the world of the computers is making it all the more easier. One thing I found about fan societies is an interesting one, and relates directly to the GNR communities, for one:

"The likelihood for a subject of interest to be elevated to the level of fandom appears to be dictated by its complexity. Complexity allows further involvement of fans for a longer period of time because of the time needed to work the subject of interest 'out.' It also contributes to a greater sense of belonging because of the mental effort invested in the subject. This could be why sci-fi is so popular, some fans feel the need to work out all the scientific kinks in these programs. One example for Star Trek is that a group of fans designed blueprints for federation starships."  - Wikipedia

Obviously, CD fits the bill!

But I digress. I'm now hoping to mention the mass media and provide hopefully with some clouded conclusions. As television and the internet now greatly command the Western worlds perception of things, celebrities no longer need to establish themselves through merit. As the talk of the town can now be moderated through electric communication, people merely need to be put on display (as in Robert Ripley's Odditorium) and treated with an advertising campaign in order to receive a 'well-known' status. Paris Hilton makes a good example. While her last name evokes certain connotations within us, it was the sex tape that got people to know her. After that, film appearances, reality shows, records, perfumes and court cases have been sold to the public not for their particular merits (if any), but by the fact that they are related to Paris Hilton, the chick from the nightshot wank fest.

Therefore, at this point, the concept of celebrity has been turned completely around and certain people 'break through' before they have managed to forge an identity (artistic or otherwise) to earn their celebrity status. Now, the celebrity status is used to market their subsequent ventures, making them what have been called 'human pseudo-events', well-known for being well-known. This also (rather alarmingly) suggest towards branding people like trademarks, with various consumer products released during their tick-tocking fifteen minutes of shame.

Capitalism has finally found a sure-proof way to gather the profits from the unassuming hunter-gatherer, who merely wishes to identify with his idol.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Would like to add that I certainly believe people like Paris Hilton live in a vast spiritual vacuum, as the world around them is essentially fabricated. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that Axl, for one, has been desperately longing to establish a greater spiritual framework to his own life, with perpetual associations to various New Age groups in the 90's standing as proof for that. Ironically, his professional career relates quite well to the Aristotelian myth of the tragic hero.

Such are the five traits of a tragic hero:

1. Nobility (of a noble birth) or wisdom (by virtue of birth). (In Axl's case, the release of AFD, and the eventual rise to fame.)

2. Hamartia (translated as flaw or error in judgment). Either a mistake in the character's actions or in his personality that leads to a downfall. (The UYI tour, letting things go over his head, the departure of Izzy. Awkward stage antics, riots and rants.)

3. A reversal of fortune (peripeteia) brought about because of the hero's Hamartia. (The departure of Slash and inevitably, Duff and Matt. The disbanding of the group that made him in the first place.)

4. The discovery or recognition that the reversal was brought about by the hero's own actions (anagnorisis) (Jury's still out on this one.)

5. The audience must feel pity and fear (fear that it could have been them) (catharsis) for the character. (Struggle for a new album. The release of CD and settling of the scores. A reckoning.)

However, it should be noted that the end of the tragic hero is caused by an irreversible mistake, and the story ends with an honorable death. Therefore, if Axl faces the music and releases CD, his best efforts will cause his demise, at least in a professional sense. He can never undo the damage caused at an earlier point, while he may be able to level his karma.

The CD saga is basically Theatrics 101. I'm not sure whether Axl himself would enjoy the situation, but that's showbiz.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact." - Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Especially here in the US. We have been drenched in this shit since childhood. When I was 13 I wanted to be the next Jim Kelly and dominate in the NFL. At 14 I'm smoking weed and by 15 snorting coke, meth, and other assorted goodies.

Obviously I wasn't on the high school football field completing 40 yard passes.

There's that saying "it's never too late", but for some things it is.

Everyone reaches the point where they realize things aren't gonna be like they were supposed to be. Its a shock to the system. The younger generation has it even worse because of youtube/myspace,etc. The mirage is that getting the "fame" becomes easier, but in reality its the opposite. You are now competing with millions of others for that same "fame", and its just not gonna happen.No matter how many "friends" you have on myspace.

Its why crime is getting worse. Not an increase itself, but the severity of the crimes themselves. Go read the news. Suicides will go up.

Jill Public thinks she's gonna be the next Tila Tequila when in reality she's just gonna be a nobody on the internet with 40,000 "friends" she knows nothing about.

This culture is complete garbage. It'll be even worse in twenty years.

People are fascinated with celebrities because it takes them away from reality. Its like a drug.

People want to be celebrities when they grow up, reality hits, then they envy what they couldn't become.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Great, great thread.

Celebrities used to be a good thing. You'd strive to become another Euclid, Achilles, Caesar or Alexander. You may not end up the next king of Asia, but in the very least you'd be inspired to channel your efforts and resources to do something worthwhile with your life. Be it an honorable man, a good wife, a respected friend or wise leader. In the old days you had to do something of significance for people to care. They were the light of society everybody else followed. They ultimately produced growth and creativity in society.

The same principle apply today, but they have been hijacked. At the dawn of the information age some very clever marketing men discovered that you don't really need to be important, you just need the illusion of being important. This happened in the old days as well, such as the Tulip craze in the Netherlands, Robert Ford and probably most significant of all, the worship of gods. But it was an odd thing, and the scheme usually fell through when smart men with high status starting telling the rest what a sham it was.

Today we're not dependent on word of mouth or real value. All you need is the push of a button and you'll influence millions upon millions of human beings through television, cinema, magazines, radio and newspapers. Cause if something is everywhere it means something right? Yeah, it means you've been duped, manipulated and fucked around with. This however passes Joe Pizza by cause he's overstimulated by commercials, cell phones, facebook, work, kids, wife, shrinks and glowing lights. There's no time to to relax. There's no time to think. Just react and buy. React. Buy. Consume. Pay tax. Die.

This is why I threw out my antenna and cable a couple of years ago. It's dangerous. Your brain can and will turn to mosh. I also stay away from all lifestyle, fashion, hit of the week magazines, movies, music etc. It's not easy though. One step outside the door and you'll be staring into a big ass poster telling you if you're not Brad Pitt you may as well go kill yourself.

And people wonder why crimes and suicides go up? People simply can't handle the pressure, and it's getting worse by the minute. I think this thread alone is reason to seriously reconsider our current societal structure.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Unless they're female and taking their clothes off...

Don't care

*yeah i'm a pig*

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I don't see why people would want to become the next Paris Hilton.  I wouldn't want my life, and sex life, available to anyone in the world.  That's not my ideal life.  How are you supposed to have a family or go shopping without people recognizing you and hounding you for an autograph.

I don't get my generation.

Board footer