You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The post GNR resume of the "rest of the boys" is extremely dull. The songs all basically sound the same. Slash wouldn't step out of his comfort zone if he had a gun aimed at his head. You can enjoy the safe bland rock, but its not "miles and miles" above anything. In fact, its just the same old shit.

We could say that about everything though.

I mean OMG, Shackler's and Ryhad..all sound like the same thing to me. I like all three of them - but they are very similar in style to each other - just the way say "Dime Store Rock" and "Soma City Ward" from snakepit are similar in style...

And TWAT and Song #2 are basicly the same kind of ballad as Breakdown and Noverber Rain....

In music EVERYTHING is the same old shit.....

End of the day - CD seems like its going to be a cool album, and Slash is also an amazing musician...why do people have to like one or the other? I don't get it smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

why do people have to like one or the other? I don't get it smile

ding ding ding ding .... we have a winner!!!! *karma*

you my friend have asked the million dollar question which noone ever answers

IMO the reason is because when Slash left GnR an unspoken rift appeared in the gnr fanbase...subconsciously people picked sides and do to this day

and for those of us who didn't its hard to be a fan of both guys cuz someone somewhere slags off on one of the 2....and usually that fan fires back a retort in defense of either Axl or Slash which in turn makes that person a troll 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

and for those of us who didn't its hard to be a fan of both guys cuz someone somewhere slags off on one of the 2....and usually that fan fires back a retort in defense of either Axl or Slash which in turn makes that person a troll 16

Hahha....so true. My problem is I totally love all of them. But i can see every side of it all. So i can see faults in Axl, Slash and Bucket's antics from time to time... but also so many reasons why they are awesome musicians!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

From Matt's Blog

Hey all,

Have been over on The VR myspace site
getting photos up and stuff.
The rest of the boys have kids and all so I am the one to do it I guess

Have some exciting stuff for VR real soon, I know I've been sayin that
but is going to get fun in a minute

stay tuned

Matt

10:14 PM

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Awesome...i'm pumped for VR with a new singer...get some chemestry really flowing....could be great!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wish they could blow my fucking mind with their choice, but I have my doubts.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I somehow doubt they'll blow my mind either, but I hope.

Just no one that sounds anything like Weiland. I want someone who can screech a bit. I always found the pairing of Slash and Weiland just odd. I don't think he did anything to make Slash's playing any better. In GNR, Axl's vocals really brought me into the music (and his lyrics) and vice versa, but Weiland just reminds me of some worm on the mic.

I still like VR enough.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

Just no one that sounds anything like Weiland. I want someone who can screech a bit. I always found the pairing of Slash and Weiland just odd. I don't think he did anything to make Slash's playing any better. In GNR, Axl's vocals really brought me into the music (and his lyrics) and vice versa, but Weiland just reminds me of some worm on the mic.

I still like VR enough.

I agree...i actually like Scott's voice and some VR and STP songs a hell of a lot...but that said...it was never a good match for Slash's playing I think.

The problem is Slash wants someone with a ot of musicallity to their voice...which is why he didn't like Josh Todd from buckcherry. Too much of the yelling all in the same key.

the problem is scott does the musical singing but nothing else.

What we need is him to find someone like Axl - who is very musical with his own harmony parts and all that but also has a bad ass screaming or intensity ability. Which was why i thought baz would have been a good choice...because he can "sing" a ballad...or he can scream your balls off...but I can see that baz is limited in that he has a very distinctive sound that would give things a skid row flavour. But we need someone like that...musical but with some rage too!

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

I still like VR enough.

I agree...i actually like Scott's voice and some VR and STP songs a hell of a lot...but that said...it was never a good match for Slash's playing I think.

The problem is Slash wants someone with a ot of musicallity to their voice...which is why he didn't like Josh Todd from buckcherry. Too much of the yelling all in the same key.

the problem is scott does the musical singing but nothing else.

What we need is him to find someone like Axl - who is very musical with his own harmony parts and all that but also has a bad ass screaming or intensity ability. Which was why i thought baz would have been a good choice...because he can "sing" a ballad...or he can scream your balls off...but I can see that baz is limited in that he has a very distinctive sound that would give things a skid row flavour. But we need someone like that...musical but with some rage too!

That's one thing I'm definitely against, some asshole who just screams all the time for the hell of it. I think Baz, regardless of "Skid Roses" jokes, is the ideal fit. I realize Slash wants a really musical voice and I can really understand that and I think he does require it, but the type of rock he brings to the table, to me anyways, requires a very distinct singer. And I think if you can't get a guy like Baz, it's just not going to work as well as it could. Like I said on here somewhere earlier, I would take Izzy and Duff singing in a van tour over Scott VR; but that's a major "hit" to the music as a whole. Scott does have better range and all that, which is to be expected from a big rock group like VR. I just don't think his voice suits the music. That's what's important. It's like half the time I listen to VR and I'm impressed as fuck, whenever Weiland's vocals suit the music. Set Me Free, Slither, Fall to Pieces, She Builds Quick Machines, are great for his vocals, but then others it just seems out of place. Basically, his voice is good for some hits, not so good for the meat of the album. So Fine or 14 Years or Double Talkin' Jive without Axl on the vocals are the songs that cement great albums because the songs were right for Duff or Izzy.

Sort of like Vince Neil on the new Crue Album, yeah, he's that typical "80s singer", but he changes his voice up just enough so it's not gratingly 80s (not that I personally have a problem with that, but I know it's a major issue for most). It's like meeting in the middle. A bit of a modern voice with the old stuff culminating in something that compliments the music. If only Saints of Los Angeles was a better album as a whole, but I digress. What I did dig about Weiland was his sort of deep-ish voice he'd sing in (ie: "your little secret will be safe with me"; Axl-ish in a way), but there was no badass Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, etc... style singing to counter that. I know Vince Neil isn't the greatest example, but it should be a decent enough attempt at an explanation. I guess it's just a matter of knowing where you're going but not forgetting where you've been. The music is like that, just not the vocals.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

people can rip slash all they want - he's not in the band anymore and this a guns n roses webiste.

This is why I'm drawing the comparison between recent changes here and good ol' HTGTH.

James, I love this site and you know that. Obviously things are not as bad as they are on HTGTH, but the latest "evolutions" haven't made it any better. It's an analogy that wasn't meant to offend, so my apologies if it did.

Just to make one thing clear: I do want GNR to make another AFD type album, maybe an AFD+ if you will; that album is the reason I love GNR. Don't tell me to listen to the old albums if I like the old music so much. I want new music, in the style of the old albums. Why is that so wrong? Why does everybody need to act like I'm some sort of has-been living in the past, assume I'm incapable of liking other, newer music? I'm not stuck in the eighties just 'cause I love hard rock. Fuck that, I fucking resent those remarks. My musical tastes are more varied than any of you might imagine. I absolutely love Zombie, Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, The Raconteurs, Scissor Sisters, ... yet I prefer AFD type music. That just takes the fuckin' crown for me.

Don't fault me for my musical tastes, and don't fault me for the fact that I would presume fellow GNR fans would actually feel the same.

Board footer