You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Atheists - An Increasingly Outspoken Minority

jamester wrote:

[youtube]sC9-qXCoFe8&feature=player_embedded#[/url]![/youtube]

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You can thank hypocritical, uneducated, facistic preachers who turned Church Sundays into high school cliques for all of that.

It's buried God, and those numbers will continue to go down as a new generation of technology-induced narcissists correlate self-destructive behavior with "fun".

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that...are you saying atheists are 'techonology-induced narcissists'?

Your thoughts wreck of personal bias. I'm a happy, healthy...well adjusted atheist...thanks.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Nah, atheists are not who i'm targeting. It's more the young adults/tech-gen that I was targeting.

Atheists have ALWAYS been around and always will be. They're just as entitled to their opinion as anyone else. I actually respect them more sometimes, because alot of them back up their thoughts with educated, thought-provoking stuff. Unlike those who just say "it's in the Bible", or the new generation who rely on Fox & CNN to tell them everything about the world and refuse to learn anything, pro or anti-religion.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I have some ideas about this already...but I can tell it makes some people very uncomfortable when I announce that I am an atheist. Why is that?

Communist China

I try not to carry beliefs, and I've certainly never been religious, but I don't self identify as atheist even if I often lean that way.

This probably isn't an answer to mitch's question but I've always wondered how true believers can be friends with non-believers. When the text that you treat as 'the word of God' makes it clear that those who disbelieve will go to hell (actually I can't quote any scripture on that but I'm fairly sure it's there), it seems to me that the believer would be stuck looking at the person in terms of 'they're going to hell'. Hell being literally the worst possible state in any plane of existence, how could a religious person manage to be friendly and cordial to someone who they 'know' are doomed to it?

I get easily offended by people who push their beliefs on others, so I'm thankful for their ability to bite their tongue, but wouldn't a believer with non-believer friends be desperate to 'save' them?

I don't think I could look at anyone the same if I felt that their future involved the most severe pain and suffering that it's possible to experience.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's so funny to read some of your stuff Axlin It's like atheists are thought to be some kind of evil people or weird people who is people "but not really". But you didn't mean exactly that, and I get it. But it's very American of you tongue

Don't worry mitchejw, I don't know where you're from, but if you tell people here you're atheist they would act as if you told people in your country you were religious. In fact, we react to those those openly christians/muslims/whatever with uncomfortable feelings. I don't know how to act around young christian people, and neither do a lot of people. It's all turned upside down here. If one 20 year old guy comes forward and tells me "I am Christian!" I would be like..."errr..dude..ok?" and act all weird.

Being atheist is the rule instead of the exception here, and I take pride in it and that Europe is heading away from it.

I can call myself an atheist, but I can also call myself agnostic. However, I don't believe one second in either religious miracles, Jaweh or virgin births. It's theories and thoughts out-dated and shouldn't be taken seriously anymore.

I don't deny the fact it can be something after we die. I have high hopes we might continue to live on as a form of energy in another dimension, maybe a see a few dead relatives. It's a nice thought. But as my wife said; "Is it likely? No."

And if we are to discuss the origins of men, the creation, I do like the idea of "intelligent design". That is, aliens and not Yaweh.

I have a lot of interest in the ancient astronaut theory. It's a wild one, but holds a lot weight once you dig into it. I'm interested in UFO's (and when I say UFO's I mean aliens or time travellers). All very interesting things.

But traditional Gods and prophets? Nope. Not one bit.

And where I'm from, that's the majority.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I can't say I'm an atheist but I certainly don't hold onto any specific religious beliefs and I definately don't buy the whole Jesus story the way it's presented by so called Christians.   I find it extremely arrogant and self righteous for people to denounce any possibility of a God and yet I find it equally arrogant for people to claim without a shadow of a doubt that their god is in fact the only true god. Like all the others who hold an equally strong faith are just wrong. That's arrogance personified when there is in fact no substantial proof for any of these gods.  It's about one person's faith but the minute you start preaching it to others  in a "matter of fact" way you've become an asshole.

This is an excellent read in support of why people are athiests. I agree with much of it, although like I said I don't necessarily feel I'm 100% an athiest. I'm much more of an agnostic.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/ … n-atheist/

and as far as organized religions go one of my favorite quotes is from Bono

~ "Religion is what happened when God left the room" ~

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What are you guys talking about? I never said anything bad about atheists. I actually defended them.

I was talking about the FB & Twitter gen.

I'm gonna break down some of this stuff later when I have the time.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I would say i'm agonostic because to me the only people that can know the truth about what happens after you die, if anything, are those who have died.

Anything else is speculation. There is no way to 100% know there is NOT an afterlife, just as there is no way to know there 100% IS.

The ancient Egyptions used to beleive that when you die Anubus tears out your heart and mesaures it against a feather, and if it is lighter then you proceed to the next life.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7q0f3O4fwV4MavHLv3YXso4a0k3rZ32Ohktjj7RH0djYBfd31jA

It was believed just as strongly as modern day religions believe in their respective gods and views. Which to me shows that really we just don't know what will happen either way.

Board footer