You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Chinese is cooked and done....make every cent back you can. A  reissue is FUCKIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put out a new album or dump everything in a box....one or the other. If not those two, then retire the Gnr brand or reunite.... a pretty simple business plan. 4 options...choose one and go with it.

A divine proclamation of the Lord himself.

I shall ride into Kentucky, then to Virginia, and I shall spread the word.

Yours,

Colonel Hiram Ackslen O'Ate

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

CD is now up to #4 on Best Buy's site.  Granted it's probably mostly due to us hardcores buying multiple copies AGAIN!  And I say that because I know a lot of people have done so, me included.  But also, I don't think Best Buy has made it very well known that this deal is going on.  If it was advertised properly I think more casual fans would pick it up.  In keeping with the "Chinese Democracy" theme though, that can't possibly happen.

I've never believed their sales statistics since the beginning of this fiasco. They listed it as a chart topper back when it was selling a couple hundred copies a week. They just fudge numbers in an attempt to move an exclusive product.

JExsS.jpg

If it was a chart topper, why so many CD copies but so few M.I.A. copies?

answer: Because Best Buy is full of shit.

madagas wrote:

Chinese is cooked and done....make every cent back you can. A  reissue is FUCKIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put out a new album or dump everything in a box....one or the other. If not those two, then retire the Gnr brand or reunite.... a pretty simple business plan. 4 options...choose one and go with it.

What ^ said. It's 2011. This album was burnt toast three years ago. I can understand Best Buy wanting to unload all those beer coasters but GNR should have moved on from this weeks after it was released.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

engrish-funny-what-crap-for-what-a-discount.jpg

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

CD is now up to #4 on Best Buy's site.  Granted it's probably mostly due to us hardcores buying multiple copies AGAIN!  And I say that because I know a lot of people have done so, me included.  But also, I don't think Best Buy has made it very well known that this deal is going on.  If it was advertised properly I think more casual fans would pick it up.  In keeping with the "Chinese Democracy" theme though, that can't possibly happen.

I've never believed their sales statistics since the beginning of this fiasco. They listed it as a chart topper back when it was selling a couple hundred copies a week. They just fudge numbers in an attempt to move an exclusive product.

http://i.imgur.com/JExsS.jpg

If it was a chart topper, why so many CD copies but so few M.I.A. copies?

answer: Because Best Buy is full of shit.

James they bought over 1.5 million copies and have yet to sell half of that amount, THAT'S why there's so many left in the stores and the reason they're so desperately trying to get rid of them at $1.99.  I don't know why it's so hard to believe that it would be the 4th best selling CD at Best Buy.  I bought 5 more copies, I know a lot of others that bought multiple copies.  That right there is enough evidence for me.  People don't buy CD's anymore.  Best Buy has no reason to lie about CD's sales at this point.  They aren't trying to push this thing, they're just hoping it'll go away.  They're not trying to fool anyone into thinking that they didn't make a colossal mistake in this whole mess.  No one would buy that, no matter what they put on their website.

And by the way, it's moved down to #6 since then.  But that's probably just a lie, right?  Why believe anything?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

James they bought over 1.5 million copies and have yet to sell half of that amount, THAT'S why there's so many left in the stores and the reason they're so desperately trying to get rid of them at $1.99.  I don't know why it's so hard to believe that it would be the 4th best selling CD at Best Buy.  I bought 5 more copies, I know a lot of others that bought multiple copies.  That right there is enough evidence for me.  People don't buy CD's anymore.  Best Buy has no reason to lie about CD's sales at this point.  They aren't trying to push this thing, they're just hoping it'll go away.  They're not trying to fool anyone into thinking that they didn't make a colossal mistake in this whole mess.  No one would buy that, no matter what they put on their website.

And by the way, it's moved down to #6 since then.  But that's probably just a lie, right?  Why believe anything?

They were claiming it was the top seller back when GaGa's albums were flying off the shelves. I can assure you that in no way, shape, or form was CD outselling The Fame Monster, not even in an alternate universe.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

They were claiming it was the top seller back when GaGa's albums were flying off the shelves. I can assure you that in no way, shape, or form was CD outselling The Fame Monster, not even in an alternate universe.

I do remember it being #1 there.  I don't remember the exact timeline, but let's say it DID sell the 500k or so in the first few months of its release.  Those sales all came from Best Buy.  Did Gaga, or anyone else, sell over 500k at Best Buy alone in a few months time?  From what I can tell, Best Buy is not the "go to" place for people who do buy CD's.  So again, I don't think it's that crazy to imagine that CD was number one when it was released and the following weeks/months afterward.  It eventually disappeared from their top sellers list.  If they were lying and just trying to push product exclusive to their store, why not keep the lie going? 

So now they put the CD on sale for $1.99, so they lie again and say it's #4?  But now it's fallen to #6.  I'm just not buying into all these conspiracy theories.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with faldor here. Just because The Fame Monster or Recovery are massive 'throwback' albums in sales, doesn't mean every single person is grabbing their copy from Best Buy.

BB is the ONLY place in America that you can buy CD.

Keep in mind, Wal-Mart sells GaGa too and I guarantee you they get more customers through the door than any other big box store out there, and they don't even stock CD.

It's not a far-fetched concept that out of what BB stocks-ONLY that CD is one of their bigger sellers in terms of units. Remember this is an album that still managed to go 'instant Gold' when it was released, behind Taylor Swift & Kanye West, and it was a BB-exclusive that was not promoted at all by BB or GN'R or Uni... and it still managed to do that solely at BB simply through word-of-mouth.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah but exactyl what gets you to #4 on bestbuy.com...i asked this in 2008 and again now...what does a chart topper have to sell to become #1 ! bestbestbuy.com?

jamester wrote:

"Chinese Democracy", the 2008 album released by the current edition of GUNS N' ROSES after a 15-year wait, sold around 3,200 copies in the United States in the week ending Sunday, April 3 — nearly three times the units (1,200) it shifted the previous week. As a result, the CD has re-entered The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 198.

so 3,200 copies gets you to #4? big whoop-dee-doo what gets you #1? 5,000? 16 no wonder it was #1 in 2008, it sold 261,000 in its first week as an exclusive...how many units of gaga wouldve moved the same week @ BB? 10,000? normally that wouldve crushed the competition 14

faldor

faldor wrote:

That's what I'm saying.  CD's just don't sell anymore.  Sales have been on the decline the last 10+ years and each year it gets worse.  So in 2008 it was better than it is now.  I don't know the figures, but from what I've heard, Best Buy is not a prime location for selling CD's.  So it doesn't surprise me that 3k units sold would be good enough for #4.  In fact, I'm a little surprised that's not enough for them to be higher than #4 at Best Buy AND #199 overall.  I also don't think any CD sold at Best Buy would eclipse the 10k mark, or at least not by much.

Board footer