You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:

What Axl should've done is promoted the album at all when it was released.

Fixed it

Agreed.  But, I went to several stores in the Bay Area of CA and I had to ask where the stand holding all the CDs was.  It seemed that the degree to which the album was promoted and was easy to find varied from store to store.

Ali

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/e … 72404.html

We have a 30 count box lot, new and sealed CDs of Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy for sale. These are not cut-outs or promos, but factory sealed CDs. $60.00 for a 30ct box lot is only two bucks a piece and great for resale during the upcoming festival season, on ebay or amazon.
Track Listing
1. Chinese Democracy
2. Shackler's Revenge
3. Better
4. Street of Dreams
5. If the World
6. There Was a Time
7. Catcher in the Rye
8. Scrapped
9. Riad N' the Bedouins
10. Sorry
11. I.R.S.
12. Madagascar
13. This I Love
14. Prostitute

Details
Producer: Axl Rose, Chris Pittman, Caram Costanzo, Chris Pitman, Sean Beavan, Eric Caudieux
Distributor: Universal Distribution
Recording Type: Studio
Recording Mode: Stereo
SPAR Code: n/a

Album Notes
Additional personnel: Roy Thomas Baker.
Audio Mixers: Mike Scielzi; Paul Saurez; Andy Wallace; Axl Rose; Caram Costanzo.
Like the hard-rock equivalent of Brian Wilson's SMILE, Guns N' Roses' CHINESE DEMOCRACY was one of the greatest records that never was--a project more fable than fact, more speculation than actualization. Created over 15 years with countless producers and musicians, the album often seemed as if it would remain forever mired in the swamps of Axl Rose's legendarily unpredictable personality. When the disc finally did appear, the musical landscape had changed so significantly that many wondered if Rose's fans even still cared.
What the faithful got for their undying loyalty may not have been classic GnR, but it was an unquestionably powerful slice of enigmatic, genre-pushing hard rock which retained some the group's famously rebellious attitude. Sonically, CHINESE DEMOCRACY benefited from its long gestation period by incorporating bits of many post-SPAGHETTI INCIDENT subgenres, including nu-metal, electronica, new garage rock, and post-grunge. Luckily, even after all his bizarre, Michael Jackson-like personal travails, Rose lost little of his lyrical bite, shooting back at disbelievers with the fervor of a much younger and hungrier artist, leaving admirers wondering if perhaps the best was still yet to come.

Editorial Reviews
3.5 stars out of 5 -- These aren't songs, they're suites -- hard-rock hydras cut with miasmic industrial grind, stadium-rattling metal solos, electronic drift and hip-hop churn.
Blender

3 stars out of 5 -- CHINESE DEMOCRACY reveals itself to be an ambitious, brave and expansive offering.
Mojo

The artist is in fine, ever-changing voice throughout, and there's certainly a ton of musical food for thought here, requiring several listens before the nuances are revealed.
Billboard

This is unapologetically huge music....The blistering 'Shackler Revenge' rides a sinister riff to headbanging heaven, while the piano-heavy 'Catcher in the Rye' showcases GN'R at their '70s-aping stadium best.
Entertainment Weekly

3.5 stars out of 5 -- The music toggles between two primary modes: grinding industrial rock and keys-and-strings balladry.
Spin

Ranked #39 in Spin's 40 Best Albums Of 2008 -- [i]t's no less idea-stuffed than USE YOUR ILLUSION I and II.
Spin

Ranked #12 in Rolling Stone's 50 Best Albums Of 2008 -- [i]t is audacious and unhinged...
Rolling Stone

4 stars out of 5 -- [A] great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record. In other words, it sounds a lot like the Guns n' Roses you know.
Rolling Stone

---------------------

Pretty soon they're gonna be dumping CD on the side of the road or they'll be in thrift stores for 25 cents.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:

What Axl should've done is promoted the album at all when it was released.

Fixed it

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get and have said that myself. But it wouldn't have hurt Best Buy to protect their own interests on it either.

Also, I almost did the same thing you did when I bought the Foo Fighters the other day too!

Best Buy knew they got hoodwinked on that deal as soon as they got the final version of the album. They gave up on it at that point and wrote it off as a giant sunk cost. 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:

Fixed it

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get and have said that myself. But it wouldn't have hurt Best Buy to protect their own interests on it either.

Also, I almost did the same thing you did when I bought the Foo Fighters the other day too!

Best Buy knew they got hoodwinked on that deal as soon as they got the final version of the album. They gave up on it at that point and wrote it off as a giant sunk cost. 16

Axl gave up on it too when it was released in a manner he didn't see fit, and probably even before or regardless of that.  So in a sense, the album never stood a chance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like I said, Dr. Pepper needs to jump on this opportunity.

Everyone gets a free copy of CD, with the purchase of a 20 oz. Dr. Pepper or Diet Dr. Pepper.

Chinese Democracy Starts NOW!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:

Axl gave up on it too when it was released in a manner he didn't see fit, and probably even before or regardless of that.  So in a sense, the album never stood a chance.

Yep. Axl/management had a lot to do with BB not promoting it. You can only do so much when the artist refuses to promote it and decides to just stay home. The funny thing that struck me was when Axl said BB asked for the first video and he seemed to be surprised that they anticipated a video... You know, Mr. Video himself surprised at the aspect of a video. From what we now know there were a lot of opportunites to make videos and for some reason nothing ever happened. Hell, they even have a video that was never released.

Ali

Ali wrote:

In the countersuit vs. Azoff, Axl's legal team said that Azoff never delivered on his promise to help develop a marketing plan for the album and to market it.  Do you guys agree or disagree that it is the manager and/or label's responsibility to develop a marketing plan?

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:

everybody has to take part....everyone dropped the ball on the whole project.

Ali

Ali wrote:
madagas wrote:

everybody has to take part....everyone dropped the ball on the whole project.

I don't disagree.  That was actually my point.  I think that if what is alleged in the countersuit is true, then management and the label played that role in how things developed.  That was their dropping of the ball. 

Obviously, Axl played his role as well in not doing interviews, etc.

Ali

ppp

ppp wrote:

I wouldn't consider putting the no-promotion blame on Irv, if it wasn't for the fact that he did this with his other clients. It's odd.

Take a look at Christina Aguilera, one of his longtime clients. She delays her album Bionic almost 4 years (a lifetime in the pop world), spends a ton of cash on it, promises fans it will be huge and then what happens? It comes out to almost no promotion and both she and Irv basically threw it under the bus to move onto other things (like Burlesque, which they were so convinced would win her an Oscar).

Board footer