You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

jamester wrote:
Neemo wrote:

nah it skips, in the middle of TIL...

ohh thats normal from robins solo 22

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I think Madagascar would have been a good first single, the lyrics and message of the song fit his return perfectly.

In a perfect world where I ran all things GNR, I'd have liked to have seen the songs released as double A sides over the course of just a few months:

1. Madgascar/Better

2. IRS/If The World

3. This I Love/There Was A Time

Boom there ya go... world domination 19

I'd like to see how this turned out in an alternate universe where at the 2002 VMA's they perform Better instead of that bullshit medley and the single hits the airwaves a week later before the buzz vaporized.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Looking back, that was THE HORRIBLY WASTED OPPORTUNITY OF THE ENTIRE NEW GUNS ERA.

I remember Axl Rose being THE top-discussion all over the place after that performance. Mostly how bad his voice was, and even more important how awful he looked, but interest was at the highest he could ever had dreamed it to be at that point. Even parodies were being done on SNL, late night shows were talking about, DJ's, watercooler talk. I remember going to school and it was THE hot topic of the VMA's. Some thought it sucked, some didn't know who he was, others thought it was the most bad ass thing in years, etc.

That week Axl should've dropped at least Maddy, because it was played at the VMA's, and ironically was THE STRONGEST SONG played at the VMA's. The new era song, and not the old stuff.

It literally was all downhill from there. He never ever got that kind of attention again. The 2006 return was only a big deal to the geeks. Outside of that, no one cared.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Looking back, that was THE HORRIBLY WASTED OPPORTUNITY OF THE ENTIRE NEW GUNS ERA.

I remember Axl Rose being THE top-discussion all over the place after that performance. Mostly how bad his voice was, and even more important how awful he looked, but interest was at the highest he could ever had dreamed it to be at that point. Even parodies were being done on SNL, late night shows were talking about, DJ's, watercooler talk. I remember going to school and it was THE hot topic of the VMA's. Some thought it sucked, some didn't know who he was, others thought it was the most bad ass thing in years, etc.

That week Axl should've dropped at least Maddy, because it was played at the VMA's, and ironically was THE STRONGEST SONG played at the VMA's. The new era song, and not the old stuff.

It literally was all downhill from there. He never ever got that kind of attention again. The 2006 return was only a big deal to the geeks. Outside of that, no one cared.

Hell, even if 2001 Axl showed up, it would have been much better. Something strange was going on with him in 02. He even kicked ass in RIO and Vegas before that whole tour. Then in 06 he's a bad ass again. Just don't get it. The only thing I can think of was that he really didn't want to do a tour and was forced into it, either by management or the fact the band was getting frustrated and restless. The lack of actitivity is the main reason why the 2 most important members left, Bucket and Finck, and you could even add Brain into that discussion to, as he was actually a writer for the band.

I really wish he would have sat 02 out and just busted CD out in 03 or 04 and the VMA's when he was ready. Can you imagine if this Axl showed up at the VMA's?

[youtube]bAr5YuMWwTM&feature=related[/youtube]

I'd take this Axl, too. He would've even been forgiven for being out of breath... That scream is fantasmic:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What alot of people don't realize is that 2001 Rio performance, was pretty much where he was at by the summer of 1993, except for the pitchiness.

And btw, that Rio III scream is the greatest Axl scream of all-time. I also was a big fan of the Rock Am Ring 2006 performance of Jungle, as one of my personal faves.

Ironically 2009-10 Guns is the closest to the original band the new band has gotten, yet there isn't a single performance from 2009-10 that has moved me, like those 2001-02/06-07 performances. Go figure. Maybe the only shout out I could give is to that London 2010 performance of You Could Be Mine with Duff.

Had Axl performed that Rio III performance at the 2002 VMA's, it would've brought the fuckin' house down. He sucked in 2002, and still got asses out of the seats like no other that night, imagine had the performance actually be solid.

But in all fairness, I remember when Rio III happened, and it made the news rounds a bit, and bootleg clips were on radio, and everyone was talking how bad, fat, voice blown and out of shape Axl was.

Even then his press was terrible, and the word on the street was "he'd lost it".

That performance has only been revered by new band fans in recent years.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Actually the RIO show got excellent reviews, but you're right that people in the press were focused on his "love handles."

He never went shirtless on stage again. That's really the only negative I remember. Even the Vegas shows got really good reviews.

I was following each show and each review very closely. Those were the days. A lot of excitement and CD was right around the corner big_smile

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Vegas got great reviews and it appeared music writers were very eager for his return with the new band at that time. It was one of the few times I recall that he ever had the press on his side, lol.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Music journalists were giving Rio & Vegas positive reviews.

But DJ's (despite everything, these guys people hear more) were playing isolated clips of Axl pitchy, and saying how awful he sounded, etc. just to slag the guy.

That's what I remember.

Nobody was playing that Jungle scream, they conviently skipped that part. roll

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

IRS is maybe the worst GNR song of all time imo

at least in the bottom 5 as Myworld will always maintain the worst spot but cmon that song is terrible. guitar is riffless and terrible, song has no structure and sounds like one giant rant.

only singles off that album were Better,If The World,TWAT, This I love and Sorry
maybe Prostitute.  First single should've been "Better" followed by TWAT then Sorry then This I love. If those hit ,come with If The World.

Rest just aren't singles material. A RIR3 style Street of Dreams would've been a great single but they fucked up the album version.

Whoever decided on CD being the first single should be fired.  This is your moment, your chance, u got the entire world eager to hear your return, u get one shot at a first impression to show what u have been working on and u release THAT as your first single?

Long ass intro, complete unrelatable song, on top of Axl singing in a lower register pretty much entire song which makes people think he has "lost" it.

people hear that, expecting that to be the best song and shrug their shoulders and go on about their lives thinking how Axl isn't GNR without the old guys.

If that first single is BIG, GNR are huge right now. After first single flopped, no one cared and they didn't get a second chance to prove it.

Board footer