You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Naltav wrote:

Sure it's easy to say that Axl should've gotten off his ass and he would be done with his contract with Universal. And there's no good argument against it. Except, it's my understanding that whenever you hand over an album to the label, it's not a given that they will just praise the heavens and release it. THEY have to agree that it's the "right" album.

Then you have a thing called timing. Like the rumor a little while back that Axl/GNR were recently ready to hand over a follow-up, but the label refused to release it due to no US-dates in sight. Sure, it was a foggy rumor, but the situation is plausible and understandble from the label's point of view.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

We'll surely Axl didn't sign a LIFETIME fucking contract with Universal/Interscope/Geffen (at whatever point he signed the current one).

I could swear I read an interview back in the late 90's/early 2000's, that stated that they owed Geffen (at the time), like three studio albums under that deal. CD was one, and Axl owed them two more.

Ever since then, that's why fans have focused on the '3 albums' thing, plus Axl & Baz have mentioned 'three' albums before. Never a fourth. To my knowledge.

The quicker Axl gets those albums rolled out, the quicker he can get out of there.

Let's go.. come on... time is money man!

johndivney wrote:

& you have to figure into the clusterfuck the impact the GH release had on the contract/re-negotiations

axl doesn't have the work ethic or supporting infastructure to do whatever the fuck he's doing to survive without some kind of major label backing - or at least in the decade past he didn't. today things have changed but he remains too isolated & blackballed to mount any serious revival atm.

going indie would maybe grant him some extra good will & interest but without a hit or promo that too will quickly evaporate.
my point is, until he changes his methods of communication & release schedule it's better to be signed to a label & at least have that layer of security - there's no way he'd be able to finance 6 bandmembers doing nothing GnR-related for months on end were he not with a major label.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah and if he walked into a Reznor type situation, he doesn't know how to promote himself or his music in the 21st century climate. Calling Madison a cunt, having Beta and Fernando monitor forums,  and having Jarmo ban Slash fans wont cut the mustard when trying to get the music to the masses.

The public at large doesn't give the tiniest of shits about forums anymore and don't know or care who Jarmo, Fernando, Beta,etc. are so they need to aim their sights elsewhere and those sights not aim negativity or Slash.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

We'll surely Axl didn't sign a LIFETIME fucking contract with Universal/Interscope/Geffen (at whatever point he signed the current one).

I could swear I read an interview back in the late 90's/early 2000's, that stated that they owed Geffen (at the time), like three studio albums under that deal. CD was one, and Axl owed them two more.

Ever since then, that's why fans have focused on the '3 albums' thing, plus Axl & Baz have mentioned 'three' albums before. Never a fourth. To my knowledge.

The quicker Axl gets those albums rolled out, the quicker he can get out of there.

most Gnr fans are idiots.....and I am quite sure that EVERYTHING between Axl and Uni changed with the Chinese deal. Merck mentioned the "renegotiations"....Axl mentioned it as well. Remember Axl's letter about Merck and Merck's response?...late 2006 I believe. So, as of now, we really have no clue what "is owed".

I wish like hell they were independent but the fact is they aren't. hmm

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah and if he walked into a Reznor type situation, he doesn't know how to promote himself or his music in the 21st century climate.

I'm pretty sure he could manage.

If he went indie, it's just a matter of setting up a simple online store package your album(s) in multiple ways with extra stuff.

Even Baz seems to ship out his merch from his house himself (I think I've seen him tweet about it).

As for promoting that new stuff are available, some quick and easy FB- and twitter-posts would get the word out to millions of people!

Jarmo or DJ A$hba would prolly LOVE to be in charge of stuff like this! smile

johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

most Gnr fans are idiots.....and I am quite sure that EVERYTHING between Axl and Uni changed with the Chinese deal. Merck mentioned the "renegotiations"....Axl mentioned it as well. Remember Axl's letter about Merck and Merck's response?...late 2006 I believe. So, as of now, we really have no clue what "is owed".

I wish like hell they were independent but the fact is they aren't. hmm

i think MSL had/has the most recently re-negotiated contract??
is it norm for artists to be able to re-negotiate their contracts before/upon the release of each new album? i know they pulled a similar stunt with the UYI's way back where they almost held the master tapes ransom til David Geffen re-negotiated..

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^^   "i think MSL had/has the most recently re-negotiated contract??"

NAY he only had a mock up CD2  track list on a single page contract with company names xed out and updated in perm marker, To secure financing. It was dated Pre CD1 release and held some of CD1 tracks.

johndivney wrote:

cheers for clearing that up jamester!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer