You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

James wrote:
ppp wrote:

MYGNR has been poorly moderated for years, sadly. First they had Madison who was allowed to ban everyone that disagreed with any opinion she had (even non-GNR ones). Eric did nothing about this until Axl got fed up with her, despite many posters asking him to do so.

The madison fiasco looks completely different in hindsight now. It was the first nail in the coffin of mygnr and what makes it laughable is all the people pissing and moaning about the site's demise were cheering that on. The lead singer of the band the site was devoted to demanded the removal of the person who ran it for nine years yet no one thought that would have consequences?

mygnr sold out but wasn't allowed to go balls deep in the selling out and get continuous, never ending perks. It was the most active site for YEARS and became even more active when Jarmo went official. I guess the desire for shows, backstage passes, and emails from Beta were so strong they were willing to risk it all.

Now look where they are. Axl never needed the site and I told that to madison when all that shit went down. The GNR camp has an official forum. They don't need 2, 3,etc. They need ONE to filter content through and the strategy to play the two other major sites like a fiddle until tossing them aside like garbage was a checkmate move on the online community.

mygnr is now dead. Now all that remains is cd.com which is a borderline troll factory, newgnr which is a virtual clone of that, gunsnfnroses which is a small yet active community similar to this one, and GNRevo.

HTGTH is king and will be the site where ALL news is filtered through. Every other site that still exists will be littered with links to HTGTH for almost every future topic, which effectively neuters all other sites, regardless of no censorship or how close the communities are.

My long ago prediction that there would eventually only be one forum and it would be affiliated with the band/official website is a large step closer to reality.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Ali wrote:
faldor wrote:
Ali wrote:

Good question.  Axl hated the forum, wanted it shutdown, yet he used it to make a massive post on a variety of topics, sharing his thoughts on many things he never had before.  How do you reconcile those two pieces of information?

Ali

Couldn't it just be the simple fact that it was the most popular GNR fan site?  If Axl posts there, it's immediately reaching the highest amount of people.  Obviously, it trickles down to the other sites in a matter of minutes, but still it was the largest.  And from what I gather, the original BIG time fan site.  It's the first one I remember reading news from and posting.  I haven't been an active member there since the very early days, so this won't really effect me.  An interesting turn of events though.

Sorry, don't buy it, man.  If he hated the site so thoroughly, he could've just posted on HTGH and his post would've filtered through to other sites.  And honestly, why would he bother to thank Eric Romano in the CD liner notes and take the time to meet him during the Canadian tour last year?  I'm sure he knew who Eric was when he met him face to face.  If he thought Eric was the keeper of such an evil forum, would he meet with him?  It's like Eric said Axl was a dick to him in person, did he?

It just doesn't add up.

Ali

It's not like Axl logged onto mygnr on the regular and posted information to the fans.  It was just that one period for a couple of days.  MyGNR was the biggest and most popular forum, and ALL the other sites have their share of "trolls", "haters", whatever you want to call them. 

Also, it's apparent that things have gotten a little more testy over time within the forums as things didn't exactly unfold like we all hoped post album release.  So maybe at the time, Axl (and more so his camp) didn't HATE MyGNR so much.

ppp

ppp wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
ppp wrote:

MYGNR has been poorly moderated for years, sadly. First they had Madison who was allowed to ban everyone that disagreed with any opinion she had (even non-GNR ones). Eric did nothing about this until Axl got fed up with her, despite many posters asking him to do so.

The madison fiasco looks completely different in hindsight now. It was the first nail in the coffin of mygnr and what makes it laughable is all the people pissing and moaning about the site's demise were cheering that on. The lead singer of the band the site was devoted to demanded the removal of the person who ran it for nine years yet no one thought that would have consequences?

mygnr sold out but wasn't allowed to go balls deep in the selling out and get continuous, never ending perks. It was the most active site for YEARS and became even more active when Jarmo went official. I guess the desire for shows, backstage passes, and emails from Beta were so strong they were willing to risk it all.

Now look where they are. Axl never needed the site and I told that to madison when all that shit went down. The GNR camp has an official forum. They don't need 2, 3,etc. They need ONE to filter content through and the strategy to play the two other major sites like a fiddle until tossing them aside like garbage was a checkmate move on the online community.

mygnr is now dead. Now all that remains is cd.com which is a borderline troll factory, newgnr which is a virtual clone of that, gunsnfnroses which is a small yet active community similar to this one, and GNRevo.

HTGTH is king and will be the site where ALL news is filtered through. Every other site that still exists will be littered with links to HTGTH for almost every future topic, which effectively neuters all other sites, regardless of no censorship or how close the communities are.

My long ago prediction that there would eventually only be one forum and it would be affiliated with the band/official website is a large step closer to reality.

I for one was tired of Madison long before Axl called her out, as were many people. She abused her power over and over again and thats why people cheered her being removed. Not because Axl wanted her gone. It was not strange to me at all and it should have happened sooner. She was banning anyone who didn't agree with her on anything.

Her removal wasn't the problem. What that board needed was an unbiased moderator that would put a stop to some of the trolling and the spamming. It never got that though, as Eric showed no interest in it.

I am glad this place is around. This seems to be the only board that encourages smart discussion. Gunsnfnroses is mainly haters, HTGTH is mainly stans and the other two are just spam like MYGNR.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

For the record, I'm not defending Madison. Her censoring of Bucket was deplorable and have told her so many times. Haven't talked to Madison in about a year or so(whenver her removal happened), but we used to talk off and on for years(mainly through PMs) and we had some heated discussions over the Bucket censoring and the banning of his fans.

My point regarding that is her removal easily cleared the path for what is occurring now.

I agree with you that the assembled staff after her removal was a colossal joke. Instead of moderating the site they spent their time bragging about going backstage and all that other crap. The most poorly run big site I have ever seen.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

For the record, I'm not defending Madison. Her censoring of Bucket was deplorable and have told her so many times. Haven't talked to Madison in about a year or so(whenver her removal happened), but we used to talk off and on for years(mainly through PMs) and we had some heated discussions over the Bucket censoring and the banning of his fans.

My point regarding that is her removal easily cleared the path for what is occurring now.

I agree with you that the assembled staff after her removal was a colossal joke. Instead of moderating the site they spent their time bragging about going backstage and all that other crap. The most poorly run big site I have ever seen.

"it's a pile of shit board....good riddance."

my earlier comment James. 16

yourolympichero
 Rep: 0 

I think the band is dumb for not supporting MyGNR. There's not many diehard fans left, and they all meet for the most part on MyGNR.

I honestly think MyGNR closing will give many fans the excuse to get on with their lives and stop waiting for this band to do something notable. HTGTH is Nazi Germany to everyone who follows the band, so they won't see an influx of new members. The smaller sites like this will get some new members, but not as much as you'd think.

Fuck this band, basically.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The end of MyGNR will have little to no effect on the amount of fans the band loses.  If they care enough about the band to post messages and follow the daily updates (which there aren't many), there are plenty of places where they can do so.

If they take a step back and lessen their intensity of fandom, that's fine too.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That board has some cool posters, not all of them were loons... What is really cool is when you see the same people on mygnr, HTGTH, and here...  A giant circle jerk.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
ppp wrote:

Well I don't know if I agreed with you then, and I don't know if I agree with you know, but as sure as hell looks like you're right.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, I can say - shocked, but just wow. Despite what you think about MyGNR, this is truely the end of an era.

I'd go so far to say that the entire CD internet saga and GN'R internet community were built on the back of MyGNR. So many people splintered off into other places, because MyGNR was the crack in the door to all things Guns. Some of the first boots I ever heard of the UYI days were RAM files (that takes me back) from the 1992 shows. And of course MyGNR was the first place I heard the new songs from HOB 2001 & Rio III.

It's really hard to believe it's been nearly a decade. Good times, bad times, and wasted times really say it all.

MyGNR, if anything held close to Chinese Democracy-the album, was THE Clusterfuck of the GN'R internet community. Poorly run from the off-set, with an "in and out" Romano, and a mod staff of stooges that would echo anything that Malibu Mafia had to offer, continued to tie one hand behind the board's back for years, mainly at the hands of Madison.

Sure she helped run the place for nine years, but she also did a shitload of work to keep GOOD posters OUT and BANNED, while keeping trolls alive and well. What Frauline's ego trip did was keep a constant rotation of about every six months, a whole new group of trolls would be reborn, which kept the board down.

Axl hated it, and he should've hated it. It was THE BIGGEST GN'R news, internet, forum source out there (regardless of what Jarmo thinks), and it was a massive garbage can. The negative far out weighed the positive.

But did I think it would ever close? No. But it did, and regardless of all the speculation currently going on as to why, I think it simply boils down to the simplest answer. Eric is older, poorer (because of the board), tired, and not willing to deal with all of the absolutely needless bullshit that seemingly cursed that particular board and the GN'R internet community (behavior which stangely alluded every other music artist on the internet for some reason), and he just wanted it to be over.

Why dedicate that kind of money, time and spirit to a band which Axl Rose himself refuses (it's Universal's fault my ass) to promote, with sproadic touring, non-existent new material (one album in ten years ain't enough), and enough constant turnover in the actual band, to call Axl "The George Steinbrenner of the 80's".

What's the point? Really?

Does this mean the death of the GN'R internet community? I doubt it, but I do think changes are afoot. Us Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers that have dedicated YEARS of our lives to being GN'R fans are getting older and older, life is moving on, and not only is the REAL Guns N' Roses becoming a more distant memory, so is the idea of the 'internet message board'.

Most MyGNR posters, at least the good ones, will probably flee to HTGTH, or splinter off to smaller ones like Evo or GNFNR's. NewGN'R & CD.com will eventually die, because they're basically shelters for the trolls, and not the 'rock stars' to get Charlie Sheen with it.

Eventually, I expect the internet community to move on to newer and less obselete mediums on the internet such as Facebook or Twitter or whatever comes down the pike in the future, but the message board will be left behind.

But eventually it will all become a shadow of what it once was. Because the old Gunners, and even the Gen Y-Gunners will eventually move on with life, have families, jobs, lives, some might die, and Guns will be a thing of the past.

The youngens don't care. GN'R is not gaining a fanbase on the internet, just keeping what they have, and eventually that will break apart, short of a reunion which will be the crash cart on the whole thing.

Do I think it means GN'R won't have fans? Absolutely not. People across the world (not America) still love Axl, still will see him perform solo, and the fans are there. They'll just find other routes such as FB, Twit, YouTube, the new thang to communicate with fans in the future.

My two cents

Board footer