You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: ASHBA Says 'Genius' AXL ROSE Has Three Albums' Worth Of Music Recorded

Mikkamakka wrote:

I've always felt that the bandmembers' 'amazing', 'groundbreaking', 'mind-blowing' etc. praise about CD in the past years were more directed to Axl, to encourage him to release the stuff.  I'm sure they wanted to convince people that it'll 'worth the wait', but they had never wanted to build up monstrous expectations. Had Tommy known in 2003-2004 that there would be no album till 2008, he would have never said those words publicly.

We are talking about a band, where even the players are out of the loop and their best way to pass info and wishes to Axl is the media. I'm sure that DJ is a newbie and doesn't have a clue about how GN'R (Axl) works, but I don't think he uses 'the next GN'R album' tale to promote himself. He's been promoting himself with GN'R quite well, no need to lie about CD II. I'm sure he believes he's telling the truth and that Axl has changed and this time the recording process will be different. Reminds me of Matt Sorum, who was sure that the next GN'R album would come out in 1994, as they had 'concrete plans about the future, for the first time in GN'R's history'. And here comes the MegaLOL emoticon.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also think DJ's dumb enough that he's once again shooting Axl in the foot, before Axl even gets out the gate.

One of the biggest issues with CD, if not THE issue, was it was MASSIVELY overhyped for YEARS.

DJ's just repeating the cycle all over again from 2001. Overhyping songs that probably will never live up to their hype, and once again leaving the next GN'R release a creative disappointment.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The difference is though, nobody cares this time around, outside of the hardcore fans.  DJ can talk it up all he wants.  Nobody is taking notice except for us.  And unless GNR changes the way they do business and handle things, that's not going to change.  So I wouldn't be worried about DJ building up any false hope.  No one is listening.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

james-you base too much off of what axl says:

"i do not have three albums worth of material" coming from axl

means

"he has three albums worth of finished material that he needs to tinker with for ten more years" coming from anyone else.

and/or

He doesn't want people to know he has finished material because he has proven time and time again that he does not like to release music or the pressure to do so. the less people think there is music to be released the less people will pressure him him to release it.

Sky Dog wrote:

He has a shitload of material. Who cares? There is no scheduled release for a Gnr album. If Axl or the record company talks about a release, I'll become interested.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

The difference is though, nobody cares this time around, outside of the hardcore fans.  DJ can talk it up all he wants.  Nobody is taking notice except for us.  And unless GNR changes the way they do business and handle things, that's not going to change.  So I wouldn't be worried about DJ building up any false hope.  No one is listening.

Great point

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Was just thinking about all this in relation to the discussion in the other thread.

If you'll forgive an "arm chair post"

I think the absence of Axl in the media is really one of the bands biggest issues in terms of recapturing the general public (which who knows maybe he doesnt want to).

If you go back historically early enough it was always Axl and Slash prmoting stuff..they both did interviews a lot...it sort of contributed to the perception people have...there's the gifted turbulent lead singer and the iconic amazing guitarist....it's part of the branding almost...although in GNR's case it was also damn true...

But two things changed....firstly post slash the band altered so that it doesn't rely on one guitarist. Maybe this was a concious move to make sure a new guitarist is not given the power to derail axl's plans the way loosing slash did...or maybe it's just because stylisticly he likes multiple players. But for the public that's harder to get into I think. Secondly Axl gave up interviews for the most part.

Sometimes I think if there was 1 lead guitarist, and if Axl still did promo it might be an easier sell. Like bumble is fucking amazing on guitar - you don't always see it demonstrated in GNR cos he's kind of underused with the 2 other guys around....but sit him down and get him shredding and he can do frightening things. I think if GNR went to it's old model - 1 lead guitarist, and constant promo from everyone including Axl and releasing songs in shorter time spans...I could see it working....of course those are like 4 things that I think Axl doesn't want to do. And what do I know really. I'm just curious about it all.

It's interesting with DJ too. I think he has a decent amount of street cred from SixxAm stuff...and he's also a good guitarist for sure...and he brings a certain amount of stage presence back into the equation which is good. But I wonder if his image also upsets people...like the hat...I know he isn't copying slash - it's more of a motley style look if anything...but I do wonder if that will get lost in the noise...I think people need a strong new image to lock onto in the absence of slash. Then again - as we move further away from the old days - it may be that the style is close enough. Once bands like Whitesnake, Motley and Poision wouldn't have toured together - today they are all tarred with the same brush as 80s rock...so who knows...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

He said there's 3 albums worth of material "in the vault", nothing new there.  And for the record, Axl never discounted that fact.  He simply told Baz to stop telling people that there were 3 albums done and ready for release.  That hardly means that there isn't 3 more albums worth of material "in the vault".  So I really don't think DJ is lying.  People are just letting their imaginations run wild with his every comment.

Question: How much material is there?

Axl Rose:

“Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard!

Last year:

Ashba: “It might come out in 2011. We’ve been very busy touring the last years, but we write new songs. As far as I can judge, it’s gonna be an incredible good record”

one month later....

Bumblefoot: “They (Dj and Dizzy) were misquoted in the translation – they would “like” to do a new album, but that’s the extent of it…”

Last year:

Ashba: “We’ve been throwing around a bunch of ideas,” he said, “and it should be good.” “Axl has a lot of good shit up his sleeves, so I’m really excited about it,” Ashba explained, “It won’t take as long – I promise.”

one week later....

Bumblefoot: “We’ve yet to get in a room and write as a band – know Dj mentioned something about a new album, but don’t want y’all expecting anything soon – other than old unreleased Chi Dem songs, songs need to be written, jammed, recorded, tweaked, re-worked, re-recorded, mixed, re-mixed, mastered, re-mastered, art, new art label approval, a game plan from the label that Ax approves….not as simple when it’s such a big scale…”

Last year:

Ashba: “Working on the new Guns record.”

one week later....

Dizzy: “GN’R is taking some time off right now.”

Notice the contrast between the new guy and the others that have been there for years.

james-you base too much off of what axl says:

Yet you're doing the same thing twisting the quotes around to fit in with what you believe.

If you cant base something off what Axl says, who is left? I'm a bit interested in what comes from the horse's mouth.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

It's all in the viewpoint.  I think it's pretty clear Axl has PLENTY of songs left over from the CD sessions.  Will we hear those anytime soon?  I'm certainly not sold on that.  Most of those "negative" quotes you posted were in reference to NEW music, as in from the current lineup.  I fully admit there's absolutely no evidence that this lineup has gotten into the studio and recorded any music together.  But Ron has said he's worked on unreleased songs from the CD sessions, and I can only assume that's what DJ is talking about when he says "they're working on new songs."

And Axl's comment about not having as much material as Baz thinks he heard could've easily been 1) a light hearted comment, or 2) a way to lower expectations (like someone pointed out in the other thread).  I was listening to the Jason Ellis show when Baz said that Axl told him to stop saying that he had 3 or 4 albums ready to release and they were just focusing on Chinese Democracy.  I take that at face value, not as "Baz, you're a liar.  I never had more than one album, quit making this stuff up."

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

So is DJ lying, or is he just misquoted everytime?

Oh wait, I forgot, they're not talking to him about GN'R anyway. Sixx:AM is so much more well-known and popular. THAT's the reason they pull him aside to talk shop and let him plug Ashbaland or whatever the fuck it's called.

I know people bag on Dizzy, but if Dizzy fucking Reed says "we're not there", and he's got over 20 years in with the band, and actual writing credits on new material from the band.

They haven't done ANYTHING since the tour ended and they're NOT EVEN CLOSE to doing anything.

And why to I keep beating this into the ground? Not because i'm an ass who wants to crush everyone's dreams for CD II - i'd love that album myself, more than anything else GN'R could do.

I think DJ is either misleading people, or just incredibly fucking stupid. But considering the fact he runs his own business pretty flawlessly, so much to the point that even i've suggested Axl needs to make him involved in the business aspect of the band - DJ does not strike me as a stupid person.

So that leaves lying for the camera. "Well, it gives us something to hope for". Well if that's the case, keep hoping for that Rapture, because it's the same thing.

The only other possible thing on the table, is that Axl & DJ are secretly recording together without the band, and considering Axl's never worked that way in over a quarter of a century of the existence of Guns N' Roses...

We're back to the lying for self-promotion thingy

Bottom line: I think DJ needs to keep it to Sixx:AM for the future, and when asked about GN'R - tell the truth - "we're taking a break, we get back together in the Fall, and we'll go from there". Boom, done. Leaves the door open, and doesn't mislead anyone with false prophecies.

Board footer