You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: ASHBA Says 'Genius' AXL ROSE Has Three Albums' Worth Of Music Recorded

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

DJ didn't say he was adding stuff.

He said the were WRITING NEW STUFF

Totally different thing

That's the thing, you're taking his words and making your own interpretation that he means they all go into the studio and hammer out songs everyday.  And I agree with you that there's little to no chance that that has happened.  Others are taking what he said to mean that he is sending Axl ideas, re-working some of Robin's parts, tinkering with the leftover songs, etc.  That sounds a lot more likely, and what I choose to believe.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

DJ didn't say he was adding stuff. He said the were WRITING NEW STUFF

I think your drawing too fine a distinction. It's probably both. I mean if he adds kickass new solos to existing tracks - and they become part of the song forever - then he probably thinks of that as writing the solo...even if in terms of an ASCAP type thing it's not.

But he said "We’ve been throwing around a bunch of ideas" - which to me means hes got some early ideas for new tracks that he's suggesting to Axl - probably sending him files or doing stuff when he does the solo additions. and "Axl has a lot of good shit up his sleeves" means that there's existing Axl based songs (both recorded and unrecorded from the other interview) that are in the stock pile of things to choose from for a next album

I dont think he's ever saif the full band is assembled in a garage someplace doing endless new songs together - you are reading way too much into it. If you read about his writing process in Sixx:Am earleir in this thread - you see he has a functional home studio with Eleven. He could easily be recording new song ideas, and laying down solo samples for unreleased tracks and emailing the whole lot to axl without even seeing anyone in the band for weeks.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yep, DJ works a lot it seems.  He tweeted the other day that he was in the studio working on new songs.  SixxAM just released an album, so what's he working on now?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

no, i'm not.

Yes you are.

basing my opinion on what multiple people close to axl have claimed.

So am I.

im also thinking that logic favors there is a ton of finished material.

A ton? No one has ever claimed a ton unless you're referring to those late 90s comments of hundreds of song ideas/fragments.

otherwise, he paid his hired musicians for over a decade to do almost nothing.

When GNR resurfaced in 2006, Dizzy said the band hadn't seen each other since the last show on the 2002 tour.

im not claiming axl is an evil liar but he does have a track record of not releasing music and making excuses while deflecting blame onto others.

In other news.....water is wet. 16

Good to see you again. Haven't noticed you posting in awhile.

Faldor- No one is saying that all Axl had in his vault were the songs that made the album. Obviously there are other songs as we've heard song titles, Ron said in our chat room he contributed to songs not on the album, and Axl said he considered CD a double album but unfortunately did not pull the trigger on that idea.

What's open to debate is how much is really in the vault and obviously the rumors of the 2009-11 lineup working on their own material which doesn't hold up based on comments from Ron and Dizzy.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Well obviously no one knows for sure how much material is left.  You can take comments either way and spin them to make your argument.  I still believe they HAD 3 albums worth or so of material at one point.  Do they still plan on releasing those songs?  Nobody knows.  I honestly don't care all that much, unless they plan on speeding things up with their release strategy in the near future.  I'll be pushing 40, or even 50 by the time that 3rd album could see the light of day.  The follow up to CD was potentially going to come out one year later.  Here we are 3 years later, and we have nothing but some optimistic comments by DJ and the GNR twitter.

Let's just take it one step at a time.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The only other possible thing on the table, is that Axl & DJ are secretly recording together without the band, and considering Axl's never worked that way in over a quarter of a century of the existence of Guns N' Roses...

DJ could be regularly sending Axl guitar riffs, which may or may not be used on something, be it old or new material. This was an Axl method even back in the days of Slash.

I remember one old Slash interview, where he says Axl's raving about the new material, which is basically Slash playing the guitar.

faldor wrote:

Well obviously no one knows for sure how much material is left.

Last number given by Axl (in 2006) was 26-32 songs. Strike out 13, and you get 13-19 unheard songs. At the moment, it might be the best reference to go by.

Sky Dog wrote:

yep, that is the number I am going to go by....

"We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done,' he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album." (Rolling Stone, 01/18/06)

Axl said he looked at it as a double and 13-19 potential tracks for a follow up would make it a double.

Those figures are much more realistic than Baz's and DJ's pie in the sky comments.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's why i think all these different comments are actually entirely logical.

While some albums have more, there's some that have around 10 songs....so if you look at the original batch of around 32 it could be considered close to 3 albums in length. Especially when you remember that GNR songs are often long. So maybe guys like Baz look at 32 songs as basicly around 3 albums worth.

Then axl maybe decides that some of the songs don't group well together, maybe some of them he knows he isn't close to finishing, some of them he might not like anymore or represnt ideas he wants to develop more. so he says that he doesn't have as much stuff ready as Baz thinks he heard. I think they're both telling the truth. It's just a perception issue.

As madagas pointed out - there should clearly be enough left for a follow up album with 13-19 unheard tracks around.

It's also worth considering that those are 2005 numbers. Dj's comment was:

"It’s sickening to sit there and watch this guy play piano in his hotel room and he’s singing shit equally as great as 'November Rain' that has never been recorded."

Now maybe he ment recorded as in released as a GNR track...but it's also possible that Axl has song ideas that have come to him post 2005 (it is 6 years afterall) that have never been comitted to any form of demo yet.

Either way. That's heaps of stuff to long to hear as a fan.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm guessing that Axl's numbers are closer to reality than most, even though Axl's numbers have wavered over they years since the Loder interview in '99.

My feeling on it has been that after CD, they have another full album and one EP's worth of material ready to walk out the door - toDAY. With the 2009-11 band (DJ) throwing around some ideas, and maybe a little short period re-working, they might be able to expand that EP's worth into another full album with some new songs from DJ. That's just a guess. It's obvious Axl has exhausted his interest in recording with Tommy, Dizzy & Chris, and seems to have no interest in Ron. DJ is the first guy i've seen since Robin & Bucket that might peak Axl's interest in getting in the studio and getting serious.

faldor wrote:

Yep, DJ works a lot it seems.  He tweeted the other day that he was in the studio working on new songs.  SixxAM just released an album, so what's he working on now?

Touche. Crue's not working, DJ's not really a solo guy, Sixx:AM just released an album, and the only thing he's been talking about new stuff over and over is - Guns. So maybe he is working up some stuff on his own.

apex-twin wrote:

DJ could be regularly sending Axl guitar riffs, which may or may not be used on something, be it old or new material. This was an Axl method even back in the days of Slash.

I remember one old Slash interview, where he says Axl's raving about the new material, which is basically Slash playing the guitar.

Fair enough, you're right. I remember Slash talking about how much that irritated him for recording/creating, but Axl loved that setup. Slash said that when they did AFD, or what would become AFD, they could all just be in a car ttraveling, or in a back room around a pizza, booze & drugs, and would just hammer out a song by Izzy picking up a guitar and starting a riff, then Slash following, and suddenly Axl's got lyrics written on the back of a pizza box with a crayon.

By UYI, Slash would just send riffs to Axl, and Axl would call them 'songs'. I knew in '99 when Axl told Loder they had like 80 songs they were working, that Axl just had bits and pieces either written by various guys, or little riffs on DAT tapes stacked in his closet that wasn't anything really that substantial.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Last number given by Axl (in 2006) was 26-32 songs. Strike out 13, and you get 13-19 unheard songs. At the moment, it might be the best reference to go by.

madagas wrote:

Axl said he looked at it as a double and 13-19 potential tracks for a follow up would make it a double.

So in other words, he has one more album like I said. tongue

Board footer