You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Amy Winehouse Discussion

James wrote:

[youtube]iVaqQe3V498&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Anna
 Rep: 8 

Anna wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

[youtube]iVaqQe3V498&ob=av2e[/youtube]

I never heard this song before... she looks so healthy in this video, aww!
[favorites video] 22

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

is it blasphemous to say i probably never have even listened 2 one of her songs?

You had to have heard "Rehab" at least in passing.  That song was all over the place when it came out.

I had never heard that "F Me Pumps" song though.  That was good.

Echo everyone else, not surprising, but still sad.  She did have a very unique voice.  Lots of talent and potential there wasted due to drugs.  Happens far too often.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

She never ever had a unique voice.

I've heard her voice thousands of times in jazz clubs. That's part of the problem that I never got why people circled around her as some unique legendary act. Even Elton was comparing her to like Freddie and Aretha and stuff.

And it was like - huh? Where? I haven't heard it, and I tried really hard.

She was never a great talent from what I saw. She basically was jazz singer #8,364 who sang pop-influenced jazz with sleazy lyrics about da club & drugs.

Wow i'm so impressed. On top of that, her personal life was a legendary joke. The woman seemed average artistically + legendary fuck up. Nothing more.

I'm not trying to piss on the woman's grave by any means, 'cause to her family and friends she was loved, but i'm sure the music industry is gonna run out all this tribute stuff, a greatest hits set (from two albums), and talk about how she was poised to be the next legendary talent.... and every ounce of it will be pandering bullshit imho to get viewers/listeners/readers.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Always a tragedy when someones life have disappeared.

When that's said, on Facebook I spoke of respect for a persons choices and the life they want to live. With Winehouse, the respect I have for her and her choices made are vastly lower than the respect I have for many others. Like Cramer here said, if I got it right, he went to rehab at 27 and got out of it. That's respect. The respect I have for all the veterans of WW2 who put their lives on the line for us. That's respect.

For a well-known drug-addict who took the wrong choices, from me there's less respect. Just as I have little respect towards a guy like Dave Lepard from CrashDiet who killed himself after drugs fucking him up. I have immense respect for the mans musical abilities, but very little respect for what he did to himself, his family and his loved ones.

I was surprised I was met with harsh comments from one woman after that, which I simply deleted.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
mickronson wrote:

^ maybe there will be some stuff in a vault or something they can throw together and call it an album, just to release in the event of her death.  I see record label vultures circling overhead already.

Agreed, but that type of thing is not a proper followup album.

And on top of that, I'd heard that everything going into the new record was a hot mess anyways. Like Brian Wilson type hot mess. If memory serves, she demanded to do a reggae album and her and the label were at a stand off.

Also-
Saying Amy Winehouse didn't have a completely unique voice is ludicrous. You can not be a fan and all... I get that. But the woman had an amazing, unique voice.

Exactly, it may not be unique in the way as something you've never heard before.  But when you first heard her, you got a vision of her in your head and it completely did not match up to what she actually looked like.  Skinny, white British chick wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

you can't deny the girl wrote some great songs... My Favorite, "Valarie"

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I can deny it.  She's very meh.  How many copy cats came out right after her hit single?  How many others were similar before or after (Mercy and that Big Black Horse/Cherry Tree song, etc)?  It was all the same recycled garbage and she wasn't even the first to do it.  Just like some of you think ga ga is some amazing talent when she's all hype, winehouse is no different.  Overrated.  She made more news for being a fuck up than anything else.  THAT sums up her talent.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No way. She was extremely talented and if not the first, she was one of the best to intwine 50's doowop, 60's R&B/lounge jazz and hip hop. She opened the door for singers like Adel and Duffy. She was original as an artist. I can't really think of anyone in her generation who comes close to her with what she did. I never heard anyone like Amy Whinehouse before.

The cherry tree song was plastic pop garabge, imo. Nothing similar to Amy Whinehouse at all. She was around before then, anyway.

I've personally never said Ga Ga is an amazing talent, only that its foolish to say she isn't talented, even though she's not my thing.

Board footer