You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

slcpunk wrote:
smoke wrote:

Hate to say it, because it's the obvious gripe, but the Van Halen sound is incomplete without Anthony singing. I like the song though- it makes for the prospect of a promising album. It sounds like modern VH in a good way.

I tend to think it sounds more like Roth solo than VH, especially the style of song. It is catchy though and I have been listening all day.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Really? I thought I heard some Eddie guitar tone, that sounded not only Van Halen, but Van Hagar-ish.

Then again they had to basically drag Eddie out of his house to even work. So maybe this album is more driven by Dave.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I tend to think it sounds more like Roth solo than VH, especially the style of song. It is catchy though and I have been listening all day.

DAMN, I wish I had actually typed that. I deleted the exact same sentiment. Sounds a LOT like later Roth stuff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

hate it

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

ain't right without mike....

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Never been a VH fan... watching vid for first time... Not gonna make me all of a sudden be a VH fan.

I could see it being a grower.

Cool seeing Roth and EVH showing some genuine chemistry.

Wolfie looks completely out of place.........

If i were a VH fan, I'd def be a DLR fan over Van Hagar though

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

VH has always been an odd band for me.

I SHOULD like them - cos like EVH is a bad ass guitarist.. but something about it just never jells for me.

It's really wierd...as I like maybe 2 or 3 of the DLR songs, and probably about the same from the SH era - even though I really like SH in chickenfoot...

Doesn't make any sense and I respect why others love them as an all time great but I just can't seem to make myself feel it. This song is typical of my reaction - respect the guitar solo - there's nothing wrong with the song - but it's also not something that will stick in my mind I think.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Never been a VH fan... watching vid for first time... Not gonna make me all of a sudden be a VH fan.

I could see it being a grower.

Cool seeing Roth and EVH showing some genuine chemistry.

Wolfie looks completely out of place.........

If i were a VH fan, I'd def be a DLR fan over Van Hagar though

Wolfie has been like that from day one. I really don't get it. He seems like a nice enough kid, but he has NO chemistry with the band, and seems stiff with even his father.

That's one of those "Eddie is forcing this on the audience" moments, just like the keyboards. YOU'RE GONNA LIKE THIS, OR ELSE! He's very egotistical, and Wolfie on bass is a perfect example of that.

As for Van Hagar, both versions of VH have their place.

David is a better frontman

Sammy is a better vocalist

David has better rockers

Sammy has better ballads

In a perfect world, a VH album would feature Dave rockers and Sammy ballads.

jmho

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, the song isn't quite what I expected, but I'm still digging it a bit. Certainly am interested to hear more from the album, and I still plan on picking it up when it comes out.

Board footer