You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

Bono wrote:

DJ Ashba by a  million miles. His playing sounds better and he's a better fit for Guns N' Roses. His image is a better fit for Guns N' Roses and his stage presence is  ten times better than Robin's. I honestly could not stand watching Robin stumble around on stage like a  drunken homless man in 2006.  In my opinion Robin was a terrible fit for Guns N' Roses. DJ has fit in nicely I think.  Also I have way more confidence in DJ being able  to contribute to writting new material that I would enjoy than I would have Robin.  What it boils down to for me is I lost respect for Robin as a perfomer the three times I saw Guns N' Roses while he was in the band whereas after seeing DJ perform once he won me over big time.

Also I know how everyone loves when I share what my freinds thought but no word of a lie everyone(8 people) who saw Gn'R with me in 2006 thought Robin was a joke where as the two who saw them with me in 2010 actually really liked DJ so... a microcosm of the genral publics opinion perhaps.

Having said all that Robin is a  great fit for Nine Inch Nails. I just felt Robin was mocking the position he had in Guns N' Roses or somthing. It came off so fake watching him on stage.

And as for the current lineup I enjoy this lineup better than any lineup since the Illusion era so....  Nothing on CD convinces me Buckethead was ever right for Guns N' Roses and Brain and Frank are interchangebale as far as I'm concerned so based on how the band sounds live and how they seem to be gelling and how their image is(yes I mentioend their image get over it) and hwo guys liek DJ and Ron interact witht eh fan and seem to enjoy that side of it(completely opposite form Robin and BH) this new lineup is by far the best we've had since the Illusion era in my opinion.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Loved Robin-  huge fan, voted for him because the potential new direction in 2002 was exciting to me, but DJ won me over last week. He's the perfect person to round out this lineup, and get some more shit released.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

this new lineup is by far the best we've had since the Illusion era in my opinion.

I agree.

I also think if DJ and Ron had been in the band from 1997 or whatever the whole transition would have been a lot smoother.

Ron has the chops to play anything, and DJ plays in the blues rock style the band used to sound like.

As a guitarist I appriciate the unique textures that robin and bucket have in their styles - but in terms of the fit for GNR as it was - and what the public wants - I think both of them just pissed off the majority of the audience.

I get Axl was making something new, and I like the album that resulted, a shit load actually, but because of the lengths of time involved..most GNR activites over the past decade have been covers of the AFD/UYI era - and that's not something Robin and Bucket were well suited for.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I saw Robin play the most terrible/embarrassing God awful shit fest Solos before SCOM. He is my least fave guitar player of all time. CC Deville level suck here.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Both are decent guitar players.

DJ is a better fit to play the old stuff, but I don't like his stage presence.
He acts lame like CC Deville, aping Slash.  As far as his song writing ability with Axl, we'll cross that bridge when Axl burns it.

Robin could have taken the band in a different direction, but his playing was too sloppy (even by a band that had Slash in it) and he looked silly and acted silly.  Technically, I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish as a guitarist.  Now, that being said, I liked 2006 Robin much more than I liked 2002 Robin.

They both kinda suck and are both kinda good.

I will say this...and get ready to throw tomatoes...when following classic bands that are trying to reunite with original members...they usually start by first getting folks who ape the original members.  Here's to hoping that we're about the end that phase.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I would like to find out the reason why Robin left the band for a second time and is he in Axl's I hate Slash book styles?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think Axl spoke favorably of Robin in some of those online chats, so no, I don't think there is any Slash level hatred.
I don't really understand that either, Robin bailed on the band twice, the second time was before the long awaited album was finally released, yet Axl is ok with Robin, and NOT with Slash...?

And on topic, I picked DJ too. Robin was good for the time he was in there, in that he was almost an anti-Slash, which given Axl's hate for Slash, was probably what Axl was going for.
But with DJ, I'm excited about the prospect of future new GN'R material, just going by what I've heard from SixxAM, and seen from DJ live.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I remember some of the arguments for Robin and his weird 'look' were claiming that GN'R were never about image, or that GN'R were an alternative band, or something like that...?

Are you kidding me? Guns N' Roses were the biggest HARD ROCK band on the planet, and every member looked like a rock star. They never looked like a freak show, aside from maybe Axl and those short shorts...:haha:

Guns N' Roses may not have been about image primarily, but they were the coolest looking bunch of badass rock n rollers, not some freakshow.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Axl basically stated in a Rolling Stone interview Robin sucked.

Im sure he was prob happy when he left cause he was able to replace him with a true talent.       He isn't mad at Robin cause nobody knows who the fuck he is.

He hates Slash cause Slash is just as famous if not more these days.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

DJ jumps in the crown everynight during Nightrain

what seriousness did RObin bring? the stupid mongoloid dance schtick? The Garbage Bag/Longjohns getup? the half shaved head/elvis jumpsuit getup? some serious stuff there

this is rock n roll not congress, seriousness doesnt play a factor, its not like they act like gwar or something

there were a few finck fans out there back when he was in the band but since he has left it seems like people like him more yeah he has alot of song writing credits for the new album but he has as many dogs as he does highlights...just dont dig his playing style...talk about contrived i think robin did his best just to be different, to re-transpose music from one tuning to another says it all really, it also helped make teh old stuff sound wrong in a live setting

The bashing came from the original line up fans who hated he carried on with the GN'R name and couldn't get over the "freak show." The people who bashed Robin and Bucket were the guys who grew up on 80's metal, hair metal, cock rock, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Van Halen stuff.

yet here we are 7-8 years after Bucket has left and the same ones that bitched about the original lineup fans bitching are now bitching that the lineup used to be better....oh the irony

MrID you talk like Crue, Jovi and VH are bad....they come from the same vein as GnR my freind 19 or maybe i'm just an old fart, i never bashed bucket, but i think Robin's "talent" is just over my head or soemthing, i dont want the band to sound like soemthign different i want it to sound like GnR...i think thats my biggest problem with robin...everything sounded off to me when he played the old material

I never said that BH and Finck left for no reason....but they did leave and if not for DJ and Bumble there wouldnt be a band on tour right now....Finck and Bucket werent fired they left...

bitch as much as you want, the lineup is what we got (i think its awesome) all complining does is increase the possiblility that the guys (who bust their asses day in and day out and put their health and well being on the line) feel unappreciated

I agree on the image thing. I don't really ultimate think it's the reason Robin was the wrong choice, but it was alot of the reason. The image was too funky, and although I think it worked in the 2001-02 band, it had wore out it's welcome and was totally out of place in the 2006-07 band.

Robin's playing style was also eccentric. I think he shined on his material (nobody plays Better, better than Finck), but he was downright weird on the old material. I never ever got the whole deal "man his SCOM solo", "man he owned November Rain"... huh?

Man his guitar tone just doesn't register with my ears apparently.

Neemo wrote:

whatever....my post was partially directed to sundancekid who said

Also you don't see DJ jumping into the crowd like Robin did in 2006.

i dont care if DJ does it or think that its uber cool that he does...but it was a response to an obviously uninformed comment

and i addressed other comments from his post like that Robin brought seriousness to the band i just didnt quote him, and nothing about robin ever lead me to take him seriously

as to the rest...i grew up listening to gnr crue et al i htink i know who was in the "hard rock/heavy metal" genre at that time. there are more ties between gnr and crue than you may want to beleive so you just go on doin what you're doin and i'll be quiet with any further peice of shit posts

and you are the one who makes it abundantly clear time after time who is your preferred guitar combo in GnR...i jsut thought it was time to step up and actually defend the guys who are currently carrying the torch is all, sorry to offend you, you bitch about old fans talking about their fav incarnation yet youare doin the same thing

and DJ is always bashed around here ... fake, contrived, wannabe, Slashba etc etc

i think it fuckign sucks that we cant juts appreicate what we got,

must be something about my posts cuz everyone seems to fly off the handle when i type out stuff roll

No I know what you mean.

And Mister ID is wrong on his Crue assessment. He might not see it that way, but Guns N' Roses is a hard rock/cock rock act, that will always be seen as apart of the Crue, Bon Jovi, Poison, Van Halen, etc. Not Metallica, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc.

Just the way history has been written.

monkeychow wrote:
MisterID wrote:

Axlin08] The only person who mattered anything to anyone outside of Axl in the scheme of things was Slash. Buckethead was the only who could have possibly filled another spotlight.

I think it's hard to know.

I mean old GNR does have that Lead Singer/Lead Guitarist package where each one is impressive. Works for that Rock God kind of thing...you can be watching wishing you could play/sing half as well or were half as cool.

Now bucket has the chops for that, he's def the kind of guitarist that makes people quit guitar from jealousy. He doesn't have slash's "born to be cool" chrisma in terms of his look - but then I guess his unusual aperance and so on could have turned him into an enigma and created it's own bad ass vibe.

I think one of the reasons it didn't happen with bucket, and for that matter hasn't mostly with any of the others - is that the model of the band swapped to 3 people sharing a role that was once held by one.

A huge part of the early success is that slash is a bad ass motherfucker of a player and a cool dude so to speak - so i'm not taking away from that - but then I also think the new guys don't have the same chance to shine because the nature of the role and the band is different.

For example, if GNR was something like Axl, Tommy, Chris, Frank, Dizzy, Gilby Clarke and Ron...and Ron played every single solo and every single lead line - I think naturally after a while you'd get more people analysing his technique and more people realising he's a freak of a guitarist.

Both Buckethead and Ron are sort of wasted the way GNR works in the sense that when someone has such proficiency on an instrument, there's limited reason to have anyone else play a solo.

I agree with what you're saying. As talented as Bucket is, although he does have some soft, structured stuff that created songs like Sorry... for the most part he and Ron are there to do nothing but show off on the solo.

I think it would've made alot more sense to get a guy like Doug Aldrich who basically would eliminate the need for two lead's.

Doug can do it both. Smooth, slow lead, then bluesy solos, then technical stuff.

Bucket could do that too, but I don't think the path of destiny ever intended or him to be right up front next to Axl. Having your ONE lead player, standing in the back doing the robot while being amazing is 50% of what he needs to be. Just the way it goes.

Board footer