You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: PJ20: The Official PEARL JAM Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Here's some more GREAT stuff imo, deep cuts too.

The groove on this is SICK. A cut track from "Ten", a total foot-stomper, then again i'm a sucker for blues.

From Vs., Once you get this stuck in your head, forget it. 9

Also from Vs., I was STUNNED to find out this was never released as a single. They were playing it non-stop back in the day, right beside the singles off of Vs.

I'm loving this. Been YEARS since i've heard some of these songs. Tons of memories flooding "black". wink

SO glad I checked out that PJ20 doc. Like meeting an old friend again.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Pretty sure Rearviewmirror was released as a single, I remember a live version of SNL being played on video chart shows back around 1993

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I checked. It wasn't from the info i'm reading.

I think it was just something DJ's the old fashioned way picked a deep cut, and played it to death.

Was Estranged ever released as an actual single?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think it was just something DJ's the old fashioned way picked a deep cut, and played it to death.

Back in the day a music video = a single in my books regardless of whether they actually released it as a single to purchase or not.

I've heard estranged quite a bit on the radio as well during that time and still once in a  while today as well.

Rearviewmirror  is pretty mucha  live staple for them. Well as much as a staple can be for Pearl Jam. They switch it up a LOT so...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, Estranged was released as a CD single, and video.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Back in the day a music video = a single in my books regardless of whether they actually released it as a single to purchase or not.

I've heard estranged quite a bit on the radio as well during that time and still once in a  while today as well.

Rearviewmirror  is pretty mucha  live staple for them. Well as much as a staple can be for Pearl Jam. They switch it up a LOT so...

That's how I always felt about singles. Seemed like if there was a video, it was considered "A Single". Side note about hearing Estranged on the radio. I remembered hearing it once on WRIF in Detroit and when the piano hit at the end, the DJ was like "Well, it's over..." then Sorum's drums hit and the DJ goes "That and a big chunk of you life.....Guns N' Roses with Estranged on 101 WRIF" 16

But back to Rearviewmirror, I can't believe it wasn't a single either. Even casual PJ fans know it well.

Alice In Chains fans felt that way about Jar of Flies' "Don't Follow".

Very well known and beloved by fans, but virtually unknown outside the fanbase.

Totally fantastic song.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

My complaint about the PJ20 film was the complete lack of anything on Layne.  They of course had Cobain in there, but Layne wasn't even mentioned.

I mean Eddie wrote a song for Layne the day he found out about it.  And Layne's death was a huge loss to that entire era, and in my opinion a much more profound loss than Cobain.

I'd disagree that Layne's death was much more profound to that era. his death came well after that era had ended.  Cobain's came at the height of it and all things considerd he was the poster child of the genre and era.  the innocense was lost when Coabin died and the genre itself kind faded out. When Layne died it was sad but really had no impact on the musical landscape.

But you're right it was odd to have no mention of Layne in there at all.

Disagree again.  Like Cornell said in the documentary, Andy Wood's death was the death of the innocence of that era.  From that point on, everything changed from the inside out.  Cobain was overrated so of course more focus was put on his death than anyone else. 

For me, I've always seen Soundgarden and Pearl Jam on a different level than the rest of the grunge bands.  I hate to say that because I'm also a big AIC fan.  In terms of musicality and not repeating themselves, those two can't be touched by AIC or Nirvana. 

On the subject of Pearl Jam songs, Nothingman is phenomenal.  The way Eddie can tell a story in song to me in brilliant.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow Saikin, I've made it to dusting off Vitalogy, and was about to say/post juat that, lol.

I originally checked out around Vitalogy, because it wasn't Ten. I just couldn't connect with the music at the time (neither could alot of the band, so I don't feel so bad).

But these songs... omg

Possibly the greatest song ever made.

I'm totally serious.

9 11

All that shit Cobain brought on Vedder... this is the moment even Cobain hits his knees and bows.

Pearl Jam's "Nutshell"

[youtube]_4BObpNQqNo&ob=av2n[/youtube]

A moment every artist ever dreams of.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I always enjoyed "Satan's Bed" off of Vitalogy, though it's certainly not a serious song by any means.  At least not that I'm aware of.

Last Exit is a great one too.  Vitalogy kicked tons of ass.

Board footer