You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Duff: Quit Whining About SOPA and PIPA

TheMole wrote:
Bono wrote:

To suggest that illegal downloading doesn't diminish actual sales is laughable. It borders on an opinion used to justify illegal downloading. You dont' need figures and "facts" to know this. It's a common sense assessment. When something is available for free far less people will choose to pay for it.

It probably has AN impact, but far from the impact most claim it to have. And I dare say that, looking at the industry-wide figures, the impact is probably very minimal compared to other contributing factors. Even if what you state is common sense (especially if it is common sense), you should be able to back up your claims with figures. Why is it that somehow an anti-piracy stance gets the automatic moral high ground without the need to back it up with facts? It's almost like a religion, where you just have to accept certain things or you're a heretic. It might have seemed common sense to think the world is flat, but alas... the research doesn't back it up, time to get with the program, you know? Why do people accept turning a blind eye to independent studies that show piracy has little to no impact on music sales?

Just for the record, I almost never download music and if I do and I like it I will buy the album (but I realize that this is a personal position that doesn't apply to the majority). Just wanted to put that out their to emphasize the fact that I'm not in this discussion to justify my own behavior; I really, truly believe that people should be allowed to download music and other digital content for free. I really do think that artists will need to find another way to make a living from their art (such as performing, merchandise, pay-what-you-like systems, endorsements, licensing songs for commercials/movies/...).

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Once again the music industry forces people to download for free. The new and HIGHLY anticipated VH album was released in Australia on Itunes but the rest of the planet has to wait a WEEK to buy it.

Smart move....

James

James wrote:

They figured out the perfect strategy to combat piracy:

release album in 1 country

fans in all other countries have no option to buy it now so they have to use a 5 finger discount but will have the option to buy it next week

Recipe for success.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah you've got a good point about that. That exclusive region-release stuff is one of the biggest parts of their broken business model.

Apparently they still haven't found the memo sitting on their desk from 1998 that 'as soon as the album is released in one country, it's released in the rest of the world - dumbass'.

You just kinda shake your head at how stupid they are with that shit. As soon as that album drops in one country it's gonna be on the internet within 15 minutes.

Might as well just drop it all at once for EVERYONE. roll

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yer that is pretty stupid

James

James wrote:

For the record, it took 8 MINUTES from the moment of Australian Itunes release to free global download.

Pure lunacy. Madagas is right. The industry needs a total collapse for a 21st century model to take its place.

James

James wrote:

why are artists/ labels flip floppers on the free music/evil downloaders issue?

2006- You people are evil!

2007- streaming entire discographies on myspace free=greatest thing since sliced bread

2008- You people are evil!

Bizarre strategy...

James

James wrote:

Embracing the myspace music juggernaut showed the labels were advocating offering their product free.

Leak it free+stream it free+artist/label endorsement of free music=genie permanently out of bottle

....but blame music fans!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer