You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: The Newsroom (Now on HBO)

smoke wrote:

Gonna check the first two out tonight. I'll get back to the thread once I'm done. I'm looking forward to it though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Saw the first episode. Shows promise. Love the "intensity" of the episode. I think there's alot of hidden subtext in it about human personality and 'that world'.

Cast is fantastic.

But like with "Luck", it's one of those shows it could be great, or it could get cancelled in 6 episodes.

Definitely good enough for me to watch it each week to see how it plays out. Daniels is FANTASTIC in it.

HBO renewed it for Season 2 earlier today which is awesome news for me.

Check out the second episode when you can and let me know what you think.

Well HBO renewed "Luck" right after it's pilot episode also.

Never get your hopes up. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Saw the first episode. Shows promise. Love the "intensity" of the episode. I think there's alot of hidden subtext in it about human personality and 'that world'.

Cast is fantastic.

But like with "Luck", it's one of those shows it could be great, or it could get cancelled in 6 episodes.

Definitely good enough for me to watch it each week to see how it plays out. Daniels is FANTASTIC in it.

HBO renewed it for Season 2 earlier today which is awesome news for me.

Check out the second episode when you can and let me know what you think.

Watched Episode 2 on Thursday... Sorkinisms. You've gotta LOVE Sorkin imo to really get into this show every week. One of the massive issues I had with "Sports Night" was because it was too talky, as if someone with ADHD had wrote it. Now that's cool, and Sorkin's stuff always requires an audience to bring 100% to it to fully absorb it, but the problem is is that Sorkin himself sometimes is so talky that shows can lose focus as to what the actual driving point of it is.

The talkiness and character development of all the people in the newsroom, frankly bores me.

But on the other hand, Daniels, Mortimer, and Sam Waterston are absolutely FANTASTIC in it. Emmy/Golden Globe-fantastic in it, and their characters are awesome. The character of Will McAvoy is still so good, and so well done by Daniels, that I will be back next week to see what he's up to next. Daniels in alot of ways has found a "role of a lifetime". Something so iconic, that he just feels 'himself' while playing it, and it shows on screen. No different than Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing or James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano or Ian McShane as Al Swearengen.

My only complaint, is I wish the show would be itself, rather than copycatting Sports Night so much. It basically is Sports Night, except a bit more dramatic and based on a major newsroom. One of the problems with David E. Kelley's now cancelled "Harry's Law" was it basically "Boston Legal" with Kathy Bates as star. But all of the adoration and Emmy's were won with the previous show and the previous cast.

I don't think Sorkin will run into that problem here, but I do wish the talky-nature of the second act of each episode would get a bit toned down, because the third act of each episode is LEGENDARY MAGIC.

Aspects of the show are THAT GOOD.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

My favorite bit was when Will said, "you brought on a guy with a Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management to talk about illegal immigration politics, what could possibly go wrong?"

Or something like that. I completely lost it. McAvoy's attitude is honestly like an extension of my own personality and what I think of most people. I feel weird admitting it, but me and him have ALOT in common. I just do it in a cowboy hat, that's about all that's different, lol.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Watched Episode 2 on Thursday... Sorkinisms. You've gotta LOVE Sorkin imo to really get into this show every week. One of the massive issues I had with "Sports Night" was because it was too talky, as if someone with ADHD had wrote it. Now that's cool, and Sorkin's stuff always requires an audience to bring 100% to it to fully absorb it, but the problem is is that Sorkin himself sometimes is so talky that shows can lose focus as to what the actual driving point of it is.

The talkiness and character development of all the people in the newsroom, frankly bores me.

I had a really difficult time getting through this episode because.  Was there any actual reason for all that talkiness?  I mean I got one of those "we're saying this because it sounds smart and cool" vibes but it doesn't really help the plot or characters.

They made Mackenzie look like a total fucking moron in this episode with the email thing and that staff meeting in the first part of the episode.

To be honest, the only guy that I kinda like outside of the big 3 is Dev Patel.  He doesn't seem to have as much baggage (if any) as the rest of the other supporting characters and comes off as normal as a result of that.

There was an interesting debate on illegal immigration in this episode.  Unfortnately, it was buried with all the other stuff going around in the episode.

Axlin12 wrote:

My favorite bit was when Will said, "you brought on a guy with a Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management to talk about illegal immigration politics, what could possibly go wrong?"

That entire clusterfuck was pretty hilarious, with the airhead blonde, the pseudo-intellectual and the zealot.  The third parts (ie the newscast) are the best parts of the episodes so far.  I just wish they found an easier or smoother way to get there instead of creating all these other conflicts.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

episode 3 was epic.
that is all...

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Furbush wrote:

episode 3 was epic.
that is all...

Hell. Yes.

The whole thing was awesome, but my favorite smart ass moment was when Jim went up to Don and said "Good show. Yeah, I had no idea what was going on with the McRib sandw..." and Don cut him off with "Yeah. Why don't you go fuck yourself"

Love this show, man...

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer