You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Making a Buckethead mixtape

So, I want to train my mate in the ways of Buckethead by making him a CD sampler. He's a big fan of Pink Floyd and John Frusciante's solo albums, so I'm trying to cleave to his tastes; not too much of the metal stuff, some mellow, some kooky Buckethead tracks but nothing too weird (no Day of the Robot/Funnel Weaver stuff, for example). I want to get a few tracks with vocals on there, too, so it's not an hour of instrumental noodling. 80 minutes is the limit 'cause it's going on CD. And I want to give it something of the flow of a proper album.

Here's what I've come up with so far - any suggestions for substitutions?

King James - it's a killer album opener
The Ballad of Buckethead - well, you've got to have that in there
Big Sur Moon
Sorry - Bucket's Floyd-iest solo on Chinese Democracy
Hog Bitch Stomp - just to break things up a bit
I Love My Parents - the version from Giant Robot with the lovely strings
Waiting Hare
Padmasana
Nottingham Lace
Star Chasing
I Like It Raw
Too Many Humans - Bucket's Floyd-iest thing EVER.
There Was A Time
The Homing Beacon

Clocks in at 74 minutes. Thoughts, people?

bucket

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Bucket's cover of Star Wars is a great way to start getting him into his music. Jump Man from M&R, Welcome to Bucketheadland, and Jordan. Those are great choices you picked man.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Scraps man, gotta have Scraps.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What Bri said.

Not solo, but you gotta have Crash Victim on there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm miles from an expert on bucket...but you need soothsayer....i'd also consider the following as they're kinda fun:

Jowls
Chicken Boy
Scapula
Soothsayer

evader
 Rep: 27 

evader wrote:

As much as I enjoy Padmasana, do you really want to include an 11 minute softie in an attempt to woo a non-believer?  Just not sure that's how I'd go.  There are some really good slow Bucket tracks that are much shorter and very impressive... Mrs. Beasley may be a good alternative, or Whitewash. Some other suggestions not yet mentioned:

Sail on Soothsayer
Nun Chuka Kata
Crack the Sky
Baseball Furies
Brewer in the Air
Machete
Sea of Expanding Shapes
My Sheetz
Stick Pit
Lebron
Jump Man

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Imho if your friend needs a mixtape to get into Buckethead he's doing it wrong. Just burn him your favorite Buckethead CD and if he doesn't want to take it from there and explore then his musical taste is beyond repair.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Nun Chuka Kata is a great choice. I personally would pick Acoustic Shards, Monsters and Robots, Giant Robot, and a few online downloadable songs that are guitar driven and instrumental on his website if you want to seriously get him into Bucket's music. If you find copies of other younger Buckethead recordings or soundtrack material that could work too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Throw "Park Theme" on there. It's basically Bucket's introduction to the world, and almost his trademark even today. All the fans at the show instantly recognize it as soon as he closes the show with it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
evads wrote:

As much as I enjoy Padmasana, do you really want to include an 11 minute softie in an attempt to woo a non-believer?

In most circumstances I would agree with not introducing a potential fan to such epic tracks. That song is the exception. It's that good and pulls you in immediately.

Board footer