You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: Soundgarden "Been Away Too Long" Premiere

Furbush wrote:

I'm with metallex.... This song is bad as fuck. No steps have been lost. This record is going to rule.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Oh please dude, Live To Rise fucking crushes this B-side.

Different ears hear different things. To my ears Live To Rise sounds like mid-paced Audioslave style radio rock.

Been Away Too Long rocks harder, kinda reminds me of My Wave or something like that.

Heard it on the radio in my car the other night, cranked it up loud and it was awesome! 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pretty damn good song but I agree with Axlin. Live to Rise shits all over this track.

Shocked to see Superunknown comparisons. Do you guys have a version of that album I've never heard? 16 That's an incredibly dark album and the vibe of this track comes nowhere near that. MAYBE Spoonman as that song doesn't even fit with the rest of the album. Kyle Petty(son of Richard) should have been on the album instead of Spoonman.

Not worried about this track not blowing my mind as SG are known for not releasing their best songs as first singles, and every album has deep cuts that stomp the singles.

I hope they release another single before the album's release.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Ben Matlock wrote:

Pretty damn good song but I agree with Axlin. Live to Rise shits all over this track.

Shocked to see Superunknown comparisons. Do you guys have a version of that album I've never heard? 16 That's an incredibly dark album and the vibe of this track comes nowhere near that. MAYBE Spoonman as that song doesn't even fit with the rest of the album. Kyle Petty(son of Richard) should have been on the album instead of Spoonman.

The title track on Superunknown is an upbeat rock song, as is My Wave, and those are the songs I'd compare Been Away Too Long to.

I happen to think Been Away Too Long shits all over Live To Rise, but like I said, different ears hear different things.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Live To Rise was nothing special, imo. This is pretty good, but, and I'm shocked I'm saying this, it pales in comparison to Audioslave, so far.

Sky Dog wrote:

not bad....funny, it kinda reminds me of Gnr releasing Chinese Democracy as the first single...not bad, but you know there are some better tracks on the album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

The title track on Superunknown is an upbeat rock song, as is My Wave, and those are the songs I'd compare Been Away Too Long to.

Superunknown

If this isn't what you see
It doesn't make you blind
If this doesn't make you feel
It doesn't mean you've died
Where the river's high
Where the river's high

If you don't want to be seen
You don't have to hide
If you don't want to believe
You don't have to try
To feel alive

Alive in the superunknown
First it steals your mind
And then it steals your soul

If this doesn't make you free
It doesn't mean you're tied
If this doesn't take you down
It doesn't mean you're high
If this doesn't make you smile
You don't have to cry
If this isn't making sense
It doesn't make it lies

And then it steals your soul

Get yourself afraid
Get yourself alone
Get yourself contained
Get yourself control

And then it steals your... soul

My Wave

Take, if you want a slice
If you want a piece
If it feels alright

Break, if you like the sound
If it gets you up
If it brings you down

Share, if it makes you sleep
If it sets you free
If it helps you breathe

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Cry, if you want to cry
If it helps you see
If it clears your eyes

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

Pray, if you want to pray
If you like to kneel
If you like to lay

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave

My wave

Cry, if you want to cry
If it helps you see
If it clears your eyes

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

Take, if you want a slice
If you want a piece
If it feels alright

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave

My wave

Upbeat? 16

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I'm not talking about lyrics specifically (although I don't think the lyrics in those two tracks are as dark as the rest of the album), but musically they're both upbeat rock songs, as is Been Away Too Long. You can't deny that.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

The more I listen to it the more I realize this is nothing compared to Cochise.  In comparison, it's actually a disappointing lead single.  LTR was not actually a single from the album so I won't include that. 

The more I listen the harder time I have of picking between this and LTR.  At first I thought it was better, but it's not holding my attention that well.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm not talking about lyrics specifically (although I don't think the lyrics in those two tracks are as dark as the rest of the album), but musically they're both upbeat rock songs, as is Been Away Too Long. You can't deny that.

Vocals aren't part of the music? 16

I can see where you are coming from, but I think that's an incomplete approach.  You can't quite separate the lyrics and the music in such a way. 

My Wave and Superunknown are much darker songs. 

I think Been Away Too Long is a cool thought and yes, they have been away too long, but it comes off flat based on expectations.  It's more standard rock radio fare than I would have hoped from Soundgarden.

But that's not to say the album won't be good, as singles aren't exactly representative of their albums as a whole.  It is nice to have them back though, they certainly have been away too long.

Board footer