You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Evil Dead Remake (NEW, Full Red Band Trailer)

Olorin wrote:

Fuck these cash in remakes. The corniness and Bruce are what made Evil Dead, not that it was a good story, how they gonnie replicate that and why bother?

$$$

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What I don't understand is they keep trying push these remake franchises, but think about it...

Which one has really been successful?

Psycho '98
-- Done and over within one film. Total bomb. TV series is ANOTHER remake attempt of a failed TV 1987 pilot, set for next year on A&E.

Night of the Living Dead 1990/Dawn of the Dead 2004
-- A one-off 1990 theatrical film (the best of its kind), and another more successful 2004 take on Dawn of the Dead. Turned in another shittastic remake of Day, nothing more. No continuity. The popularity of Dawn 2004 could be contributed to George Romero reviving the Dead franchise, with alot of VERY mediocre entries that unfortunately have watered down the original highly respected Dead trilogy, and Romero as a filmmaker in general.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003
-- Done and gone with two films. despite modest success. Next up, a reboot of the old franchise with direct ties to the 1974 original including Grandpa playing Grandpa again, Bill Moseley as The Cook, and the original cast making some cameos. That actually sounds interesting if it wasn't for a desperate 3D gimmick that just aches that it's gonna suck more than it's 'pitch' sounds like and the fact they've already did it sort of -- The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 'Member how good that one was? When you're ripping off Chainsaw 4, Jesus H Christ you need to fucking quit in filmmaking man.

Halloween 2007
-- Two films later, and the franchise is actually in worse shape now than post-Halloween 8: Resurrection. 'nuff said, thx Rob, stick to rock man.

Phantasm
-- The ONE LONE FRANCHISE that has been in DESPERATE NEED for a reboot treatment. The only one. I actually would love to see a bank-rolled, CGI-fueled, horror/sci-fi epic Phantasm Trilogy. Someone call Chris Nolan.

Friday The 13th 2009
-- All it took was one film to bury the franchise. And it was actually successful and sorta liked by the fans. I didn't get the fascination around it other than hot women, but when you do good and make money and bury yourself. Take a hint.

The Howling: Reborn
-- A DTV "sequel" years later after the franchise was prayed dead, for a franchise that became cult legend for HORRIBLE sequels akin to Mystery Science Theater 3000, and somehow we needed one more that actually surpassed "New Moon Rising" for worst film ever made outside of a high school film class.

Terminator: Salvation
-- The filmmakers think they'll have a better chance with 'heel-turn' 80-year old Arnold in T5 than they did with Christian Bale in T4. Any questions?

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2010
-- Robert Englund is an absolute American icon as Freddy Krueger. You could still probably put his face on Kids Chewable Vitamins, a child murderer no less, and it'd sell like hot cakes, even now. Jackie Earle Haley kick major ass in 2010, but new series lead Rooney Mara was horrendous. Was DOA at the box office as well. People just didn't care anymore, whether it was Englund or not. In an ironic twist, when Freddy was actually "Dead" in 1991's Freddy's Dead -- he kinda stayed that way. There hasn't been a traditional Nightmare film since. Everything has been reboots or versus gimmicks.

Hellraiser: Revelations
-- Doug Bradley did Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth, Hellraiser IV: Bloodline, Hellraiser V: Inferno, Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker, Hellraiser VII: Deader, and Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld.... and he says your script sucks and he doesn't want to do it. Stick to fan fiction brah.

I could go on. Evil Dead is climbing uphill, broke legged, dragging nine sucking puppies, and all of them are called "Fu Manchu".

AtariLegend wrote:

Disagree with you Axlin on Evil Dead, but do agree on Phantasm.

That's 1 series that had major potential, but jumped the shark way too fast. I can take the sequels for what they are, but they are stupid. Tall Man is great horror character, but I was incredibly disapointed if not embrassed by the time they got the 4th film.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It was such a shame what happened with that. Alot of fans argue back and forth about which film is superior, Phantasm or Phantasm II. Alot of people enjoyed II because it was basically Phantasm's "T2". Or as close to that as it's gonna get. Bigger, badder, bigger budget. Despite the lack of Michael Baldwin as Mike in his original role, James LeGros was a fantastic choice to take over the role. With a bigger budget, Phantasm II is a good example of what might've been. Problem is they just were never bigger than being cult films, and somewhere along the line Coscarelli went camp with it. Phantasm III is embarassing. I mean it's not a bad film, but come the fuck on. Kids with guns and Batarang-razors, the zombie trio of road pirates, Reggie constantly trying to get laid (introduced in Phantasm II unfortunately). It was ridiculous. IV tried to get back on track, but too much stock footage, no budget, and no real story. IV would've been better served actually expanding the Tall Man backstory, and doing the ENTIRE picture during the Civil War when Jebediah Morningside became the Tall Man, and HOW he became the Tall Man. Add a tad of a western vibe into it... that would've been badass. And probably fairly cheap for Coscarelli to do.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I think Coscarelli having this in his hands is the biggest problem. He's not Sam Raimi. He's not even John Carpenter. Coscarelli got "lucky" in that he was a one hit wonder. He had ONE good idea and ONE good execution once -- the original Phantasm. And he hasn't had a fucking clue what to do with it since 1979.

I can give great credit to the films for one thing... my undying LOVE for all things Mopar muscle cars, and black 'Cudas and Challengers can all be attributed to Phantasm. Over here in the states, everytime I see a brand new black Dodge Challenger go down the road, I think Phantasm.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Wait, did you just rate Sam Raimi above John Carpenter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKagOe2PRqB0LknUAQ6c_b0GcMzylktAgqq4vYFSZZdqVur8YG

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

They're about on the same level honestly, but only because Carpenter's catalog completely flatlined after They Live. In hindsight alot of his films are continuing to get more credit than they did in the 80's, even his producer/writer-only titles like Halloween II & III are being seen in a different pair of glasses in hind-sight.

But if you're just going on that 80's catalog of Carpenter's... he fucking crushes Raimi. But in fairness, I believe Carpenter is more of a horror/suspense director, versus Raimi at his core -- I think is an action director, more than horror. Even the original Evil Dead plays more like an action film, and especially it's sequels. Darkman, Quick & The Dead, Spider-Man... all action films.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Haven't watched a lot of his post They Live work, but Escape from LA was classic Carpenter.

Still he's got 2 of the best horror films of all time. Raimi just got a bunch of decent efforts. I don't think I'd put a single film of his higher than say, Assault on Precinct 13.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Man I'm looking forward to that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer