You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Burton Cummings Axl/RRHOF Reference

Rex wrote:

Just chill, guys.

There's really no point in arguing when it's very clear that neither one of you is gonna change your opinion. Bono thinks one way, Russ another. Simple as that. 19

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

What Cummings is talking about is not wanting to stand there for one night and act like everything is ok, then go back to doing separate things. He's not talking about a direct comparison between the two line ups.

That sounds pretty logical to me

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Again; your opinion.

In MY opinion, Axl has released one of the best GN'R albums and toured a ton, during which I've enjoyed a bunch of shows. So no, I don't think Axl has tarnished the Guns N' Roses name, nor do I need to be smoking crack to think so. Just because the general public has a different opinion than me doesn't make either of us right. It makes us having differing opinions.

And I'm absolutely blown away that you can be of the opinion that over the last 17 years Axl has maintained the legacy and done well with the Gn'R name.  that just blows me away. Fine like CD all you want but how on earth can you sit there and not hink Axl has tarnished the Gn'R name/brand.  17 years with one album that he never prooted and a revolving door of bandmates that he's never given a shit to promote  other than for a few weeks leading up to these vegas shows. Seriously man the comparion Cummings made between himself and Axl was competely off and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Axl is the epitomy of what he was bitching about.

What Cummings is talking about is not wanting to stand there for one night and act like everything is ok, then go back to doing separate things. He's not talking about a direct comparison between the two line ups.

And once more; it's called a difference of opinion. It has nothing to do with intelligence level, though that's always your go to insult when someone disagrees with you. I've never come across anyone other than you that immediately has to attempt to call someone else stupid when they disagree with your opinion because you view it as fact.

Holy shit man I can't Imagne having a  conversation with you in real life. You take everything so literally and not once did I question your intelligence just an overly sensitive reaction on your part. I'm blown away that you can be of the opinion that Axl hasn't hurt the Gn'R legacy but I guess to you that means I think you're a fucking idiot. Never said that but you implied it yourself for whatever reason. have you ever shot the shit with your buddies Russ and said "get off the crack" Serioulsy dude chill  out. What you're suggesting I was saying isn't even remotely close to what I was getting at but it's what you think. nice to see you making up stories dude. AND yes Cummings made a comparison of himself to Axl and it wasn't done in a  very good way because he talked about former band mates parading around as something they aren't which is exactly what Axl does. Figure it out man it's been 15 + years. You can still be a diehard and aknowledegthe reality of things. Cummings bitched about exactly what Axl does. End of story.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you could say Slash ruined the name by leaving/quitting....double edged sword...no one is "right"...except Bono of course.

I've always found this to be an interesting take, because it's the one no one takes. Really this was ALL set in motion by Slash qutting. Wasn't it Keith Richards who said, "you NEVER quit". Because it changes the dynamic.

Slash was the only force standing in the way of Axl reinventing Guns into Axl's own image of rock. I think Axl said something recently which alluded to wanting to record with Slash again AS A BAND, like they did during Appetite. Of course in Axl's mind it was Slash who ended all of that, not Axl. I tend to not believe that, but then again Slash was pretty sensitive by the UYI process and would not take ANY criticism over anything he did. The wide array of generic dog turds he's pumped out since 1995 pretty much prove that.

I think Axl never wanted traditional Guns N' Roses to end. I think he liked the sound of that band, but he felt Slash forced his hand to reinvent it to stay true. He felt it'd be embarassing to try to recreate GN'R into the same sound without Slash & Duff & Izzy, so he just decided to reboot it ala Halloween III into a whole new beast with the same flavor. It didn't work, but that was his opinion.

So yeah, in a weird way -- this was all Slash's fault. 21 19 13 22

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Or perhaps he believes like I do, that Axl isn't ruining the name?

get real. WHAT has Axl done to maintain or improve the legacy of Guns N' Roses? Yeah that's what I thought. Let's not be goofey here we all know what the reputation of Guns N' Roses was before and after 1994 and if anyone wants to sit there and say witha  straight face that Axl hasn't tarnished the legacy well then holy shit pass me the crack pipe.

And No Sky Dogg Slash didn't tarnish the name or reputation of Guns N' Roses by leaving. It's unreal that after all these years some people just can't call a  spade a spade. WTF?

Actually I'm not sure Axl really has tarnished the Guns N Roses legacy. In my experience people who aren't really GNR fans hear the name GNR and think back 20 years to what GNR was, SCOM, Jungle, NR Axl/Slash etc. not, despite everything, the CD saga or revolving lineup or Bucket or goth Finck.

I think the last 15 years has maybe tarnished Axls legacy or maybe he's just lived up to it. I certainly don't think he's enhanced the GNR legacy since Slash has left but the old lineup acheived too much, it would seem, for Axls post Slash activities (or lack of) to harm the legacy too much in the mind of the casual.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

So yeah, in a weird way -- this was all Slash's fault. 21 19 13 22

Not really anyones fault, I agree, but yeah he did leave the band. That's fine and all if you're tired of it like Izzy, but Slash was clearly using it as an ultimatum to Axl. Which is why he's bitched so much about it after the fact.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

RussTCB wrote:
Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Again; your opinion.

In MY opinion, Axl has released one of the best GN'R albums and toured a ton, during which I've enjoyed a bunch of shows. So no, I don't think Axl has tarnished the Guns N' Roses name, nor do I need to be smoking crack to think so. Just because the general public has a different opinion than me doesn't make either of us right. It makes us having differing opinions.

And I'm absolutely blown away that you can be of the opinion that over the last 17 years Axl has maintained the legacy and done well with the Gn'R name.  that just blows me away. Fine like CD all you want but how on earth can you sit there and not hink Axl has tarnished the Gn'R name/brand.  17 years with one album that he never prooted and a revolving door of bandmates that he's never given a shit to promote  other than for a few weeks leading up to these vegas shows. Seriously man the comparion Cummings made between himself and Axl was competely off and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Axl is the epitomy of what he was bitching about.

And once more; it's called a difference of opinion. It has nothing to do with intelligence level, though that's always your go to insult when someone disagrees with you. I've never come across anyone other than you that immediately has to attempt to call someone else stupid when they disagree with your opinion because you view it as fact.

I agree with your Cummings assessment.

I totally agree with his standing too.

I assume when I saw the Guess Who at Sars Stock it was without Jim Kale.

Man that dude is a douche.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My understanding is that...Slash didn't quit...Axl did.

Axl/Slash/Duff were involved in a partnership called GNR where they were equals.

Axl formally left that band, taking with him the rights to name a band GNR, then formed a new band called GNR where he was in sole command and with the object of recording industrial tracks...then asked Slash and Duff to join as employees. Slash refused.

So it's a serious case of perspective to blame that on Slash.

Let's say I'm married. I tell my wife I'm dissolving our marriage. Then invite her to be one of my concubines. She doesn't like it. And then people would say it's her fault we're not together?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Further to Bonos point...another interesting example is Baz.

Sebastian has said on multiple occasions that he's offended by Skid Row carrying on without him, that it tarnishes the achievements of their past, and that it's not Skid Row without him.

Yet he's best mates with Axl, who carries on GNR without the line up that created the success of that band.

It's perhaps reconcilable that to Baz what's important is the singing - so Axl has it, and Skid Row doesn't....but still it's curious...and I agree where that the Cummings refrence to Axl is actually describing what he doesn't want to do.

Board footer