You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:

there is filler on here defo - halfway there immediately springs to mind, & maybe a couple of tunes surrounding it: the album does sag in the middle. coulda done w/less but longer songs.
hopefully they make an even better one next time round. they are ridiculously, shockingly close to the perfection they attained thru '88-'94, they just need to cut loose & drop the soppy shit.

Halfway There filler? I'll admit that it does sound more like a Cornell solo track, but I think you're searching with your good eye closed looking for some filler on this album. tongue You don't cite more examples but say "maybe a couple of tunes surrounding it: the album does sag in the middle.". The general problem that you and probably many others have is that these songs are not surrounded by hits, so you think it "sags" in the middle. Lets use Superunknown as an example here.....

Hits/singles in bold

Let Me Drown
My Wave
Fell On Black Days
Mailman
Superunknown
Head Down
Black Hole Sun
Spoonman
Limo Wreck
The Day I Tried to Live
Kickstand
Fresh Tendrils
4th of July
Half
Like Suicide

Look at the placement of singles on that and the strength of the non singles. That album does not let you come up for air.

King Animal is Soundgarden's 'In Through the Out Door' but with more songs and I'm sure Zep fans know what I mean....and for those who don't, go download that album.

Saikin wrote:

By Crooked Steps is killer.  The whole album is.  As you said, none of it is filler, the first album they have created like that.  So I think it's only natural that us hardcore fans will have very different opinions of it.  So far, Attrition and Eyelids Mouth haven't hit me they way they have others.  Right now, it's a toss up between Taree, Rowing and Bones of Birds for best song on the album.  But that is likely to change, because the whole fucking thing is good.

Yeah, like when I "rediscovered" Down on the Upside in 2008 and my favorite song changed almost constantly.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I'm sure everyone who wants the album has already acquired it, but I wanted to mention that Amazon tweeted that King Animal is only $3.99 all week.

This is cool, but kinda sucks because I was gonna get the special edition off of itunes.  It seems rough to justify 11 extra dollars for 4 demos and a digital booklet... but I still might.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Haven't found any real filler yet. There are some stand outs bit the whole album is solid. Beyond solid. I've spun it at least 3x a day since I downloaded it and I'm gonna buy the vinyl even though I don't yet have a record player.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Bought the iTunes deluxe edition.  Soundgarden demos are always worth it.

I'm curious to hear James' opinion on the Worse Dreams demo.  I kinda like the vocal effect Cornell uses.  And with that vocal effect, he sounds the same he did with Soundgarden back in the DOTU era.  It's like the vocal effect used in Kyle Petty.  Guitars are also more prominent in the demo.

It's a shame that Kim and Ben haven't done anything since SG disbanded in the 90's.  I would love to hear non-SG stuff from both of them.  Kim has really improved as a player and writer since '96.  And Ben is an amazing bass player.  His tone is wonderful.  I'm glad to see him featured more prominently on this album.

Taree is killer.  Love his bass on that.  And Rowing and Worse Dreams.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I'm sure everyone who wants the album has already acquired it, but I wanted to mention that Amazon tweeted that King Animal is only $3.99 all week.

This is cool, but kinda sucks because I was gonna get the special edition off of itunes.  It seems rough to justify 11 extra dollars for 4 demos and a digital booklet... but I still might.

If you are a hardcore SG fan the demos are worth it.  However, I'm sure they will turn up eventually if you don't want to spend the extra money for 4 demos. 

I'm hoping the Best Buy exclusive demos appear.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

One more post....

Cornell has sold his soul.  That's the only way you can explain the Letterman concert, Letterman performace, SG surprise mini-set for the Sandy Benefit Show, and then Cornell doing a full solo acoustic set.  All in one day.  How is that even possible?

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

If you are a hardcore SG fan the demos are worth it.  However, I'm sure they will turn up eventually if you don't want to spend the extra money for 4 demos. 

I'm hoping the Best Buy exclusive demos appear.

Just checked, and you can buy the demos individually.  Usually itunes makes their special edition stuff with full album purchase only, but didn't this time.  I'm grabbing those now and considering picking up a hard copy later this week.

johndivney wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:
johndivney wrote:

there is filler on here defo - halfway there immediately springs to mind, & maybe a couple of tunes surrounding it: the album does sag in the middle. coulda done w/less but longer songs.
hopefully they make an even better one next time round. they are ridiculously, shockingly close to the perfection they attained thru '88-'94, they just need to cut loose & drop the soppy shit.

Halfway There filler? I'll admit that it does sound more like a Cornell solo track, but I think you're searching with your good eye closed looking for some filler on this album. tongue You don't cite more examples but say "maybe a couple of tunes surrounding it: the album does sag in the middle.". The general problem that you and probably many others have is that these songs are not surrounded by hits, so you think it "sags" in the middle. Lets use Superunknown as an example here.....

i didn't cite other examples cause i didn't want to be the asshole that rains on people's parade & craps on their favourite songs!

Halfway There does sound like one of those wretched Audioslave ballads.

hit's aren't my problem. i already explained my problem - i went in w/expectations that thayil was gonna have a bigger influence & expected some monstrous, epic psych jams, i was (half) expecting a slightly different direction. instead, & i mean i'm thrilled w/what we got, we got a (nearly) streamlined SG album, nearly 'all killer/no filler'. i just wanted a little more unrestrained monumental psych epicness. fuck the hits (tho i don't really mean that of course, cause if there was A Day I Tried to Live on here i'd be jizzing my pants like the rest of you guys). but like i say, hopefully next time they expand the formula cuase this is a great first step back. & when i say expand the formula i don't mean the pedestrian problem-rock of DOTU, i mean let thayil loose & rip out some Hawkwind influenced freakouts!

johndivney wrote:
Saikin wrote:

It's a shame that Kim and Ben haven't done anything since SG disbanded in the 90's.  I would love to hear non-SG stuff from both of them.  Kim has really improved as a player and writer since '96.

you could check out 'Altar' by Sunn 0))) & Boris, thayil makes an appearance in the 3cd/lp version on the final song & provides the liner notes. Dylan Carson & some other guy from Earth & High on Fire guest on the album too, along w/a bunch of others. 
both bands are exceptional, but if you don't much like doom & drone then it's prob not your cup of tea. but defo give it a try as both Sunn 0 & Boris are, imo, two of the greatest bands on the planet.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Does anyone have a feeing that this will be it from the guys or that this run will last?
My impression of Chris is that he likes being solo.

Will he simply use this as a vehicle to (yet again) try to get more people to like & buy his solo albums?

Board footer