You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

James wrote:

Great review Axlin. CD comparison something I'd like to discuss further once its sunk in. I might start a thread soon in the GNR section comparing SG's near flawless return to how CD was unveiled song by song, year after year with a polished album worse than what fans had already heard.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In some ways I wonder if God loves grunge. I mean it seems like the divine is on the sides of these bands and their comeback albums.

Absolutely fucking destroying other bands from the LA scene. Seattle has kept it's head above water, and basically performed and written like no time has past. Even when Pearl Jam aren't pretending to be a pop folk band, they can easily throw a Ten/Vs.-type track on a new album around cut 4, and probably do it in a day and just go "oh yeah, we can still do that btw".

I listened to King Animal again today, and it sounded even better again today. My only complaint would be that it might be a tad too upbeat for me sonically in several places, and needs to be a bit darker... but that's just my tastes.

Don't know if Soundgarden will immediately dress a new album, or take a look at spit shining that vault, or maybe drop a couple singles in 2013, but God I hope so. Really pumped to hear AIC's new stuff. They're supposed to drop a new album next year.

The other night I was actually thinking of... "why can't these guys tour together?"

Imagine this -- a North American tour that features a Pearl Jam/Soundgarden double headline, with some Temple of the Dog features, with Alice In Chains opening the entire tour? Why couldn't that happen? SG will be supporting KA I assume in 2013, PJ is working a new album, AIC's new deal is supposed to drop next year. Then I thought about Cameron... and fuck. They really need a touring drummer or something. It spoils everything.

One more thought -- I just wanted to re-affirm how well written and well-structured this album is. Lyrically, I don't know if i've heard anything this good in a long time.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

After listening to this album a lot since it came out, I can say that Attrition is the closest thing to filler on this album. It doesn't do it for me. I tend to skip it a lot.

Favorites for me are Been Away, Crooked Steps, Rowing, Worse Dreams, Bones of Birds, Non State, Taree, Black Saturday, Eyelids Mouth. All tracks I don't skip. I'm tempted to throw in Halfway There, but it doesn't sound like SG. I can only hear Cornell solo featuring the members of SG.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

How can I say this respectfully?

I don't understand why everyone loves this album.

I like soundgarden. I like cornells solo projects.

But to me this whole album is bland, sameish, unispired B sides. I'm struggling to even get through it every time I put it back on to change my mind.

There's not a song here that stacks up to the soungarden classics...or even the best of audioslave or chris' solo works IMO.

I'll give james Flawless execution marketing wise of how to stage a comeback...but the content is just so pointless....it's like some other band cloning what soundharden used to be except without the talent and without the inspiration....

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

the content is just so pointless....it's like some other band cloning what soundharden used to be except without the talent and without the inspiration....

wow
we're hearing very different things. i actually think the band are on fire w/invention & inspiration on here. they're groovy as fuck & heavy. it's an exciting listen. one of the better american [hard] rock albums of the past however many yrs.

i think there are a good few tunes that stack up comfortably alongside the catalogue. there's some cracker moments & workouts.
there is a little bit of a slog & non-descript tracks. again reiterating what i said previously it coulda been trimmed down to 9 or 10 songs & been more effective. but still the quality shines thru. for me anyway it's a fun fucking record.

(& i cant help but be insulted when you prefer cornells solo & audioslave output to it! tongue )

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

You guys gotta check out the version with the demos if you haven't. Think I like the cuts there better than the album versions. Especially Worse Dreams sounds a lot better with the rougher guitar.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Been Away Too Long

A grower. Good opener, one of the better songs on the album.

Non State Actor

Bit of a no note. Doesn't grab you very much, eering on the side of filler.

By Crooked Steps

The demo has a better intro, but the album cut is actually a lot better because of a little thing they do at 2.48. I think they could have a done little bit more on that part though. Not as good as the opener, but a good song.

A Thousand Days Before

First "ballad". Cornell is good here. On the level of BCS, maybe a little better.

Blood On The Valley Floor

Taking a little dip here. Feels a bit flat, tired perhaps. Skip candidate.

Bones Of Birds

Another mellow piece. Again I'm left with the feeling this kinda material suits Cornell better. Probably the albums second best song at this point. The demo is a more stripped down version, also worth a listen.

Taree

I immediately like the melody here. Groovy and what should I say, teasy? There are some flaws with the chorus and solo but still a quality effort.

Attrition

Does little for me. Monkey's comments fit very well here.

Black Saturday

Alright, but leaves you wanting. First minute or so is pretty solid. Demo is a lot better.

Halfway There

Getting a little late, late Aerosmith vibes here. Tame and popish.

Worse Dreams

The most glaring example of the effects of crack smoking in post production. The final cut is decent but the demo is the best song on the album. The somewhat tedious intro is gone and the guitar is much loader and rawer. Massive song, the demo that is. Album version feels like a neutered dog in comparison.

Eyelid's Mouth

Below par. Filler if you like.

Rowing

Cornell doing his best Dead Man impression. It's good but gets repetitive for 2 and a half minutes, after which the song really starts. Think this is the first and only proper guitar solo. It's very good though. Flawed song, and for this record that's a kind of fitting climax.

Out of 13 songs 5 are badish. 7 if you discount the demo version of Worse Dreams and Black Saturday. Though if you count them I'd say there are at least 7 good to very good songs on King Animal. About as much as you can expect from a thing like this.

Best song: Worse Dreams (demo)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pretty harsh review monkey. Not all that surprising I suppose. The whole world's not gonna like it. 16 I rarely check the SG site but the few times I have since its release, I've seen criticism there as well. Some think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, others think its a pile of shit.

I don't see how anyone can listen to songs like By Crooked Steps, Taree, Non-State Actor, Worse Dreams, etc. and consider it "bland and uninspired". The band is on fire on a lot of these tracks and a few of the songs are easily gonna be on my all time favorite SG songs list. Axlin hit the nail on the head regarding Taree....Thayil is making up for lost time here and shows how insane it was that such a talent sat idle for so many years.

There's very little filler here. With all albums I listen to I eventually narrow it down to my fave songs for a playlist. At this point I could only see myself dropping Attrition and Halfway There. I cant even comprehend how Halfway There made it on the album. I remember a few years ago Thayil made a comment about how SG could have improved Cornell's Scream album. Maybe Cornell brought an old solo tune he scrapped(probably from Carry On) and let the band add their ingredients. Doesn't really matter how it came about I suppose as it just doesn't work or even fit in with the rest of the album. The fact that its sandwiched between two of the album's killer tracks makes it stand out even more.

Polluxlm, sounds like your opinion of this album is identical to mine regarding CD....older versions better than the album itself. I would take the CD demos over the album even though its less songs.  Been listening to the real album and its the only album I've listened to since release. SG has definitely always had some killer demos (Kyle Petty, Nothing to Say, Birth Ritual). Worst demo IMO is Fell on Black Days but is clearly the song in its infancy and nowhere near ready to be listened to by anyone.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qkxtfaS8gM

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Dandelion played on the iPod today while I was driving and it made me think of this album.  If that song can have a guitar solo, why aren't there more actual solos on King Animal?  I know not every song needs to have a solo in it, but it seems like Kim was underplayed on this album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

How can I say this respectfully?

I don't understand why everyone loves this album.

I like soundgarden. I like cornells solo projects.

But to me this whole album is bland, sameish, unispired B sides. I'm struggling to even get through it every time I put it back on to change my mind.

There's not a song here that stacks up to the soungarden classics...or even the best of audioslave or chris' solo works IMO.

I'll give james Flawless execution marketing wise of how to stage a comeback...but the content is just so pointless....it's like some other band cloning what soundharden used to be except without the talent and without the inspiration....

We're on completely different pages here, because I thought a song like Taree, as well as Bones and Birds, but especially Taree was immediately comparable to any of the past catalog, and immediately catchy to the casuals.

As soon as I first heard this album, I immediately thought "THIS! THIS is how a rock album is done". I was reminded how much Shinedown and bands like that look like a giant steaming pile of shit. Lyrically inferior, musically inferior, and basically corporate shills.

This album reminded what rock could be, should be, and in it's heart is. It's well-written, well-executed, well-performed, and all around the best product from the rock market, at least since 2009.

But rest easy friend, in two weeks there will be a new AIC single, and you'll be back in hopefully familiar territory. After all... it's your decision.

Board footer