You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: board games

Neemo wrote:

Anyone a board game fanatic...talking more of the eurogames or upper end products, not monopoly and stuff

We've been into a few of them in the past year or two

Settlers of catan
Ticket to ride
Lords of waterdeep
Game of thrones
Pandemic
Carcassonne

To name a few

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Used to play a lot of Risk and Axis&Allies. Loads of fun. But it's going to take 5-6 hours to complete a game, so not as easy to get people together anymore.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Big boardgame geek here... Never played lords of waterdeep, but besides that one we have all in games your list amongst our regular group of players. Depending on whether or not you like the really long games you should check out Twilight Imperium, which sometimes takes us up to 8-9 hours for a six player game: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1249 … rd-edition

Slightly more manageable but in the same style is Eclipse: typically 2 to 4 hours, depending on how good the players are: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse

I personally really enjoy Arkham Horror, but that's because I'm fond of the Cthulhu lore: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror

Those are all fairly complex (definitely more complex than settlers and ticket to ride, game of thrones would come a bit closer) and you need to be in the mood for that of course. Some simpler beer-and-pretzel games I like are Dominion (although that is technically a card game...) http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion which still is quite competitive, or something like Dixit which works better when some of our less competitive significant others also want to play: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39856/dixit

I'd never heard the term Eurogames before... I guess that's probably because we just call them 'games' over here? wink

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

There are some games thought up and created in various euro country...taking the simple Hasbro game rules and turning them on their heads so we get eurogames...things like catan 16

There are 3-4 of us that play regularily, the others arent versed in the ccg thing so we've avoided dominion

I have a copy of axis & allies that I've borrowed but we haven't tried it yet

We also try to avoid games with too much conflict....lords of waterdeep is cool tho it seems to get a bad rap from hardcores gamers

What us ur group #1 game mole? Ours is prolly pandemic....but lords of waterdeep has a lot of play recently (we just picked up the expansion)

Also I can play catan, carcasonne and ticket to ride with my kids so its nice to have simple mechanics sometimes

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Well, we don't play Dominion as a collectible card game as such, it's nothing like Magic The Gathering or Pokemon where the more money you spend the more competitive you are. I'm not into that myself. It's perfectly possible to just buy the first full box and play only that for the rest of your lives... (actually, we have two compatible starter kits between two of our group, so thats pretty much what we do). So I'd say give it a shot, it's the sort of thing thats easy to pick up but deceptively hard to master...

Depending on the type of night we're looking for I'd say we have two top contenders: Eclipse for the hardcore stuff and Ticket To Ride with the extended, more casual crowd. Although we stopped playing the European map in Ticket To Ride; once you know how it's too easy to win and if everyone knows how it becomes purely a matter luck alone...

Besides that we also do some classic tabletop roleplaying once in a while. Great fun if you have someone in your group who is willing to spend the time preparing the sessions. I'm personally more of an overall atmosphere/fun kinda guy than a hardcore strategist, so RPGs and cooperative games in general are very much my bag.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Haven't played many board games in awhile. Miss playing Catan. Played it several years ago with a bunch of people in this gaming club in high school. Need to pick it up again. I used to collect a ton of trading cards from various media and play some games with friends in the neighborhood.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

So I've been on a bit of a binge lately

For some reason I've picked up playing magic the gathering again...pretty decent following in my area so every 2nd Friday or something I go out and play "Friday night magic" sometimes I win...sometimes I suck lol

Fantasy flight games also released a starwars card/dice game called Destiny...it's pretty good but hard to find right now...there is not alot of supply to meet the demand

Another starwars game came out last year called rebellion...just picked that one up last night...looks pretty  sweet...but long...u basically playou either the empire or the rebellion...the empires job is to find the hidden Rebel base...the rebel's job is to not die

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

There's a League of Legends board game that is pretty fun. I've only played it twice though...gets really intense and you play as a team with up to 4 players against the board.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Would be cool. I'm not an extremely busy person but would be hard to find the time anymore, although would prolly make for a fun Friday or Saturday "night out".

As a kid, I did play Axis & Allies a bit.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Me and about 7 other guys rent a cabin for 4 days once a year and spend the whole weekend playing board games and boozing.  Mostly Risk, but Munchkin, D&D and some other games make the rounds too.

Board footer