You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Rock In Rio 3 (2001) Directv source

otto wrote:

Does anyone have it to download?

I had it on VHS back in the day, even sent some tapes over to Dust N'Bones members but on YouTube I only seem to find Multishow source.

Directv transmission didn't have any graphics placed on the screen and didn't have a presenter, it was a great copy.

Would love to download a clean version of that source.

megadethers
 Rep: 0 

megadethers wrote:

add my ID for SKYPE !

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Otto....did you ever find a better copy of this? Its one of my all time favorite GNR shows.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Otto....did you ever find a better copy of this? Its one of my all time favorite GNR shows.

The first public appearance of Mickey. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah i've never understood the fascination people have with this show, other than the fact that when I was in high school, it was the first appearence of GN'R in 7 years, and everybody freaked the fuck out to see Axl in that way.

I don't feel the band was quite tight then. Axl was in good spirits, even if Mickey Axl made an appearence, but to me Robin & Bucket hadn't quite found their groove, and to me Richard Fortus sounded better in 2002 than Paul did at Rio III.

It's sad a more pro-shot show never happened in the Fall of 2002 (other than the disastrous VMA appearence).

That Boston 2002 & MSG 2002... the band is fucking TIGHT. Everybody really found their groove. So wish in hind-sight that Axl had released his techno-Chinese w/ Bucket during that period. It'd been bad ass.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The band is just ON. Care nothing about the old stuff and I skip it so maybe there are flaws I am missing. The new songs are great. Hell I even think OMG at this show is listenable.

Boston 02 is incredible. Other than HOB 01, the title track was never performed better. From 01 to 02 you can see the rerecording already in progress even though we didn't hear studio tracks. The Blues had a massive overhaul and so did the title track. Maddy has a different solo. Silkworms and OMG are dropped. Riad is attempted again but its a mess vocally.

Rio needed more CD tracks. Imagine IRS being played that night. If the World..... TWAT....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Axl's voice my have some issues at rio3....but his stage presence is classic Axl...from throwing the guy out...to the oasis comparison...to the running around shirt open....

I remember back in the day I found this show confronting (so clearly not Slash and crew) but I felt the new band came alive during the new songs - especially Madagascar which inspired me greatly and showed me Axl could hold interest as a songwriter even without the AFD crew.

Watching it back now you might be surprised, at the time I thought Axl's voice had issues, but watching it compared to the vegas blu ray I'd probably take Rio3 Axl back any day. If you can cope with Bucket/Robin it holds up better than you'd expect when compared to more recent 'upsetting' shows like Rio4.

I still think Rock Am Ring 06 and Osaka 2009 are the best 'new band' shows from an Axl point of view....but there's something very watchable about Rio 3 - especially in the modern era when you know what to expect in relation to the band not being UYI era.

I'd love a high quality too if anyone has it. I've seen some half decent boots on youtube...but i'm sure somewhere someone must have something better.

sorry to bring up an old topic but has anyone got the direct tv version?

Board footer