You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Post your track list for GH/Best Of set

James wrote:

With reunion talk and discussion concerning their vault, figured we could post what an officially approved GH/Best Of collection might look like. IMO if they are going to reunite and/or unload the vault it will get underway with a GH set.

GNR have always needed a compilation better than GH. I think it will be two discs so that's what I'll go with. It's something that would need to please hard cores, cater to casuals, and at the same time be something that encompasses their entire career for a new fan.I think it should be similar to Soundgarden's Telephantasm with live versions of some of the hits and an unreleased song but I'm going to leave out unheard songs and most definitely leaving off anything CD.

Yeah I know us fans have done this a million times but this is the first year where it's a bit more relevant. I put some thought into this while listening to TSI earlier and complaining about that GH.

Disc 1:

Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
SCOM
KOHD (Live at the Marquee B side)
Whole Lotta Rosie
Move to the City
Patience
You're Crazy (Lies)
Don't Cry (demo)
Civil War

Disc 2:
Dust N Bones
Live and Let Die
Double Talkin' Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Coma
Pretty Tied Up
Yesterdays
YCBM
Estranged
Aint It Fun

IMO it needs nothing else from the band's discography.  Disc 1 covers LLAS- AFD up to Civil War hitting radio in 1990 during the middle of the wait for UYI and disc 2 covers UYI-TSI. Both phases of old GNR represented on separate discs.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

You have Dust N Bones but not Night Train... Interesting.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I really don't think a two-disc Greatest Hits collection for a band whose complete discography consists of five discs is workable. And there are way too many deep cuts on that suggested playlist.

You're Crazy? Coma? A live version of KOHD? Double Talkin' Jive? What you've come up with is a fantasy collection for hardcore fans. People like us think of those tracks as essential entries in the catalogue, but casual buyers don't give a fuck – they want Paradise City, November Rain and SCOM. The stuff you put on the jukebox, the stuff they remember from MTV, the stuff that's played at sports stadiums. Even Mr Brownstone is a bit obscure when you consider it in that light. Queen didn't put Mustapha or It's Late on its Greatest Hits collection, they put Another One Bites the Dust and Bohemian Rhapsody on there.

Honestly, I think the existing Greatest Hits collection is pretty much fit for purpose. I'd consider leaving out one of the TSI tracks and popping Estranged on there, but that's about it. If a reunited Axl and Slash could be persuaded to record two or three new tracks, then you could consider bumping it up to two discs and making a big deal of it, but there are still tracks I'd put on there ahead of the deep cuts.

Sky Dog wrote:

1 disc

wttj
scom
pc
patience
don't cry
november rain
civil war
yesterdays
kohd
ycbm
ain't it fun
estranged

12 tracks-nice and tight

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I like your one James and especially like the way you've segmented the 2 specific eras.

Anyone have that rumoured 2 disc set that we saw alleged artwork for a few years before CD dropped? That'd be interesting.

My go and for this is "best of" not "greatest hits". Big difference although I have include likes of NR and DC which I don't think you can omit despite me not thinking it's their strongest.

Disc 1:

Jungle
ISE
Nightrain
Brownstone
Paradise
SCOM
Rocket Queen
Move to the city
Patience
One in a million (bit controversial but a brilliant song)
Civil war

Disc 2:
You could be mine
Live and let die
November rain
Don't cry
Dust n bones
Heavens door
Double talkin jive
Locomotive
Coma
Estranged
Ain't it fun

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jimmy you're spot on about a best of being entirely different from a GH. Complaints of deep cuts strange as all best of have them. I was trying to make it like SG's Telephantasm.

I like your list. It's hard as hell  deciding which AFD songs to place on there. No matter which way we slice it key tracks have to be left off the thing..

As far as a single GH goes, I think sky dog nailed it.

@11day:

That specific live KOHD was in constant radio rotation on top 40 radio in 88-89 even though it wasn't a single. Yeah it belongs. I'd even squeeze it on to a single disc GH if possible.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If I was making this and had the power of God at my fingertips:

Jungle (Live Era)
Nightrain feat Buckethead
Paradise City (Live Era)
SCOM feat Robin Finck
Rocket Queen
Patience (Live Era)
One In A Million
Perfect Crime (Live Indiana)
Don't Damn Me
Coma (Live Era)
KOHD (Live Era) morphing into Buckethead.
Breakdown

Locomotive
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Ain't It Fun
Hair of the Dog
I Don't Care About You
Better
There Was A Time
Scraped
Sorry

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
My Michelle
Think About You
Sweet Child O' Mine
Patience
You Could Be Mine
Rocket Queen

Dust N' Bones
Live And Let Die
Don't Cry
November Rain
Civil War
Yesterdays
Estranged
Knockin On Heaven's Door (Live)
Ain't It Fun
The Blues
Better
Madagascar

So more or less the tracklist of the re-recorded version of AFD, with the rest of the hits along with some minor deep cuts on Disc 2.

If they were scared disc one was too boring for hardcore fans, they could also offer a special deluxe edition with an extend cut of 'My World' tongue

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Jungle - live VMA 88
Mr Brownstone
Nightrain
Sweet Child O' Mine
Rocket Queen
Paradise City
Move To the City
Patience
KOHD
Pretty Tied Up
November Rain

You Could Be Mine
Civil War
Bad Obsession
Yesterdays
Estranged
Don't Damn Me
Human Being
Down on the Farm
There Was A Time
Madagascar - Live Rio 01

Sky Dog wrote:

The live KOHD that James is talking about was played all the time in the ATL on radio in 88-89-90....more airplay than CD ever got...unfortunately.

Board footer