You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Tommy is out(?)

Smoking Guns wrote:

Cramer and Apex, please kiss and make up. No need to worry that much what either of you say. We have all been here a long time. No need to be like this.

AtariLegend wrote:

Not that it needs to be in doubt given the interviews he gave recently, but Fortus denied again on facebook today when he was asked if he was out.

2rgndli.png

Axl was with Pitman last week at least and Dizzy gave interviews recently, not that anyone would have been taking his place anyway. Not counting Frank.

Essentially certain members keep denying they're out, but a certain other forum won't believe them sad. People are still convinced there will be a reunion based upon an interview where Slash himself refused to talk about one.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

We've all been thru this type of uncertainty before...and we all know it ain't over until the proverbial elvis leaves the building

When we see a DJ or Ron type of official statement I'll believe that someone has left the band....I seriously doubt that the "news" will be broken on a random radio show or podcast

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Essentially certain members keep denying they're out, but a certain other forum won't believe them sad. People are still convinced there will be a reunion based upon an interview where Slash himself refused to talk about one.

I really don't see why people would read too much into his comment.  "If I'm out, it's news to me" is a response anyone would give in these circumstances and in his position. It's not some riddle that needs to be solved. Sometimes us hardcore fans go overboard but I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad on either the reunion or CD II side of the fence because of this statement. Obviously I have never been the president of the Richard Fortus fan club but I don't see a need to bash him over that.  Axl/GNR and the fan base are stuck in neutral at the moment and probably will be for the rest of the year at least. Whatever is going to happen is obviously slated for 2016. While there is technically enough time to put out an album by the end of the year, its unlikely and even if the original lineup is hanging out at Axl's house as we speak they aren't going to do anything publicly now.

IMO if 2016 passes with no concrete plans either way I think its all over but the forum nerd crying. If anything could happen for the 30th AFD anniversary we would hear about it in 16 and if CD II is in the pipeline another year and a half wait makes zero sense and I would definitely consider it scrapped if we don't have it by 2017.

Its 2016 or bust.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its 2016 or bust.

GN'R could go quiet for the next 5-10 years but it still doesn't mean that GNR are bust, just means that Axls in no hurry to cash in his next payday. Even if it's 20 years from now, we'll all still be here, as will the revenue-generating media looking for an easy headline.

Lomax wrote:

How do I say this.
Slash back would be great but..
I still don't want a full AFD reunion. I think it would be a serious serious let down.
A Disappointment.
AFD era GNR were great in their day. But that day was nearly 30 years ago now.
I'd want to see them do something new and exciting.

I always wanted to see Axl as like an O.G. torch bearer for Rock n' Roll in the same way a guy like Jay-Z is for Hip Hop.
When DJ came on board I was hopeful for that. Taking a younger artist under his wing bringing him around the world training him in and helping to build his  career.

Rock n Roll moguls are needed. I'd love to have seen Axl start involved in a rock n roll media empire.
Imagine all the biggest rock n roll brands buy up a couple of blocks of real-estate in Detroit and strike up a deal amongst each other to act as the gatekeepers for rock n roll culture.
The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Ac/Dc, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Queen, Metallica, The Who, Aerosmith, Sabbath, U2. Imagine those guys all working together to create their own Rock N Roll Record labels and streaming services, ticket sales, publishing, touring agencies.
That is what is needed in a world where the music industry has been monopolized. These are big brands that are dying out. Pink Floyd rolled up last month. That is a huge brand that could have done so much for up and coming musicians that is just being wasted.
That wold be something. The grunge guys did that on a small scale back in the day. Nobody has done it for rock since.
I'd think that would be an idea that Axl would like too..

i should write up this idea as a proper essay and tweet it to the man. ...

Day dream over....

Also.... on a related note.
If slash isn't back. Ricihe Sambora is free and he is a monstrosity of a guitar player.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

IMO if 2016 passes with no concrete plans either way I think its all over but the forum nerd crying. If anything could happen for the 30th AFD anniversary we would hear about it in 16 and if CD II is in the pipeline another year and a half wait makes zero sense and I would definitely consider it scrapped if we don't have it by 2017.

Its 2016 or bust.

Pretty good thoughts. I'd say this is fairly accurate way of looking at it.

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its 2016 or bust.

GN'R could go quiet for the next 5-10 years but it still doesn't mean that GNR are bust, just means that Axls in no hurry to cash in his next payday. Even if it's 20 years from now, we'll all still be here, as will the revenue-generating media looking for an easy headline.

Gosh I hope I'm not still here in 10-20 years. hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good post Lomax but...

I still don't want a full AFD reunion. I think it would be a serious serious let down.
A Disappointment.

Why a disappointment exactly? Yes they are older but the Soundgarden reunion sure as hell hasn't been a disappointment and they are about the same age. The main risk of a reunion IMO other than it imploding immediately for various reasons is the possibility of the band going into limbo if/when recording gets underway. GNR's history has two major delays when it comes to getting projects off the ground(UYI and CD). The window isn't large enough for another one. If they cant go into a studio SG style then I hope they don't bother and just unload the vault instead.

AFD era GNR were great in their day. But that day was nearly 30 years ago now.

new GNR were great in their day. But that day was nearly 14 years ago now.

We all wanted him to do something new and exciting and "carry the torch". He could have, he should have, but simply didn't. Once the wait got past 2003 we all should have realized that wasn't going to happen.

Regardless of how the CD saga turned out I still think he can do something killer whether its a reunion or something else. The question is does he want to and does he even have the ambition to pull it off.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Most desirable and pragmatic solution for me is as follows:

1. Cherry pick the most 'classic GN'R' sounding songs from the CD2 vault. Get Slash and the boys in to redo some of the guitars.
2. Work up some old Izzy numbers (these for the most part could be from back in the day or over the years)
3. Any of the 'killer Aerosmith Rocks on steroids' riffs Slash wrote in 95-96 and work them up with the band.
4. Take Frank, Chris, Dizzy, Richard, Slash, Duff and Axl out on the reunion tour Izzy popping in for regular slots and/or Matt/Steven if viable.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

On the chances of disappointment for a reunion - it would all hang on Axl for me. He is the wildcard - if he got in shape and put some serious effort into his vocal performances it could be great. If we get breathless, overweight helium Axl, the world will look on in embarrassment.

The possibility of bust-ups, riots, meltdowns and relapses are par for the course and were always part of what made GN'R tick

Board footer