You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Attacks in Paris @ Eagles of Death Metal

FlashFlood wrote:

I'm sure everyone has seen the news so not going to link an article but there were attacks in Paris tonight, with a connection to GnR. Sure everyone remembers the "Pigeons of Shit Metal"...

Terrible news of course.

AtariLegend wrote:

Terrible. Was just raiding in WOW when someone asked about Paris. Was confused, on BBC site atm. Didn't even know that band were there though.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Fucking animals, makes me furious.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pure evil. We live in such crazy times. Something drastic and potentially draconian may need to happen to get this terrorist shit under control.  The status quo is unacceptable. Do I know of the solutions? Of course not but the US, EU, and Russia need to somehow tackle this thing head on and obviously the occasional drone strike, cries for various regime changes, and even long term occupations don't seem to get the job done. It's time for the powers that be to think outside the box.

Just hearing about this now. Hadn't watched the news today or checked the usual sites yet.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

First of all, strength for Paris.

James Lofton wrote:

It's time for the powers that be to think outside the box.

I agree. Only we may have different ideas as to how to breach the situation, which I agree, is condemnable. All attacks on human life are.

James Lofton wrote:

obviously the occasional drone strike, cries for various regime changes, and even long term occupations don't seem to get the job done.

If anything, they make everything worse and natives rise up in a decade to bite the hand that feeds the war machine. Allies become fanatics and enemies of the state that supplied them in the first place.

Afghanistan was transformed from a kingdom to a republic in 1973, when Mohammed Daoud Khan deposed the king, his cousin, in a non-violent coup. Daoud refused the ancient title of shah and became the first president of the country. He worked actively for the betterment of women's rights and creating jobs for the people.

Daoud wanted lessen the country's dependence of Soviet support and strengthened the military. Story has it he met with Leonid Brezhnev, General Secretary of the Soviet Union, and in 1977, told him dead in the eye that Afghanistan would remain free, and the Soviet would never have a say on how the country would be governed.

Almost exactly a year later, Daoud was killed in the presidential palace in a coup. The new government issued a statement that he had resigned for health reasons. His final remains, along with 28 others, were eventually discovered in mass graves in Kabul in 2008, thirty years after his death.

By September 1979, Afghanistan was in the grips of a civil war and in an open conflict with the Soviet Union.

The situation we abhor in more stable countries has been the only life many Afghans have ever experienced.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Just completely fucked up...so scary, so tragic

has any organisation claimed responsibility yet?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

An ISIS cell that's just returned from Syria apparently. I think some of them were born in France, not that it matters really but one was also female.

There's just no end in sight to this. You cut the head off one serpant and it grows three more.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

An ISIS cell that's just returned from Syria apparently. I think some of them were born in France, not that it matters really but one was also female.

There's just no end in sight to this. You cut the head off one serpant and it grows three more.

There is  no solution, other than decimating an idea. Which I'm not sure how you would do.

Other than that, these assholes are embedded in Europe (and other Western countries), some second generation, and this will only continue.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Cramer wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

There is  no solution, other than decimating an idea. Which I'm not sure how you would do.

Other than that, these assholes are embedded in Europe (and other Western countries), some second generation, and this will only continue.

You can't kill ideas unless you kill every person holding that idea.

Solutions are always available, but none will be politically viable until things get much, much worse. By then it might be too late.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Solutions are always available, but none will be politically viable until things get much, much worse. By then it might be too late.

Just curious pollux what non politically viable solutions do you think there are out there that would work. Extreme or not.

Board footer