You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Scott Weiland Is Dead.

AtariLegend wrote:

Scott Weiland Died of Mixed Drug Toxicity, Medical Examiner Confirms

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office shared a press release Friday (Dec. 18) sharing that Scott Weiland died of a "mixed drug toxicity: cocaine, ethanol and methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA). Other significant conditions are noted as atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, history of asthma and multi-substance dependence. Manner of death is accident."

Weiland, 48, passed away in Minnesota on Thursday, Dec. 3 while on tour with his band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts. The former Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver frontman's funeral was held in Los Angeles Thursday, Dec. 10.

Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ … l-examiner

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Interesting comparison, however I think slightly different in that imho Scott achieved the status he so sought (deservedly or not), in that he became a 90s alt rock/grunge (near) icon. A the fame & success pretty much stayed, so he knew what his legacy was.

Jani Lane was a bit more unfortunate. The VH1 interviews & Behind The Musics (wish that was on Netflix, are they?), he always bemoaned being "The Cherry Pie Guy", a cheesy hit song he could never escape the connotations of.  Sad, some of their other hits were a bit more lasting (Heaven, I Saw Red) & that album, which I think the label named Cherry Pie, was a bit more acoustic rock.  I think the story is they handed in a Tesla styled rock album, and the label said "There's no hits on it", and told them to go back and record a hit song.. They came back with Cherry Pie & Love in Stereo and the rest, as they say, is history.  I think a similar thing happened with Def Leppards 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'.

As a side note, was there ever a rumor that Warrants 'I Saw Red' was a reference to Axl?  (Sleeping with a girl he was seeing)  I listened to that song a while back & it almost seemed to tell the story?!

If I remember correctly, the record was "Uncle Tom's Cabin". The lead single was supposed to be the title track, "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Warrant turns it in, and the label refuses to release it saying "there's no hit singles on this, I need a hit single". Warrant respondes, "like what?", the label says, "I need something like Love In An Elevator" (which had just been released by Aerosmith and was a HUGE smash hit across all music, not just rock).

Jani, pissed off, gets drunk and writes "Cherry Pie". They record it, throw it on the album, suddenly the album is released and it's been re-titled "Cherry Pie" (not Uncle Tom's Cabin), the entire promo push is on "Cherry Pie", and Jani's horrible joke in his mind that was his revenge on the record company becomes his defining legacy.

"I could shoot myself in the fucking head for writing that song!" -- Jani Lane (and he didn't say it as a joke. He went from laughs, to DEADLY SERIOUS when he said it -- he fucking meant it)

And people wonder why he drank himself to death. Jani was one of the most underrated writers of that era of rock and his legacy was a fucking B-side from the Everly Brothers. Poor guy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Late posting here due to my absence from the site but wanted to express my sorrow at the loss of scott.

Normally I'm able to rationalise Celebrity deaths on the basis I didn't know them personally, but I did feel this passing.

Although scott often got a "he's not axl" from us GNR fans and I had my moments of that - especially when he caused the 2008 VR tour of Australia to go south - I was a significant VR fan and scotts work both in STP and VR means a lot to me.

It's very sad to think of his passing this young.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

To be honest, I had a reaction similar to Layne Staley's death in 2002...

I was shocked it wasn't sooner. hmm

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I was shocked it wasn't sooner. hmm

I dunno...when he was fired from VR I sort of expected it then - as I figured it was drugs that got him kicked - and then some reviews of the first STP reunion shows mentioned he seemed a bit under the influence....so I sort of expected it then.

That we got through that, and also the next STP break up, I guess I thought maybe he'd pull though.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Sad that he couldn't overcome his struggles with drugs. But 48 years old is a pretty good life for someone who lived on the edge like he did. I'm sure if you gave him the option of staying clean and living to 80, he would take it. But most of these guys are damn lucky to make it as far as they do given their situation. Whole country is slowly poisoning themselves with sugar and salt, but drugs are a quicker way to poison yourself.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Sugar & Salt hell, the Rx Drugs are killing us no different than Coke/Heroin and Scott. The media always villianizes Prescription Painkillers, but that is a drop in an ocean compared to the amount of people poisoning themselves and destroying their brains perminately who take Rx anti-depressants daily.

The numbers are... scary to say the least. NO drug is good for you. ANY of them. They are all a form of poison and body altering. It always amazes me when the evangelical-types who are terrified of using any form of body-altering surgery as some sort of Luciferian 666-tracking agenda, yet they take pills, which perminately alter & damage their bodies, daily, without even blinking.

Same thing. That's why I don't consider illicit drug use to be anything other than a legal term. For every Scott on Cocaine, there's somebody in the country dying younger than 48 from Liver Cancer using basic prescribed doses of Acetaminophen for 15-20 years or so.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

there's somebody in the country dying younger than 48 from Liver Cancer using basic prescribed doses of Acetaminophen for 15-20 years or so.

You could be describing my life in the early coming decade. 18 Years back I started cold water extracting any painkiller that contained it but doesn't change the fact that over the past 15 years,  enough Acetaminophen has went through my body to kill off the dinosaurs.

Most pill junkies think nothing of the crap other than the 'good' drug itself.  They don't realize the hidden danger. People die every day from accidental overdoses of that shit. A few years back one case I heard about was really sad. Some  girl was sick and had to stay home from school. She wanted to hurry and get better so took a mixture of different cold medicines. Technically they were all the same thing....acetaminophen. She was dead three days later from liver failure. There I was sitting pretty so to speak taking more than her each day yet the junkie gets to live while the person that didn't know any better dies.

It's a crime that the FDA refuses to take that poison off the market. There's nothing good about it. Your liver would actually prefer a dose of strychnine over that crap. It cant process it yet every store has caseloads of this shit and people buy it because they think its safe.

Speaking of sugar.....corn syrup is the real killer. I only drink the retro sodas now.  Corn syrup needs to be removed from the market as well. The massive rise in diabetes coincides with them placing corn syrup in every product. Not a coincidence. Get rid of it.  One of many reasons I want a president that wont be a whore for the corporations and will instead make them dance to his tune instead and honestly I don't care what he has to do to make them dance.

I used to take antidepressants. Not anymore. That is some weird shit. Those drugs should've been tested for many more years before just flooding the damn market with it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Sugar & Salt hell, the Rx Drugs are killing us no different than Coke/Heroin and Scott. The media always villianizes Prescription Painkillers, but that is a drop in an ocean compared to the amount of people poisoning themselves and destroying their brains perminately who take Rx anti-depressants daily.

The numbers are... scary to say the least. NO drug is good for you. ANY of them. They are all a form of poison and body altering. It always amazes me when the evangelical-types who are terrified of using any form of body-altering surgery as some sort of Luciferian 666-tracking agenda, yet they take pills, which perminately alter & damage their bodies, daily, without even blinking.

Same thing. That's why I don't consider illicit drug use to be anything other than a legal term. For every Scott on Cocaine, there's somebody in the country dying younger than 48 from Liver Cancer using basic prescribed doses of Acetaminophen for 15-20 years or so.

Yeah drugs in general are a bad deal. There is something to be said for living in the moment like Weiland did. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, never mind 30+ years down the road.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

there's somebody in the country dying younger than 48 from Liver Cancer using basic prescribed doses of Acetaminophen for 15-20 years or so.

Speaking of sugar.....corn syrup is the real killer. I only drink the retro sodas now.  Corn syrup needs to be removed from the market as well. The massive rise in diabetes coincides with them placing corn syrup in every product. Not a coincidence. Get rid of it.  One of many reasons I want a president that wont be a whore for the corporations and will instead make them dance to his tune instead and honestly I don't care what he has to do to make them dance.

Just to correct you -- HIGH FRUCTOSE Corn Syrup is the real killer. Corn Syrup, not so much. High Fructose Corn Syrup is Genetically Modified by the good folks at Monsanto (the same people who brought you Agent Orange). The HFCS is almost entirely synthetic and the body cannot process it. Worse than regular Corn or Corn Syrup. So much so, that the food you convert from the sugars from it, go directly into your artieries as well as other places and it can NEVER be burned off. You have it for life. It also makes you a TON more prone to getting Type 2-Diabetes. Alot of people have noticed when they consume organic Corn, how much easier than can digest it. But most supermarket corn is GMO.

And like you James -- me too. We've got a lot in common, haha. Too much maybe, lol.

I ONLY consume the retro drinks as well. The other day I actually tracked down some imported Mexican Coke. Hard to come by in FL. I bought a case of it, in the old school 12 oz. glass bottles. The thing that's great about Mexican Coke is that it (like all countries not called the USA), it is Coca-Cola with NO HFCS. None. It's made with just sugar. So it tastes AMAZING. Like having a "Coke Throwback", even though Coke doesn't manufacture them in the U.S. And in an old school, thick, ICE COLD glass bottle with the pop-top.

I'll take that over beer ANY DAY. I'm gonna have these on ICE, come that GN'R Coachella YouTube stream. And maybe something extra... haha.

I also drink Pepsi w/ Real Sugar (Throwback), Dr. Pepper Throwback, Mexican Sprite, and occasionally Mountain Dew Throwback. I LOVE Mountain Dew, but that Dew Throwback... just... ain't my thing. I grew up on the GMO HFCS version, and to me -- that's what Dew tastes like.

All of these sodas are poison, but... awhile back I cut ALL High Fructose Corn Syrup out of my diet, including these regular sodas. Of the sodas, I consumed nothing but "throwback" sodas with JUST sugar.

I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks just with that alteration, and tons of my arm abrasions cleared up. I looked healthier, and yet was still consuming sodas. All because I cut the HFCS sodas out of my life, as well as other processed foods that contained it.

Unreal -- it's poison folks.

Board footer