You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

Re: BST Hyde Park London Festival profile and rumours

AtomsNest wrote:

I agree, they should do their own shows, and create more hype and attraction around the band. Even if they do small gigs, it would be better. It'd create demand for the bigger shows. Plus so many people have seen that Ritz performance on youtube, and would pay out the nose for that kind of experience.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Also the mere act of Axl and Slash being on stage together cannot be underestimated.

Which is why it deserves to happen at a grander stage. People have talked about how this would a huge earth shaking event where they'd rule the world again for a brief while or at least be selling out stadiums.

This would be a complete waste. Most of the audience attending that would be there whether Gun's or there or not. It's not about winning over the crowd, it's about playing in front of your fans.

People seem to think a reunited Gun's could sell out dates at Wembley Stadium, then why would they blow their moment "load" on this kind of deal.

I'm not saying Gun's are comparable to the Beatles, but if this had the potential people believed, then it's be the equivalent of a reunited Beatles playing one of their first shows supporting Jay Z.

All good points. I also believe it could sell out Wembley and probably a few other stadiums over there.

I don't think they're going to do the festival circuit. Its why I don't believe it when I see them rumored for a ton of them. Coachella or Lolla make the most sense and if only doing one depending on when/if they're ready, Coachella is the most likely. You're right that the crowd would be there even with a different headliner but an event like Coachella is a huge spectacle and adding GNR to its history would be incredible and they would pay top dollar for it to happen. If you're GNR, do you really pass up that opportunity if you had plans to tour anyways but weren't sure where to play first?

I do know this....they need to come out of the gates strong. If they do Coachella, don't let there be a void of inactivity between that and lets say a summer or fall tour. Wasting the massive buzz this is going to get would be a colossal mistake. If there's any downtime between Coachella(or whatever) and a real tour, better fill that empty schedule with an album release of some kind, even if its a new GH.

I hope all parties involved were paying attention to Soundgarden's reunion because that's how you do it right. Another thing....when this gets underway its time to communicate with fans like other major acts do. This scooby doo shit needs to stop and they also don't need to focus on the forums.  Instead of Fernando dropping in to a forum once in a blue moon saying vague things and/or telling jokes, just update the official site/forum/social media with info. Treat the fan sites for what they are....fan sites. I always said their focus on forums was a mistake and that it came across like amateur hour. Merck started doing this and it was the wrong move IMO. Did you see Azoff and his associates updating nerds? No. He got things moving and when things he was doing became reality, it became news. Azoff made mistakes obviously but he at least knew what he was doing in this regard.  I know fans like to make jokes about Beta/Fernando but it could easily come across as more professional with just some slight changes.

I agree, they should do their own shows, and create more hype and attraction around the band. Even if they do small gigs, it would be better. It'd create demand for the bigger shows. Plus so many people have seen that Ritz performance on youtube, and would pay out the nose for that kind of experience.

Can you imagine the ticket prices for a show like the Ritz, especially once the scalper sites get a hold of them? 18

Good to see you back Atom.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

People seem to think a reunited Gun's could sell out dates at Wembley Stadium, then why would they blow their moment "load" on this kind of deal.

All good points. I also believe it could sell out Wembley and probably a few other stadiums over there.

In the past few years, Bruce Springsteen and AC/DC have attracted around 70-80K attendance at the Wembley Stadium. Axl, Slash and some other people as Guns could do the same, definitely. However, there are many factors involved. Tour routing, promotion, their ability to perform and to handle each other. Promoters may want them to prove themselves instead of taking the Led Zep route of a one-off.

It's one thing to be an armchair tour manager, and quite another to actually take the stage at a packed Wembley to deliver. In this day and age, it takes minutes for some smart alec in the crowd to start tweeting their discontent. Depending on how Red sees the big picture, the prospects of a meltdown may loom heavy in the air 19

James

James wrote:

That's true but a one off(like Coachella could be) is probably needed as a way to test the waters for this thing. Yes meltdowns loom and not just from Axl's side of the fence.  Doing Coachella instead of some random stadium show would put less pressure on them IMO. The fact we have so little information makes this stuff hard to gauge. Have they all hung out together at someones house shooting the shit, getting along, laughing about old times,etc. or has it mainly been handled through lawyers, agents,etc.? Some say it doesn't matter but it certainly matters. Each of those scenarios offers different states of mind and outlooks on the situation going in.

As far as promotion goes, the simple news of a reunion is promotion itself, at least in the beginning. Obviously a lot more will have to be done and that goes back to my point about dropping the Scooby Doo mystery act. It simply doesn't work on any level unless you're catering to 500 nerds spanning the sites and this needs to be catered to a mass audience, not the lunatic fringe. They already have the lunatic fringe on their side no matter what specific posts say,  so ignore them completely and market/push this thing like it means something.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the media. There's going to be a lot of questions about Axl and Slash's relationship. Questions about the issues surrounding the break-up. They'll have to get thoroughly de-briefed. I wonder if Axl and Slash will do an interview together. I'd like to see them on cbc's q show. I'm not a fan of Trunk, but they may feel more comfortable there.

James

James wrote:

Good points. During the CD era Axl avoided most mainstream outlets and instead seemed to like the softballs being thrown by Del and of course Trunk. He might have changed his tune by now though and he also wont have a Chinese elephant in the room. With Axl and Slash back together they might both inject humor when asked about the previous tension which would immediately take the pressure off.

I'd like to hear about a lot more details regarding certain things but this reunion has the potential to be huge and all of them can sidestep most if not all the issues and simply focus on touring/music. To use Soundgarden as an example again, they had tension over the years as well but once the reunion happened,  that stuff just wasn't brought up. The music did the talking and hardcore fans were too busy gobbling up new releases to even bother with any of it.

Axl and Slash doing Letterman would have been great. Same with Stern. A reunion has the potential to be something special but we missed out on certain things like that happening since it took this long.

Slash on Letterman promoting his book. Axl sitting there next to him when they're talking about that Axl story would have been killer...

edit: I just listened to that again. His attempts to "clear the air",  blame the media for most of the tension, and also take some of the responsibility for it is interesting.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I have asked a couple of UK newspapers to look into this for us.

AtariLegend wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I hope you didn't ask any tabloids tongue.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I hope you didn't ask any tabloids tongue.

Well, UK papers, bar the ones I contacted, have reported the GN'R logo and cinema stories, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this. Still a Bank Holiday today, so maybe later tomorrow.

Board footer