You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Bourne 5 coming out July 29, 2016

Smoking Guns wrote:

I cannot wait!  My favorite action trilogy ever. The one with remmer was okay.

http://www.slashfilm.com/bourne-5-story-details/

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Renner? Matt Damon is no longer part of it?

I watched the first two, or was it three? Wasn't a huge fan then, but looking back it was a breath of fresh air with all these super hero movies and girl power flicks. The blockbuster landscape is sooo depressing these days.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes. Matt Damon is coming back. Another Renner one to come out after Damon's. The original director too

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Umm, I thought Matt Damon was coming back to do Bourne 5, but I think Renner's character was going to be spun off into his own franchise. He wasn't going to be starring in anymore BOURNE films, unless it was to support Damon's character.

I thought they were overrated for years, then finally sat down and watched them and thought they had a nice espionage/action, modern day Bond thing. I'd actually rather watch a Bourne film, than a Bond film these days. It also ended up being a precursor for shows on TV, like CBS' JJ Abrams/Jonah Nolan-produced "Person of Interest".

It's been awhile since i've seen them, but I remember liking the first, loving the second, liking the third, and thinking the fourth with Renner was okay.

The franchise could definitely use the return of Damon, although to even remotely look like the bad ass CIA-op that he was, Damon's gonna have to get in shape. Last time I saw him, Damon was looking quite fat in Elysium, Intersteller & The Martian.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Damon will bring it no doubt. The first 3 set the stage for all modern action movies. Bond and Mission Impossible blatantly ripped off born as did many TV shows.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Even the "24" revival Season 9, "24: Live Another Day", brought back classic 24, but added a bit more of that Bourne, super-agent, foreign intrigue thing to it.

NBC's The Blacklist has a bit of Bourne to it as well.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

fuck yes!!!!!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Saw it last night!!! Fucking LOVED it!!! Plot as a "tad" weak. Still great. You just can't beat Bourne!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I remember watching the first one...maybe even the second. It was ok...like Mission Impossible(96) on steroids. Haven't watched it since.

I never liked Damon. The media shoved him and Affleck down our throats immediately and continuously until it stuck. I'm not a fan of that type of thing. No one has heard of these guys and then all of a sudden they're on the cover of every entertainment mag for a couple years straight. Piss off. I realize this happens with everyone to an extent but you know what I mean....in some cases it is forced....this is one of those examples.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I watched the first four in preparation for the new one (haven't seen it yet). Funny thing I noticed: the three sequels are set at the same time (literally, the events are happening simultaneously at points) yet the technology advances to match the real-world time difference between them. So the CIA guys are using 2004-vintage CRT monitors in The Bourne Supremacy, yet in The Bourne Legacy (set mere hours later) they're all using LCD flatscreens.

Anyway. The Renner one is perfectly adequate, but it's a bit of a misstep for the series. Because 1) Renner's personality is too amiable and jokey to fit with the super-serious CIA assassins of the previous films and 2) introducing genetically-engineered super-soldiers into the supposedly more-grounded-than-Bond spy series is a bit daft.

Oh, and 3) the escalation between films is ludicrous. Treadstone are the CIA's best and most dangerous agents. BUT WAIT there's also Blackbriar. BUT WAIT, Operation Outcome agents are even more dangerous, BUT WAIT there's also LARX, who are basically fucking Terminators.

Board footer