You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Guns N Roses Live at the Whiskey 88- Used to Love Her(minus Adler)

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Yes, but Axl and Slash have done almost nothing together without Izzy.    He may have been somewhat of a bridge.

BECAUSE THEY BROKE UP. Not because they can't write a song together.  See Civil War, Estranged, Coma, NR for example.

Izzy was still in the band at that point. The moment he bailed it was cover songs for three years and all fell apart during the 94 sessions without him....which led to the Chinese Democracy saga.

I don't think Izzy wanted to write CD style songs either. He was in the Slash camp on this.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Yes, but Axl and Slash have done almost nothing together without Izzy.    He may have been somewhat of a bridge.

BECAUSE THEY BROKE UP. Not because they can't write a song together.  See Civil War, Estranged, Coma, NR for example.

Izzy was still in the band at that point. The moment he bailed it was cover songs for three years and all fell apart during the 94 sessions without him....which led to the Chinese Democracy saga.

Hopefully this is where Richard comes in. You have to give 4tus some credit. He's the first guy since Izzy left in 1991, that has truly, or maybe more accurately, has potential to bridge the gap between Axl & Slash's tastes. Richard has Izzy/Slash/old GN'R-chops and Slash seems to have respect for Richard. Axl obviously likes Richard and Richard has been in GN'R since 2001. Slash liked Gilby, Axl saw Gilby as a touring guitarist, but not a writing partner. Axl saw Paul as a writing partner, Paul didn't want to tour, and Slash hated him.

Fast-forward to the present = Richard Fortus

Axl & Slash are going to HAVE TO MOVE PAST IZZY. The solution is NOT to bring Izzy in. It's just not going to happen. Izzy is too flaky. If GN'R has any hope of not being a nostalgia act, and still actually recording before they're all dead, Richard is the link.

Even if Izzy could be brought back in, he'd never write/perform an album's worth of material with them. Ever. That ship sailed years ago. People waiting for that, might as well get in line for the people waiting for Chris DeGarmo to rejoin Queensryche full-time, or Richie Blackmore to go back to Deep Purple.

It's just not happening. I hope Fortus can be the bridge that gets them to record, because relying on Izzy is why they haven't recorded an original LP in 25 goddamn years. Ugh.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If GN'R has any hope of not being a nostalgia act, and still actually recording before they're all dead, Richard is the link.

Izzy and Richard's discographies disagree with that statement.

relying on Izzy is why they haven't recorded an original LP in 25 goddamn years. Ugh.

His absence is a major reason for that void in their discography...not their reliance on him. Their reliance on him 85-91 is why they are still talked about to this day. Imagine in 1986 if they decide to not rely on him and ditch him. What's the track list for AFD in that alternate reality?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the tracklist for AFD without Izzy would've been much more straight-forward, and would've consisted of songs (some of the big ones we got), mixed with songs sounding like a cross between AC/DC & Accept.

Richard's lack of a solo career is curious. I'm not sure if there are contractual reasons as to why he doesn't record and release. If Ron can do it, why not Richard?

But then again, Tommy Stinson was seen as a rock God and the true secret weapon of that period, and Tommy has only like, what, 2 solo releases spanning 15 years?

Izzy might have alot of solo releases to his name, but Izzy, like Bucket, needs an Axl or a Slash or a Duff to reel him in and tighten some of his music up. Never, ever, listen to Izzy's albums one after the other. Why? Because they'll start to blend together after awhile, because all Izzy does is Izzy. Over and over, again and again. That first Ju Ju Hounds record is still my favorite because it featured Izzy doing what Izzy does best with the most "outside of the box" experimentation of any of his releases. I think he got a little streamlined later on, no different than Bucket.

So i'm on the fence with Izzy.

But at this point, it's time to move on if there's any hope for a future. Just because Slash & Duff come back to GN'R, doesn't mean they have to have Izzy to record a traditional GN'R album. If there are Richard tracks in the vault, and Richard knows how to write with Slash with that magical stuff like Izzy could just pick up on (keep in mind, Izzy has walked out on ALL THREE numerous times in the studio since 1991, and has consistently refused to join GN'R & VR both).

If not Richard. What about Dave Kushner? What if GN'R blew everyone's minds and put out their version of "King Animal" as a comeback with Axl, Slash & Duff, sans Izzy?

They have to find a way to pick up the pieces and move on from NEEDING Izzy to write.

James

James wrote:

You make some valid points but...

doesn't mean they have to have Izzy to record a traditional GN'R album.

He left in 1991. Its 2016. They have yet to record a traditional GNR album without him and VR didn't do it either.

What if GN'R blew everyone's minds and put out their version of "King Animal" as a comeback with Axl, Slash & Duff, sans Izzy?

You know I'm "all in" on a King Animal style comeback but here's a worrying thing about it being the 'Big 3' now.....it was the 'big 3' in 1994. When it came time to start writing new material, that is when problems immediately started and it was an avalanche of shit until they all bailed. What lit the fuse? No Izzy replacement. Huge didn't work(Slash didn't want him), Gilby didn't work(Axl didn't want him) and by the time Finck enters the mix, Slash had already left town.

That leads to 1996-2014.

They are back together again, about to embark on a major tour, and touring may be fine and dandy but once in a studio trying to whip up brand new tracks, it starts looking like 1994 from a fan perspective.

Yeah I know Axl has/had good songs. So do Slash and Duff solo and in VR. Having said that, we have never seen a GNR song released with those three involved but with Izzy absent and Stones covers don't count.

This is an interesting situation to say the least.

One thing that might make it different this time isn't just age but the fact  Duff and Slash are not junkies this time around.

johndivney wrote:

One thing that might not make it different this time is Axl.

I'm going around raining on everyone's parade haha!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You make some valid points but...

doesn't mean they have to have Izzy to record a traditional GN'R album.

He left in 1991. Its 2016. They have yet to record a traditional GNR album without him and VR didn't do it either.

What if GN'R blew everyone's minds and put out their version of "King Animal" as a comeback with Axl, Slash & Duff, sans Izzy?

You know I'm "all in" on a King Animal style comeback but here's a worrying thing about it being the 'Big 3' now.....it was the 'big 3' in 1994. When it came time to start writing new material, that is when problems immediately started and it was an avalanche of shit until they all bailed. What lit the fuse? No Izzy replacement. Huge didn't work(Slash didn't want him), Gilby didn't work(Axl didn't want him) and by the time Finck enters the mix, Slash had already left town.

That leads to 1996-2014.

They are back together again, about to embark on a major tour, and touring may be fine and dandy but once in a studio trying to whip up brand new tracks, it starts looking like 1994 from a fan perspective.

Yeah I know Axl has/had good songs. So do Slash and Duff solo and in VR. Having said that, we have never seen a GNR song released with those three involved but with Izzy absent and Stones covers don't count.

This is an interesting situation to say the least.

One thing that might make it different this time isn't just age but the fact  Duff and Slash are not junkies this time around.

Slash has recorded numerous songs, some of them good, believe it or not. Without Izzy.

It's more of a matter of finding a guy AXL can relate to (Richard, more than Dave), that Slash can get down with, and suddenly we've got a horse race. GN'R is back.

Slash can bring in TONS of guitarists he's worked with over the years, some he loves to write with... if Axl ain't down with it, it ain't happening. Izzy ain't coming, so it's gotta be Richard.

In fairness, Richard wasn't in the picture in 1994. So we have no fuckin' clue what would've happened had he been there.

I still think it would MAJORLY help Axl is he would open his mind and be willing to work with other writers. I know everybody freaks the fuck out with other writers brought in, but in fairness it wouldn't hurt to bring in a Bob Ezrin or Bob Rock or Rick Rubin or Desmond Child (ducks flying Jack bottle)

I'd like to get one more album out of Axl before he fucking dies, and that was BEFORE Slash rejoined the band.

James

James wrote:

I know everybody freaks the fuck out with other writers brought in, but in fairness it wouldn't hurt to bring in a Bob Ezrin or Bob Rock or Rick Rubin or Desmond Child (ducks flying Jack bottle)

I've suggested this for years too and people want me thrown into an insane asylum every time I say it. 16

It doesn't mean Axl cant write any songs. Obviously he can but the past 20 years shows that he does it in very active short spurts, goes quiet, tours, goes quiet, repeat cycle. He also has obstacles placed in his path by his own record label.

I think he needs motivation on top of the right chemistry and if there is still some obstacles, yes bring in someone else to collaborate.

Do NOT bring in Ezrin. He pretty much cursed the project with that three songs evaluation.

I'd like to get one more album out of Axl before he fucking dies, and that was BEFORE Slash rejoined the band.

Agreed. I'd like 2 or 3 though. He is simply too talented to have such a small discography.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

How did Ezrin curse CD?

Bob was right. There were NO FUCKING SINGLES! Nothing to push it. At all. Thus the bomb.

And keep in mind, the version of the album Ezrin heard DID NOT have Better on it. Chinese sounded more like Oh My God, and TWAT was a fucking mess.

Ezrin was right. When those 2000 demos leaked, I realized Axl wasn't the genius I always thought he was. To think, the insiders said Axl thought that version of the album was finished.... wow.... fucking wow.

Taime Downe of Faster Pussycat called... "hey Axl, it could use a few more bars here n' there"

Board footer