You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Alice In Chains as Opening Act in Vegas?

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I didn't mean stoner rock as an insult. I was just meaning things like "Check My Brain" - great song - sort of heavy but in a slow way.

Yeah, I didn't take it as an insulting reference. I just never thought of them like that. Definitely some sludgy stoner vibes in that track!

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I think Baz was fine for nu-GNR, but reunited Guns definitely deserves something better. I didn't think people were serious when talking about reunited Skid Row opening for GN'R.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Rex wrote:

I think Baz was fine for nu-GNR, but reunited Guns definitely deserves something better. I didn't think people were serious when talking about reunited Skid Row opening for GN'R.

This got started because TNT's Tony Harnell, who was Skid Row's most recent singer, recently announced he was no longer in Skid Row. TNT has basically been in a holding pattern since early 2015, because Harnell left them without a lead vocalist. So I think three different fanbases all saw the rock God's aligning everything. TNT had an open vocalist position for Harnell to return to TNT. GN'R had reunited old school Guns N' Roses, and Skid Row was now without a vocalist. Why not call Baz? If GN'R can reunite, surely Skid Row could, plus the added benefit of it'd be a HUGE score for Skid Row to open a gig as big as GN'R.

The reality is...

Harnell is NOT back in TNT
Baz is NOT back in Skid Row
And this is NOT a GN'R reunion (Slash simply joined the nuGNR band from 2014, thus creating another lineup, really)

It was three different fanbases all making ALOT of assumptions at the exact same time.

Cool for all three if it would've worked out tho. Sadly it didn't.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I was freaking out at this announcement. Friends heard and actually called me because my house is drenched in GN'R & AIC stuff.

They were like "you've gotta go, this is the perfect ticket for you"

Yes, but I can't make it. Still, this was a pretty fucking cool score of them for Vegas. AIC is the perfect band for not only these warm-up gigs but for a future tour as well.

It's not everyday your two favorite bands to ever exist get on the exact same ticket. I really really hope AIC/GN'R branch this out to a full NA tour. It would be a dream come true for me.

I think I might collapse if I hear Nutshell & Estranged in the same show.

FlashFlood wrote:

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so!

Yes, perfect fit. The ties are strong. Duff with the Seattle guys, Mike Inez on Snakepit...older major act but not an 80s band.

You're also forgetting Axl was a HUGE fan of Chains before they hit big. He was trying to dig people into Bleach, Facelift, Louder Than Love & Apple before grunge ever even hit it big.

I want to say years later in an RS interview he named dropped AIC & PJ as being personal faves. He was a huge Soundgarden/Cornell fan way back in the Loder interviews, and before Kurt was a complete dick to him for no reason, wore Nirvana hats & shirts everywhere.

johndivney wrote:

It's a reunion mate. I'd have thought you'd have more sense than that..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He was trying to dig people into  Louder Than Love

He was a huge Soundgarden/Cornell fan way back

I'll admit he got me curious about the existence of Soundgarden when he raved on them and said "Chris Cornell buries me"...and you're right...he was saying this two years before Badmotorfinger came out. He was also raving on NIN before anyone gave even the tiniest of shits about them.

Funny how some grunge bands shit on him when he was essentially giving them free promo two years before they all exploded on the scene.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I never got it. I never got it to this day. Faith No More was another one him and Duff were big on.

I just think the grunge scene came from the very liberal scene up in Seattle and that, let's be honest, One In A Million attracted alot of the WRONG fans to Axl Rose (thus the confrontation in St. Louis with the white biker gang), and those Seattle guys wanted NOTHING to do with him, or his association to them.

The media played a big part in it too, playing up Axl's lyrics and GN'R in general that they were misogynistic towards women, their videos were banned, and this was in the 80's when Political Correctness was born, then died out, and obviously in the last few years has made a ROARING gaytacular return.

Even in grunge documentaries, most of the members of bands like The Melvins, Mudhoney, Green River, some of the lesser knowns from that scene will tell you how much the entire LA glam scene was a complete turn off to them. To them it played to the lowest common denominator, and GN'R played into that scene with Axl's (and a I fucking love him for it) unapologetic PRO-MALE approach to life in his lyrics. He wasn't fuckin' Coldplay, that's for goddamn sure.

Everything was being labeled, and Axl got lost in that label. Axl's immaturity in defining his stance, his on-stage displays of what seemed like childishness, and complete angry defiance just made him an EASY target for the media.

Further burying him with the Seattle guys.

Ironically the only band that never joined in on kicking them was -- Alice In Chains. Layne never publicly derided Axl (despite the fact the rest of the Seattle frontmen did), and Jerry & Sean have always been very complimentary to GN'R, saying they were a big influence on them, so much to a point their original name was "Alice N' Chainz", and Jerry & Sean also have gone in-depth explaining how they felt GN'R kicked in the door for grunge's success, feeling that they and alot of the Sub Pop bands would've never even gotten consideration in the mainstream of GN'R hadn't blazed that trail. But the rest of the LA bands were basically a joke to all of them.

I think Jerry & Sean have also alluded to that even when GN'R became the band to hate in Seattle, that behind close doors everyone were big fans and thought they were the best around at the time. Cornell has alluded to this as well. They all were happy for Duff, and thought Axl, Slash & Izzy were one-of-a-kind players.

Ironic they are the ones to get the call. Hopefully this goes really well and leads to some collaborations.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I want to say years later in an RS interview he named dropped AIC & PJ as being personal faves. He was a huge Soundgarden/Cornell fan way back in the Loder interviews, and before Kurt was a complete dick to him for no reason, wore Nirvana hats & shirts everywhere.

I remember an interview from that time. Nirvana was sitting there like a bunch of small hipsters and talking shit about Axl. They recounted a story about Kurt making fun of Axl, then acting all surprised when he got pissed at them. They all came off like entitled children who thought they had the moral superiority to tear down everything.

Made me realize why rock died. It got depressing and destructive. In my opinion the grunge area isn't even rock, it is post rock. The genre taken to its final conclusion. After that it was a wasteland. The nu metal and emo bands that came after that were the death cramps.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

how they felt GN'R kicked in the door for grunge's success, feeling that they and alot of the Sub Pop bands would've never even gotten consideration in the mainstream of GN'R hadn't blazed that trail. B

Absolutely. Guns N Roses(AFD specifically) is the bridge between the hair-pop metal of the mid-late 80s to the grunge explosion immediately after it. Take away that bridge, those grunge bands  never leave Seattle clubs. The content of AFD and the Beatles like mania surrounding it unintentionally prepared the public for what was coming next and made them accepting of it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I remember an interview from that time. Nirvana was sitting there like a bunch of small hipsters and talking shit about Axl. They recounted a story about Kurt making fun of Axl, then acting all surprised when he got pissed at them. They all came off like entitled children who thought they had the moral superiority to tear down everything.

Made me realize why rock died. It got depressing and destructive. In my opinion the grunge area isn't even rock, it is post rock. The genre taken to its final conclusion. After that it was a wasteland. The nu metal and emo bands that came after that were the death cramps.

I wouldn't say grunge was post-rock or inferior, but yes I do agree they finished rock to it's logical conclusion. To me industrial rock was an off-shoot of metal, and Ministry had been around for years at that point, so White Zombie & NIN weren't treading new ground.

Grunge's legit place in rock will always be in it's early years, like Sub Pop, before it exploded in popularity. Alot of Bleach is noise rock, certainly Soundgarden's first two, Ultramega OK is a fucking masterpiece, definitely The Melvins & Mudhoney during that period... but even by the time Facelift & Apple came out in 1990, both of those records by AIC & Mother Love Bone were VERY polished.

That last EP that White Zombie put out in 1989 was their last gasp as well. Throw Metallica and Injustice on that list as well.

By 1990 the funeral had started. By 1992, it was dead.

P.S.

I agree. The band members of Nirvana & Pearl Jam seemed VERY obsessed with "being cool" to the MTV audience. Way more than GN'R ever was. AIC, SG, and especially the industrial rock outfits couldn't give a flying fuck. God bless 'em.

Board footer