You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Why did Axl drop Bucket's Shackler's solo for Ron to just duplicate it?

Curious about this - is there a leak with Bucket I forget? I thought Ron did his own thing there.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

misterID wrote:

And I'm glad the slimy little slash rip off, hair metal, generic motley crue , hot topic shopping, Steve Stevens fuckhead is gone.

TRUTH!

Dude this is how I felt once Robin left and he was replaced by this subpar hack.

People want to shit on Robin, but, that guy has talent and guess what? He is all over CD.

I could not take the band serious, or their direction after hiring DJ.

The stage presence was terrible.

I was always a big fan of Axl's vision of the band. By hiring DJ, he was shitting on that.

Robin Finck and Buckethead were such crucial parts to post Guns.

Losing Buckethead hurt, Finck was the last straw.

Now I am back because wow. Who could have thought?

Slash and Duff would be back.

I mean in my ideal world Robin would be rhythm but whatever.

I like Fortus he has been a good soldier.

They should have just had him go to lead when Robin left, and not add a complete misfit and someone that was contrary to Axl's vision of a more industrial sounding rock.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 328 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

Smoking Guns wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I'm glad the slimy little slash rip off, hair metal, generic motley crue , hot topic shopping, Steve Stevens fuckhead is gone.

TRUTH!

Dude this is how I felt once Robin left and he was replaced by this subpar hack.

People want to shit on Robin, but, that guy has talent and guess what? He is all over CD.

I could not take the band serious, or their direction after hiring DJ.

The stage presence was terrible.

I was always a big fan of Axl's vision of the band. By hiring DJ, he was shitting on that.

Robin Finck and Buckethead were such crucial parts to post Guns.

Losing Buckethead hurt, Finck was the last straw.

Now I am back because wow. Who could have thought?

Slash and Duff would be back.

I mean in my ideal world Robin would be rhythm but whatever.

I like Fortus he has been a good soldier.

They should have just had him go to lead when Robin left, and not add a complete misfit and someone that was contrary to Axl's vision of a more industrial sounding rock.

I agree about Fortus. Should have just been him and Bumble.

bigbri
 Rep: 336 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Why did Axl drop Bucket's Shackler's solo for Ron to just duplicate it?

Curious about this - is there a leak with Bucket I forget? I thought Ron did his own thing there.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but he'll no that's a Bucket ripoff solo. That kind of playing is all over Buckethead's Island of Lost Minds. I remember when it leaked y'all we're asking me if I thought it was Bucket. I thought it sounded like him but would not say it was definitely him. It just sounded off.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Why did Axl drop Bucket's Shackler's solo for Ron to just duplicate it?

Curious about this - is there a leak with Bucket I forget? I thought Ron did his own thing there.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but he'll no that's a Bucket ripoff solo. That kind of playing is all over Buckethead's Island of Lost Minds. I remember when it leaked y'all we're asking me if I thought it was Bucket. I thought it sounded like him but would not say it was definitely him. It just sounded off.

To me that's not conclusive of anything though, the whole reason Ron was hired was because he is a similar player to Buckethead.

That he would record a solo that is context-sensitive to the Buckethead rhythm riffs, and consistent with the general feel of Bucket's solos across the album suggests that he chose to play in the right style for the music, not that he was necessarily following a pre-existing solo or melody idea there.

It could be either way - his solo in Catcher is clearly influenced by the Brian May version, while his Riad solo is pretty different from Bucket's version.

If it sounds like an off-buckethead that only shows he was going for a style, otherwise one could say that Buckethead's solo in "Sorry" sounds like an off-slash - but to me that means he was aiming for a slash type sound not necessarily duplicating a pre-existing Slash solo.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Curious about this - is there a leak with Bucket I forget? I thought Ron did his own thing there.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but he'll no that's a Bucket ripoff solo. That kind of playing is all over Buckethead's Island of Lost Minds. I remember when it leaked y'all we're asking me if I thought it was Bucket. I thought it sounded like him but would not say it was definitely him. It just sounded off.

To me that's not conclusive of anything though, the whole reason Ron was hired was because he is a similar player to Buckethead.


Just to clear things up... Bucket wrote the solo in Shackler's. He's credited as such. Can't remember the interview, but Ron was asked specifically about it in a few places, and I distinctly remember him saying he just duplicated what was already there, and his solo is what made the final studio version.

If you go back to the Rock Band mogg file leaks, Bucket's original solo was extended longer than Ron's, Axl (or Caram or whoever) clipped it, and used Ron's main guitar solo, but the outro solo (which is better) is all Bucket.


Which always made me scratch my head to baldness. If you've got a Bucket/Brain track... written by Brian & Brian... why the fuck would you even bother messing with it?

The guitar solo IS NOT in the style of Bumblefoot. Not in the least. It is ALL Bucket-style. It sounds like Bucket, but with Ron covering him. Ron said at another time, he performed it live "as true to the original" if I remember correctly.

He wasn't referring his studio take. He was talking about the one "Carroll" got credit for on the album.

When the song leaked way back pre-release of Rock Band 2, even then 99% of GN'R fans were convinced it was all Bucket. It was the diehard Bucket fans that called it being an imposter, because they felt the tone was off.


And btw Monkey, to my knowledge, sadly, none of this Bucket stuff ever leaked. But supposed, rumor has it, there was an entire complete  album with Bucket guitar work and solos with Richard on rhythm done, when Robin bailed and Axl thought he was staying gone with NIN.

In other words, there's somewhere in the vault, a Bucket take on every track on Chinese, including the original Shackler's, This I Love, Madagascar (which did leak with the Rock Band moggs), and extended part on Prostitute, etc.



It still boggles my mind.


You've got Buckethead. In his fucking prime. And you let Robin & Bumblefoot shit all over the album, just so everyone is fair. I don't get it. I probably never will.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I have mixed views on DJ.

When DJ joined at first I thought it was positive that he stuck closer to the source material than Robin - I know you guys characterise it as Robin putting his own character into the songs - but to me it felt about as appropriate as it would be for Myles Kennedy to put his own spin on Brownstone by adding a new verse. That's just not how the songs go.

However DJ kinda took it too far - as it times it felt to me like his stage act was actually mimicking slash to an unnatural degree....it made the band seem inauthentic.

That said the hate for him is way out of line. He's a nice guy - and he can't help that he isn't slash - also the problems with his act were not entirely his own fault - his solo spots showed some talent - and I can't help but think if Axl had written some songs with him - if the band was still properly functional by that stage that it would have been easier to watch. Poor guy wasn't given a chance to do anything but mimic robin and slash and then he's hated for that.

It's wonderful to have slash back, but DJ in himself is ok with me.

I would have liked to see Motley Crue continue and DJ replace Mick Mars when his health forbids further playing, that would have been a better match than GNR all along.


Congratulations... you'll get your wish.


Rumor has it, this Motley Crue thing retiring, is nothing more than an extended formality.

Nikki is going to take off and do Sixx:AM for awhile and ride that out. When it peaks and goes down, allegedly the plan is to either reunite Crue, or 'rename' Crue to something else, based around Nikki & Tommy up front, and new lead guitarist and lead vocalist.

My best guess is DJ Ashba (and rightfully so tbph) gets Mick's old job.

As for Vince's job... one of these smaller Crue off-shoots like Last Vegas or Million Dollar Reload gets the gig. Some have suggested the dude from Buckcherry up front.


Either way... Crue ain't done. But Vince & Mick... they're gone forever. They've played their final show with Crue.

misterID
 Rep: 460 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

misterID wrote:

I tried listening to DJ, from his solo stuff to Sixx AM, just to see if there was any hidden potential there for something cool, and it all sucked ass. All of it. Generic, polished, plastic, void of originality, playing. That was the lowest point for me as a GNR fan. It doesn't surprise me he fit with Nikki Sixx.

I also felt the same about Ron's solo stuff. He had talent, but his style was a lot of wankery. Like a poor man's Steve Vai doused in a preteens obsession with Primus.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I tried listening to DJ, from his solo stuff to Sixx AM, just to see if there was any hidden potential there for something cool, and it all sucked ass. All of it. Generic, polished, plastic, void of originality, playing. That was the lowest point for me as a GNR fan. It doesn't surprise me he fit with Nikki Sixx.

I have... frankly never... heard DJ suck ass. I've heard every GN'R guitarist, and the three exceptions... Slash, Bucket & DJ... have all had low moments, and some tracks that just didn't cut it... but i've never heard ANY of the three -- suck.


So I disagree there. Strongly.

BUT

I think you do bring up some interesting points. DJ has been associated with Motley Crue since the early 2000's, and has co-written quite a bit of their various projects. He's also been around for producing work.

If you don't like Crue.

You won't like DJ.

If you don't like Brides of Destruction.

You won't like DJ.

If you don't like Sixx:AM.

Well...


So I think it all just depends on what you search for out of a guitarist. I always thought Mick Mars was the most talented member of Crue, but yet as a guitarist, I always felt he used WAY too much whammy bar, and didn't have the muster to pull of tracks that Slash of GN'R, CC DeVille of Poison, or Reb Beach or Kip Winger of Winger, or John Sykes or Adrian Vandenberg or Doug Aldrich of Whitesnake, would've been able to play note-for-note, as a technical virtuoso.

I do agree with DJ's stuff being polished, but when I listen to Sixx:AM, DJ is actually the only part of it that actually stands out to me. To me it's Michael & Nikki who are "kind of stock" to quote Lars Ulrich.

But I will say again... DJ comes from the school of Ace Frehley, Mick Mars, Robbin Crosby (Ratt), Mick Sweda (BulletBoys & King Kobra), and yes... Steve Stevens.

DJ plays that kind of material, but through a modern day rock filter. I would actually go so far to say, DJ Ashba is actually the modern day legacy of the sleaze rock/metal guitarist.

Some people are proud that he's the only guy around that carries that torch. And then there's... you. lol


misterID wrote:

I also felt the same about Ron's solo stuff. He had talent, but his style was a lot of wankery. Like a poor man's Steve Vai doused in a preteens obsession with Primus


I'm gonna give you a karma for this. This might be the more precise, accurate, spot on description of Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, and why, as hard as I tried, never, ever liked his playing or solo material.

Nailed it here ID.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 328 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

Smoking Guns wrote:

DJ has some skills like for new metal shit. But not for classic rock Slash style shit. DJ also can hide behind a very processed sound and some wah and whammy abuse. He is like a poor man Kirk Hammet.

As far as pure players go, I would take Lonnie Paul or Jacob Bunton in a guitar shoot out over DJ or Fortus. Fortus is marginally better than DJ. They both pose the fuck out of their guitar playing. Fortus is like a guitar teacher. He can play anything, any style, but name one signature riff or lick he has written. DJ at least has written some cool catchy songs. The biggest Dead Dasies song features Slash on guitar if that tells you anything lol. I think Fortus is a better player DJ is a better writer neither are anywhere close to the total package of Slash

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB