You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Speculation: GN'R Classics Re-Record in the future?

Axlin16 wrote:

Strictly speculation...

There have been so so so many complaints of the songs this tour being performed too quickly, but all of it seems to be with purpose. Slash & Duff are back in the band, with their say, and Slash & Duff have already re-worked their bits to the Chinese tracks being performed, as well as brushing up on the songs they haven't performed with GN'R since 1993, such as NR, Estranged, Coma, etc.

With a potential GN'R Best of possibly coming, and with the Chinese songs re-worked, the band seems like they've re-worked, and reheased and rehearsed the classics as well.

They seem to all be on the same page.

The songs seem fresher, more spry, and move with a bit more urgency. But not in a bad way. Just a different spirit.

Could THIS band be ramping up for a potential re-record release? Possibly, if just, internationally? Or part of a new album set?

They seem to have put A-LOT of work into these songs, so much to the point, that they are reinvented (good or bad), and are NOT being performed like they were in 1987-1993, and the band, as a unit, seem to have NO intention on changing it back.

Would seem a waste to go through all that work and reheasing, not to get it down on tape (old me), whether it be new studio re-records, or a potential live release of this tour.

Thoughts on a re-branding of GN'R with Axl, Slash, Richard, Duff, Frank, Dizzy & Melissa in-studio?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Nah, I can't see them doing that. Even the much-vaunted 1999 re-recorded AFD was really just a "rehearsal recording," IIRC. If anything's being re-recorded it'll be the Chinese Democracy tracks (and even then I'd expect the originals to feature on any Best Of collection alongside the re-recorded bonus tracks).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think they're playing them faster mostly to fit more songs in the set, and/or, because there's probably a degree of boredom in playing sweet child for the 1750 th time.

Other changes to me stem from the fact that frank doesn't have the UYI chemistry with the band, melissa is playing an unplugged etcha-sketch, fortus plays parts with a lot more technical flaire than gilby or izzy, and slash's style has evolved to be more shreddy than it was back in the day.   So it winds up sounding a little different.

As for re-records:

1. On one hand it would be utter sacrilege as it's a classic album. On the other hand - as I've got older you notice all the things we're used to in the live set just don't exist in recorded form. If there was never another live show - you can't hear the "do you know where you are" or the "with her ass in the air" or the "home fuck" type stuff again. Sometimes I wish the studio cuts did have those features. But let's face it - re-recording them would open the flood gates to whatever odd changes they came up with. Layers of synth. different guitars. Think about that "big daddy" sweet child of mine - it should be illegal to alter an all time iconic guitar part like that. Vocals could be even scarier. Maybe axl fills them full of incredbile rasp and screams - or maybe he makes it mickey. Scary stuff.

2. To play devils advocate - if they were to do this it would make sense to form a label - and run these new versions in opposition to the original versions. Especially as there's never been a remaster of decent anniversary edition or anything. Would be better from a business perspective.

3. In reality I think if they re-boot anything it would be the chinese songs. As we alreafy know they did a remix album once - and they also had the DJ/Bumble type alternate versions comming out years on from the original. The sickness with these songs is never over lol. But yeah - a slash/duff version of CD is actually more logical - as it would make it fit back into the cannon nicer than it does as Axl and friends. Additionally most people find the slash versions of the CD tracks live more compelling and the original album underpeformed,  So there's a solid creative basis for tampering with it.

Although at this stage the next logical step would be CD2 - Axl has most of it done after all - and then add in Slash.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I never expected that re-recorded AFD to be released. I know some fans consider it the holy grail but I can easily live without it. Had Bucket been involved in that I might want to hear the studio version of early CD era Nightrain but it was recorded before he entered the picture so my interest in it is less than zero. I actually wish Axl had never brought it up. Only thing interesting about it was its updated track list but this means almost nothing since there were no intentions of actually releasing it.

The comment held as much weight as him claiming at the same time that OIAM and LAYGG would be removed from all future pressings of Lies and TSI. Wasn't happening.

With a potential GN'R Best of possibly coming, and with the Chinese songs re-worked, the band seems like they've re-worked, and reheased and rehearsed the classics as well.

They seem to all be on the same page.

The songs seem fresher, more spry, and move with a bit more urgency. But not in a bad way. Just a different spirit.

Could THIS band be ramping up for a potential re-record release? Possibly, if just, internationally? Or part of a new album set?

They seem to have put A-LOT of work into these songs, so much to the point, that they are reinvented (good or bad), and are NOT being performed like they were in 1987-1993, and the band, as a unit, seem to have NO intention on changing it back.

Would seem a waste to go through all that work and reheasing, not to get it down on tape (old me), whether it be new studio re-records, or a potential live release of this tour.

INteresting. While I have doubts they would go such a route, it's definitely not unprecedented.....many bands/artists have re-recorded their old material for a variety of reasons......many doing so for a compilation.

IMO the most likely scenario if going this route would be the CD songs that may or may not be on a GH2/Best of. In that scenario you would have the classic songs with CD material recorded by the current lineup.....it cuts all CD members out of the loop completely unless they have songwriting credits for the specific songs used.

For the sake of this discussion let's say they release their Telephantasm and these CD songs are included....

CD (Axl, Josh Freese)
Better (Axl, Finck)
TIL (Axl)

Every single member of the CD era besides Finck and Freese will get no royalties and other than their name in the fine print, people buying it wouldn't even know about the history of the tracks or who initially played on the tracks.

The same can be done for CDII even if they decide to leave certain members on the tracks.

While I would love for them to tackle CDII and other material, I would definitely buy a compilation of various hits/deep cuts rerecorded. An updated version of DTJ with Axl singing, this band recording the music, and include the extended jam before the song kicks in would be off the hook.

Board footer