You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: Possible terror attack in Germany - at least 8 killed

Yamcha wrote:

3 shooters, reportedly clad in black
8 victims

At least eight killed in Munich shooting

Claire Jones and James Shotter in Frankfurt and Cardiff Garcia in Munich

Munich was in lockdown on Friday night after at least eight people were killed and many others injured in a shooting that started outside a shopping centre in the Bavarian capital on Friday evening.

A large police operation was under way after shots were fired at the Olympia shopping centre, about 10km north of the city centre.

Police initially described the attack as an “acute terrorist situation”. There was little information on the identity of the assailants but police said there were no indications as yet that the incident had anything to do with Islamist terrorism.

When asked if it was an Islamist attack, Peter Altmaier, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s chief of staff, said: “There is no clarity and no certainty so far about that [but] we will investigate this option.”

Later, police said they had found the body of a male about 1km from the shopping centre and were investigating whether he was one of the attackers.

Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Germany’s foreign minister, wrote on Facebook: “My thoughts are with the victims and their families as well as with the brave police forces and rescue workers”.

“The motives for this abhorrent act have not yet been completely clarified — we still have contradictory clues,” Mr Steinmeier said.

Earlier, Thomas Baumann, a spokesman for Munich police, said shots had been fired at a McDonald's in the vicinity of the shopping centre at 17.52 local time.

He confirmed that three gunmen were involved in the shooting and that they were still at large, with reports suggesting the attackers had fled into the shopping centre.

Munich central railway station was evacuated and rail, underground and bus services suspended.

The Munich police used Twitter and Facebook to urge residents to stay indoors and avoid public places.

At the Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckel in the Altstadt, a café in the city centre, diners were ordered inside and the doors locked behind them.

After shepherding people upstairs, the lights were turned off as a precaution. For about half an hour people could be seen running and walking past the café but eventually the streets emptied.

A police officer later entered the café, confirmed there was an operation under way and requested people to stay where they were. “It’s safe here,” he said.

By the café near the old town’s Frauenkirche cathedral, people were seen roaming the streets again by 21:00 local time.

Horst Seehofer, the Bavarian prime minister, rushed back to Munich from his home in Ingolstadt to attend emergency meetings.

Speaking from the White House, US President Barack Obama said: “We don’t yet know exactly what is happening there but obviously our hearts go out to those who may have been injured. It is still an active situation and Germany is one of our closest allies and we are going to pledge all the support that they may need in dealing with these circumstances.”

Boris Johnson, Britain’s foreign secretary, said he was “shocked and appalled by the terrible attack unfolding this evening in Munich, and the loss of life”.

“We stand ready to assist our friends in Germany. Our travel advice to UK nationals in the area tonight is to stay indoors and follow the advice of the local authorities.”

Security services across Europe have been on high alert after a string of terrorist attacks in public spaces over the past 18 months.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0842d92a-502e … z4FB36rE00

The incident in Munich comes four days after a 17-year-old Afghan refugee attacked passengers on a train near the Bavarian town of Würzburg with an axe and a knife. He wounded five people before being shot dead by police.

Isis claimed responsibility for the attack and a video was later released showing the youth threatening to kill “infidels” and brandishing a knife. Authorities said, however, that initial investigations suggested he had no connection to jihadist networks.

German authorities have also been contending in recent months with a sharp rise in violence from far-right groups, apparently unhappy with the recent surge in immigration from the Middle East.

The Munich attack coincides with the fifth anniversary of a mass shooting in Norway by rightwing extremist Anders Breivik.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0842d92a-502e … z4FB1PXHee

Enough is enough. 4

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Enough is enough. 4

Absolutely. Now shopping centers are being targeted. Imagine this on a much larger scale.

Everyone says enough is enough and the world is outraged after each attack. Then things go back to normal until the next one.

I think I brought this up in another thread before I took that last cipro cycle so maybe it was answered but how far is the West willing to go to actually put a stop to this? Arm the "rebels"? pin prick strikes?

We've done those things. Lets exclude the US briefly.....what can the EU do to bring an end to this or at least lower the risk of such attacks taking place?

johndivney wrote:

Launch another Crusade. Wipe them off the planet.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

So turns out he was a German native who had an obsessions with shootings and no religious motivation.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

So turns out he was a German native who had an obsessions with shootings and no religious motivation.

And Iranian German. Was he Muslim or Christian?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

And Iranian German. Was he Muslim or Christian?

Don't worry, soon they'll be calling the refugees natives too. At what point will the masses be fed up with the liberal utopia narrative and realize brining in scorpions to play among children is unacceptable.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

So he read a lot of books about school shootings and looked up to the white supremacist dude that killed 77 people in Norway. Sounds like he just wanted to kill... But I find it very odd how they keep talking about a far right extremist, yet they leave his faith out of it. Had I not seen a pic of him I would imagine a white dude. But to only call him a right winger that hates immigrants then see he is the product of immigrants and they leave his religion out is odd. So it is okay to implicate crazy whites, but let's not mention his religion.

Now Germany may tighten gun laws, EVEN MORE. Gun laws don't work that great. People that want to get guns to kill will.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

So he read a lot of books about school shootings and looked up to the white supremacist dude that killed 77 people in Norway. Sounds like he just wanted to kill... But I find it very odd how they keep talking about a far right extremist, yet they leave his faith out of it. Had I not seen a pic of him I would imagine a white dude. But to only call him a right winger that hates immigrants then see he is the product of immigrants and they leave his religion out is odd. So it is okay to implicate crazy whites, but let's not mention his religion.

Now Germany may tighten gun laws, EVEN MORE. Gun laws don't work that great. People that want to get guns to kill will.

Merkel is in a tough spot with the refugee crisis, if it ends up being an Islamic terrorist it's not going to be pretty.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Merkel is in a tough spot with the refugee crisis, if it ends up being an Islamic terrorist it's not going to be pretty.

I am not trying to judge, but what are the odds that they pawn it off on this radical white dude from Norway to keep the masses from going ape shit???  I mean seriously, am I the only one that found this odd? Odds are he is muslim, and he just had a mass shooting. Just saying.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Dude was Iranian. When it comes to terrorism that means Muslim.

Board footer