You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

James wrote:

I'm not saying that the label doesn't bear a lot of the responsibility also, but it's odd to me to dismiss Axl's involvement altogether. Why didn't this happen to metallica? To Ac/Dc? to every other act then if it's just the label?

Maybe because their albums weren't rejected at a critical moment? I'd imagine if Hetfield have moved forward with Metallica on his own, hands in a finished album and they wont play ball, Metallica fans might have been in for a long wait as well.

M.I.A. is going through something similar regarding getting music released.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu … story.html

I didn't follow the politics or fine details of the thing but I do know generally that Kesha is stuck with her label too. It seems to be a common thing nowadays.

I'm so sick of her whining/attention whoring. She turned into everything she once despised.

By the way, every album after Kala was rejected at least once so this is just par for the course. She's also threatened to leak albums before.

While she has leaked songs and mixtapes, she hasn't leaked actual albums and she wont be doing it this time either. She's doing this just for attention.

I cant stand what she's become. She threatened to retire right after Kala. I wish she had. Instead she has to ruin everything that was so great about her.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not saying that the label doesn't bear a lot of the responsibility also, but it's odd to me to dismiss Axl's involvement altogether. Why didn't this happen to metallica? To Ac/Dc? to every other act then if it's just the label?

Maybe because their albums weren't rejected at a critical moment? I'd imagine if Hetfield have moved forward with Metallica on his own, hands in a finished album and they wont play ball, Metallica fans might have been in for a long wait as well.

Perhaps. However it's the role of an A&R guy to help advise whats a crossover hit and when you have a record and when you don't from a commercial standpoint. On a similar front VR rejected the advice from the label that they should "keep writing" for libertad too. These label guys look for what will sell and while it can put you at creative odds with the label,  other acts deal with it.

Again though Axl is the one who decided robin was an adequate replacement for Slash (rather than Gilby as Matt had earmarked him out for) and that the band should be recording songs like Scrapped not You Could be Mine.

If the label called him on it - perhaps it was worried that the recording costs were obscene - masonic temples for the drums - redoing drums note for note - most of the band never having hung out with Axl cos he only phones up in the AM - multiple years with no vocal takes done. If I were them I might be worried how Jackie Chan was going to cash that cheque too.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl apologists never cease to amaze me. Length they go to jsutify botched and half-assed " New GNR " travesty and a lack of music is mind-boggling.
Let`s assume for a minute label rejected album several times, could n`t Axl annul the contract with UMG ? when one side constantly breaches contract, another side can annul it at any time.
Could n`t Axl find a new label or even better, go independent and start his own ?
Trent Reznor did it, Billy Corgan did it, somehow there is a plot going on to prevent Axl from releasing music.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Perhaps. However it's the role of an A&R guy to help advise whats a crossover hit and when you have a record and when you don't from a commercial standpoint. On a similar front VR rejected the advice from the label that they should "keep writing" for libertad too. These label guys look for what will sell and while it can put you at creative odds with the label,  other acts deal with it.

I agree, but...

The 1999 record would've been a modest and perfectly balanced group of songs. Half UYI III and half industrial faire.

Even if Ezrin is right, three good songs are enough to carry an album. It's your Zeppelin I. Good stuff. Build from there.

There's no reason, creative or financial, that Axl's 1997 summer project shouldn't have been out by the end of 2002. Anything after that is smearing your steak in ketchup or just poor business.

I tend to say pre-2003 = label, post-2003 = Axl but the whole thing is a comedy of errors and the fans are the ones who suffer.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I tend to say pre-2003 = label,

As people like to say nowadays.....THIS.

99-03 was when it really counted.  Anything after that(Buckets departure,the 2005 NYT article, the AFD tours) took it off the rails on a crazy train and the album was basically burnt toast regardless of its quality.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well let's hope you guys are right then and it's smooth sailing from now on.

Going back through Chinese Whispers it seems there's a pretty productive period around 93-95 where Slash had riffs and Axl had piano songs, lots of old ideas to work with.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Well let's hope you guys are right then and it's smooth sailing from now on.

I'd love to be wrong but I'm not particularly optimistic.

I think the most reasonable expectation the fans can have is for a VBO with some unreleased bonus tracks.

The label probably wants to release music ASAP. Their cash cow is sexier than ever and everybody wants some milk. I also think the label wants to milk that cow dry.

The business and artistic sides of things are pretty complicated, tour selling like hotcakes.

Soon isn't the word. Same old shit.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Just to let you know, Metal Talk's reporting that GN'R will be at the Download Festival is something to be taken seriously.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

sp1at wrote:

Just to let you know, Metal Talk's reporting that GN'R will be at the Download Festival is something to be taken seriously.

Ah for fuck's sake, not a festival. Are they likely to play any proper UK gigs?

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It will be next to impossible to get any information out of Livenation just now, unless you know someone who works there very well.

You would have to assume though, going on reports earlier this year, there is an intention to play Wembley Stadium at the very least.

Board footer