You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Metallica new song 'Hardwired', new album Nov. 18th

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

YEah it really sucks. Looks like it can be streamed on Amazon but I might as well just DL it from pirate bay. The music industry is so screwed. People WANT to buy the album but must jump through extra hoops to do something so simple in our youth.

I might swing by Best Buy tomorrow.....IF they have it.

This is very true & endemic & not just confined to the music industry, it's something I experience buying videogames too. Digital distribution is definitely the way to go & my primary method of buying stuff. For music these days I find that by and large my subscription to Tidal covers my needs.

But I still value the physical product sometimes, y'know w/artwork n shit, you know the complete package instead of just some file sitting on my computer or phone with a small jpeg (tho, there's an argument to be made for the artistry inherent & inspired by those limitations too, don't get me wrong).

But I did have a similar experience to the one you're describing recently. Such is my damaged memory I can't quite remember what it was I was looking for but I was wanting a physical copy of it & of course the shop didn't have it in stock yet it was available online (& was on general release, whatever it was they had just chose not to stock it). It was like "I want to give you my money, why don't you want it?!"
Aye but that's the way it's going. Floor space in shops is getting more squeezed & rates rising making it harder for these stores to justify keeping going.

In terms of buying vinyl tho, the done thing is to include a download code. Obviously sometimes these codes are packaged with the record rather than emailed thru which means you HAVE to wait until it arrives to hear it, unless you're dedicated to listening to it on vinyl then you've made the decision to wait anyway. I mean I'd think amazon would work around this with their auto rip offer but maybe Metallica are one of the special cases, some stuff isn't included in that auto rip thing or maybe the download code is nonexistent/charged extra/packaged with the record.
Whatever, it is it's a dicky thing. But I'd say most of us have been on the shitty end of amazon at one stage or another. The reverse was actually true for me as well tho - the Beatles mono set I had it preordered on the high street & they fucked me over until eventually I just cancelled my order & bought it on amazon, so I guess it can work both ways.

johndivney wrote:

Anyway.. I'm still enjoying this album quite a lot. I agree with general sentiment on here: dream/bone standout, we're dead & moth are p awesome too.

Still not got round to vol3. It's not really the album for me more like a bonus disc. I'll maybe do it someday.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They're playing the fuck out of Atlas Rise on local rock radio in my area(central Cali). Almost every time I turn on the radio in my car I hear it.

Means nothing in today's world though. So few people listen to regular radio that they could play Atlas on a continuous loop and it would probably translate to five sales in the long run.

The world is such a mess. Everything moves too fast. Next Metallica album will probably be downloaded directly into our brains.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

the song is catchy, hard to switch off, instant hit.
the problem is, it gets repetitive very soon. and the rest of the album is more forgettable, maybe except for CD3, which is actually quite interesting.
don't get me wrong, they did a decent work, similarly to the previous album, but the problem is, it's a bit too... shallow.
btw, the live version from CD3 is maybe even better than the "studio" version! smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I tried listening to this again and got bored / annoyed and turned it off.

"Atlas" and "Hardwired" are decent enough as far as simplistic thrash metal goes.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The first disc is the strongest of the two, I don't mind Confusion, but then I usually skip ahead to Spit Out The Bone

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I never thought these turkeys would ever sink this low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn42P1OvjqQ

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Metallica announced tour dates for the US today.  Guess I'm driving to Philly

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I never thought these turkeys would ever sink this low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn42P1OvjqQ

[/embed]
It was atrocious.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

So bad I actually feel bad for Lady Gaga for being associated with it.

Board footer