You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Guns w/ Adler, Dodgers Stadium, LA - 08/19/16

esoterica wrote:

Franks drumming is acceptable at best and we all know Steven will sound the best on AFD and with Duff in general.

But it's about control and the nebulous future which is why he's only a guest.

monkeychow wrote:

It's really absurd

You've just summarized Guns N' Roses

Sky Dog wrote:

nebulous future?....tours booked through 2017? Looks pretty stable to me....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Brett wrote:

I know an AFD reunion is a good idea in theory... but it seems like an idea that would apply to a more washed up band to celebrate an album. I mean, they already play everything good off AFD right now, Izzy in the mix would be great, but you still have an issue on drums for the UYI shit, so it's still kind of a gong show.

I think the regular fans just want to see the best GNR show they can get, the reunited lineup is still new, to like, have one album (as great as AFD was) dictate the whole show when it's already and always has been heavy in the set list.

GN'R is a washed up band.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's really absurd having adler sitting out the back listening to the songs he wrote the drum parts for being performed by frank.

It's great he comes out for a handful of songs, but at this stage, there's no reason that he shouldn't drum every single AFD track they perform.

Frank can remain in the group and play the CD, and UYI tracks. This also allows for a back up should adler's health or sobriety falter.

However the default at this point should be adler for AFD. This guest on a song or two thing is nonsense.

Nooooooooooo..... He's not a band member. They're being nice by letting him play.  And it's probably Axl doing Slash a solid so Steven doesnt have a breakdown. Frank is in the band.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

tejastech08 wrote:
Brett wrote:

I know an AFD reunion is a good idea in theory... but it seems like an idea that would apply to a more washed up band to celebrate an album. I mean, they already play everything good off AFD right now, Izzy in the mix would be great, but you still have an issue on drums for the UYI shit, so it's still kind of a gong show.

I think the regular fans just want to see the best GNR show they can get, the reunited lineup is still new, to like, have one album (as great as AFD was) dictate the whole show when it's already and always has been heavy in the set list.

Why are you here if you feel that way?  Just like to shit in other's cereal?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

A bit harsh. During the 'golden years', they were well-marketed screw-ups.

Surely, they reached a nadir in 2010-14, during the Ashba -era. The guy dressed in a top hat and dangled a cigarette while playing. He played up his presence in the media, despite a very minor mark in the Guns' discography. That's when the money was tight and they played at parties for Russian businessmen (in 2010) and at French weddings (2012, with Izzy), while underperforming on major festival appearances (RIR 2011). That was sad - a band at its death throes.

Today, everybody in the band seems to be on the best job they've ever had. I'm basing this on night-to-night punctuality, rave reviews and healthy ticket sales. Whlie we know next to nothing about how it goes backstage, the people who shell them the money feel content. As a commercial unit, they are currently at the top of their game.

In my book, a washed-up band has one founding member re-enacting the long-gone glory. Three core members touring stadiums? Guns are in Metallica country, there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nooooooooooo..... He's not a band member. They're being nice by letting him play.  And it's probably Axl doing Slash a solid so Steven doesnt have a breakdown. Frank is in the band.

I didn't say to fire frank entirely and let adler do everything, but if adler is there he should be allowed to do his own songs.

To me the legitimacy of this type of thing is directly related to if GNR decides to move forward with new creative material or if this tour is a celebration of the past.

If they want to put out new music with frank as the drummer great, but if we're just celebrating the past records, that's great too for the audience, but, it's then it's absurdist to have a guy who plays on 2 songs cover the work of someone who plays on 12 of the most important songs in the band's history, especially while that person is available and watching out the back.

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

A bit harsh. During the 'golden years', they were well-marketed screw-ups.

I'm not sure I'd put it as harshly as 'washed up' however the jury is definitely out on whether this is a final victory lap of the globe or if they're still running the race.

Of course ticket sales are bananas for the first tour in 25 years of a close-to original line up (hell original for casuals that really only care about the lead singer and lead guitarist) of one of the biggest acts of the 1990s.

However the question becomes what happens in 2 years when they've played a reunion show in every global market? What then? Do they have the stones to attempt recording together and continuing off where they started the time waste? What would happen if people didn't like it? Would they be making Starwars 7 or the new ghostbusters? hahah

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Why are you here if you feel that way?  Just like to shit in other's cereal?

They're one of my two favorite bands ever along with Zeppelin. Of those two, GN'R is the only active one so there ya go. But I mean you know it's true that they are washed up. We're not in 1988, though I would love a time machine back to that time period. Was too young and missed it the first time around.

apex-twin wrote:

In my book, a washed-up band has one founding member re-enacting the long-gone glory. Three core members touring stadiums? Guns are in Metallica country, there.

Metallica is washed up too. Both are very popular based on stuff they did 25-30 years ago. The Stones are the same way, except more like washed up and popular based on stuff from 40-50 years ago in the Stones' case. These bands made incredible music back in the day, but they aren't bringing anything relevant to the table today. They are able to draw a big crowd because that old music is timeless.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Like many others, I'd like to know how they decided Adler would only play on those specific songs. Did they tell him how many he could play and allowed him to choose? Did he have no say in the matter and is just happy to be doing anything period?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't think washed up means what you think it means...

Board footer