You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

2 Thoughts:

1.  As for the polls, I think they might have been closer to accurate, however they likely went wrong at the last FBI/Laptop probe with Anthony Weiner & Huma.  That even bugged me a bit. I felt like the media really glossed over that, and while she took a hit, I feel the pollsters just had to keep her on top. Not necessarily to help her win, but I don't think they wanted to be "wrong" and predict a Trump victory, so they kept the polls with her on top.

2. I think Tim Kaine was a pretty bad VP choice. Just a safe pic, but pretty uninspiring. I guess he won his state VA, which he was supposed to do.  And they say VPs aren't supposed to win you elections, just not to lose them. Now, however, she probably should have gone with Bernie. I think she felt she'd win this no matter what, she always sorta had that aura about her campaign.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Where did everyone go?  For weeks this forum was filled with loyal Clinton supporters celebrating their intelligence and mocking those who thought Trump was a viable option.  Go back to the 2008 thread and see how all of us who opposed Obama said he was now our president and we'd support him.  Why am I not seeing that in 2016?

For the record, I've done that twice.

But I can't believe I got no comments on my "legalize drugs" post!

I voted for Johnson, so you don't really need to ask where I stand.  And I haven't used an illegal drug since I was 15.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Way to learn nothing from what has happened! 

Markets are up this morning. So much for that doom and gloom...

What is their to learn? You act as though the Republican Party has reinvented itself.

You're not even trying to learn from this. Step back. You seem to think you're really smart. Prove it. There's something to learn from everything.

Alright, this is my attempt. You have to understand that emotions are running high right now and I acknowledge that I am saturated with these emotions.

At the same time, I do believe in democracy and if that means Trump is president, then I accept it. Even if it means I am in the minority for the foreseeable future. I still believe in my values and I will not be swayed in one direction or the other because of the results of the election. Again, I accept my role as being a representative of the minority and I accept all of the things that go along with being in the minority.

I have never been critical of our "2-party system" in the context that in all honestly, in a perfect world, it's the things that we do together in the 2 party system that result in the best outcomes for everyone. And in all honesty, that is what I want. I do not want anyone to suffer. I want to believe that Republicans have my personal best interests at heart, as well as the group of us that we call United States' citizens as a whole. I'm skeptical.

I do want to personally apologize to Randall Flagg. I once wrote in this thread that "he had contributed nothing" to this country without really having known him. I couldn't be more incorrect. I apologize for letting the heat of the moment and my emotions  to get the best of me. Right now, you and SG and a few others on this thread have your fingers on the pulse of something that escapes at the moment. That matters and it should be acknowledged.

Allow me to be self-indulgent for a moment. I am a business owner. I am responsible for a modest sized group of people who make me look good on a daily basis. I am responsible for federal and state unemployment payments, liability insurance, health insurance for some, mileage reimbursements....and all sorts of other obligations that I not only take very seriously, I also have nothing but gratitude for the fact that I am in the position that I am...

In the end, I still believe in what I believe in....and I will still fight for the things that I believe in...I think someone in this thread asked me once if there was anything I thought was worth fighting for....I have/am/will fight for a single mom of 3 who raised me, my brother and my sister on a minimum wage job. It's not so much for her, but for the future mitchejws. We would not have made it without food stamps and medicaid. And if it matters, my mother was so ashamed to have to apply for and use food stamps. But by no fault of my own or anyone else's my father decided to abandon us and leave us to fend for ourselves. That's something worth fighting for...and it was government that saved us on more than one occasion. These are programs that so many conservatives loath.

I'll leave you with this....the outlet that this board gives me on so many topics has been incredibly important to me over the years. It's hard to believe that I only know you all by your screen names. I can count on one hand the number of friends I have in "real" life. I keep coming back here for a reason. I am thankful for this place.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I do want to personally apologize to Randall Flagg. I once wrote in this thread that "he had contributed nothing" to this country without really having known him. I couldn't be more incorrect. I apologize for letting the heat of the moment and my emotions  to get the best of me.

Oh relax, I said much worse to him in the 2008 thread 16

j/k Flagg, you earned that apology.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Awesome post.  I'll read through it again when I have time and comment directly, but that's the kind of post I was hoping for.  It's personal.  It explains why you feel how you do instead of insulting people.  Love it.

This result happened for a reason.  I'm not even saying it's a good reason, but it wasn't an accident and it's not because half of the country is racist or sexist (though those people exist).

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Where did everyone go?  For weeks this forum was filled with loyal Clinton supporters celebrating their intelligence and mocking those who thought Drumpf was a viable option.  Go back to the 2008 thread and see how all of us who opposed Obama said he was now our president and we'd support him.  Why am I not seeing that in 2016?

Barack's campaign platform was not as divisive. I think the lack of enthusiasm and rallying behind Trump stems from that. Racism was not the only part of this vote, but it was a part of some of it and can't be ignored.

As someone who didn't get what he wanted from the Brexit vote, another that whilst it wasn't the only part of the campaign- the winning side did carry a heavy racist element, it takes a while to come to terms with it and get behind the idea of getting the best out of the situation people are in.

Be tolerant and give people time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Pollux was right about the polls. I have no idea how guys like Nate Silver have jobs. I'll never trust a poll again. It's too hard to accurately poll people nowadays.

Its worse in the internet era. Any moron can vote in one of those polls but it means absolutely nothing when it comes to election day. They can skew the results to fit an agenda but what happens when its time for voters to actually put out the effort and really vote? Kinda like how they tell us everyone and their grandma wants a tranny bathroom even though we know damn good and well nobody does and we're about to find that out real quick.

Like Flagg pointed out, this SJW era is about to be thrown on the ash heap of history.

One of the first things Donald Trump should do is try to get marijuana and all drugs legalized across the country and end the ridiculous war on drugs. Then, regulate them.

Absolutely. Its time for it.

Way to learn nothing from what has happened!

No ofense to MItch but I thought that same thing when reading his rant. His haters will be enduring two terms unless they drop that nonsense. No one's buying that more than half the country attends klan rallies and burns crosses or never went to school and is unable to read a ballot.

They must be in line for all those factory jobs coming back to the US.

Flagg, it happened at every forum I go to since last night. All the HIllary voters fled the scene the moment the pendulum swung Trump's way.

I once wrote in this thread that "he had contributed nothing" to this country without really having known him.

Easily your lowest point. While we were all bitching about the Iraq war.....Flagg was over there actually fighting it.

That last post of yours was great.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

To James and  Flagg: Do you guys have something against Transexuals?

You phrased it as:

Kinda like how they tell us everyone and their grandma wants a tranny bathroom even though we know damn good and well nobody does

It's not about people wanting it. My question is: Why do you guys NOT want them and are against them?

Bathrooms in general been split is starting to become redundant. If the reasoning for it is to protect each gender from unwanted sexual advances of the other then what gets done about gay and lesbian people?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Honestly, this is the most embarrassed I've ever been for my country. I appreciate Bush so much more now. Its not so much Trump, he's a clown, but I never believed that he believed in the shit he was saying... He's really a Democrat after all. It's the shady people he's surrounded himself with. Breitbart is now in control of the white house. The anti semetic conspiracy wing of the right wing. People with unscrupulous ties to the FBI that attempted to sway the election, and IMO, it worked.

Why I have hope, believe it or not, is Paul Ryan and Lindsey Graham. They are big targets of Breitbart and won't allow any nefarious agenda to come to fruition. I'm also going to bite the bullet and have a little faith in Trump not to be taken advantage of and will do the right thing. I still don't think he'll finish out his first term, but we'll see.

Democrats, stop saying racism won the election, that's what made you lose. I think Hillary was cheated by the FBI, Assange, wikileaks, and Russian intelligence, and a vulnerable candidate can't withstand that, even if she won the popular vote. Had dems not made these people out to be villains this wouldn't have happened. While touting changing demographics and a white minority, not once did they ever say these people wouldn't be left behind. Not once. You know who did? Trump. Cut your nose off to spite your face.

This is going to get ugly, folks. I'm saying this as a friend to you guys, stay on top of your 401ks and be prepared for a huge economic hit. That's not partisan or scare tactics, it's a real concern. The consequences of this election will be massive. I'm not talking about Trump so much, but his cabinet.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Mitch owes me no apology and I'd prefer if my service wasn't used as a credibility point.  Plenty of people saw much worse than I and have a completely different viewpoint.

Board footer