You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

Republicans stand for nothing....

[/embed]

Saw that last night. FUNNY AS SHIT!!!

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

[/embed]

I watched it too. My question is, who defends the shit Trump says?  Who defended his McCain comments?  Who thinks any of that shit Maher quoted is ok?  No one on this forum has defended it. In fact, everyone has condemned it.

We're all in agreement it's stupid and embarrassing. Even Fox News mocks him for this. I don't think there's any real contingent that thinks it's appropriate. Claiming there's any large group who thinks it's acceptable is making a parody of the truth.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

[/embed]

I watched it too. My question is, who defends the shit Trump says?  Who defended his McCain comments?  Who thinks any of that shit Maher quoted is ok?  No one on this forum has defended it. In fact, everyone has condemned it.

We're all in agreement it's stupid and embarrassing. Even Fox News mocks him for this. I don't think there's any real contingent that thinks it's appropriate. Claiming there's any large group who thinks it's acceptable is making a parody of the truth.

I agree but it was funny when Obama said the same things. That guy does a great job.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Trump was asking Russia for Hillary leaks. Trump Jr took a meeting to get leaks from Russia. Did those conversations need to be leaked? No. But pot meet kettle

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Just to be clear: Leaks of conversations between heads of state in their entirety have not been leaked in the past. It's not good.

We already know Trump is a lying sack of shit who is all talk, we don't need these leaks to show us that.

These leaks harm American leaders' ability to speak free and openly to world leaders not only now but in the future. Someday, when we have a president that is worth a shit, who's to say when he or she is trying to negotiate something that the response they'll get is: "i will not speak to you about this because I don't want my words leaked to the world."

This type of leak has never happened at this scale: It undermines the office overall for now and the future.

Trump sucks, but don't be so quick to want to expose him that you ruin it for everyone that ever follows him.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Just to be clear: Leaks of conversations between heads of state in their entirety have not been leaked in the past. It's not good.

We already know Trump is a lying sack of shit who is all talk, we don't need these leaks to show us that.

These leaks harm American leaders' ability to speak free and openly to world leaders not only now but in the future. Someday, when we have a president that is worth a shit, who's to say when he or she is trying to negotiate something that the response they'll get is: "i will not speak to you about this because I don't want my words leaked to the world."

This type of leak has never happened at this scale: It undermines the office overall for now and the future.

Trump sucks, but don't be so quick to want to expose him that you ruin it for everyone that ever follows him.

Whether or not the leaks occurred doesn't change the fact that our president is whining and sniveling to the leaders of other governments.

That is the weakness that concerns me right NOW.

While he's on camera beating his chest about the greatness of America he goes behind closed doors and pleads with other nations to do things so he doesn't look bad.

That's freighting and you know our enemies are watching.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Was it Chuck Schumer or who was it that basically warned President Trump about going after the intelligence community, as it is a bad idea.

Look at the unprecedented leaks. I don't think it is just a disgruntled staffer(s) in the West Wing.

The John McCain comments were horrific. Dude is a big time hero.

And when some liberals were bitching about him coming back to the Hill, and his speech on opening up debate on the bill got them worried. And Lord and behold he saved the day by voting no.

Not all Republicans are bad. Wasn't it John Roberts who saved Obama Care from being overturned years ago?

In theory if impeachment happens (I don't think it will), and it is proven clearly that Trump and co were heavily involved with Russia, then what?

Could the whole executive branch resign, and put the country into a crisis and call for a new election? Has anything like that happened before I assume no, or a rule in place for this?

Cause didn't Spirow Agnew resign as VP during Watergate?

Anyhow, it would be nice to see a President restore NASA funding and calling out American companies who manufacture a ton of products overseas instead of producing on domestic soil.

As I firmly believe it weakens a country relying on a foreign country for its goods (see China).

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Was it Chuck Schumer or who was it that basically warned President Trump about going after the intelligence community, as it is a bad idea.

Look at the unprecedented leaks. I don't think it is just a disgruntled staffer(s) in the West Wing.

Yea you're right, I hadn't thought about that in awhile. These are unprecedented leaks. But then again, hasn't he activiely tried to a make an ennemy out of everyone?

The John McCain comments were horrific. Dude is a big time hero.

Same as above, Trump has made enemies everywhere. That's the problem with bluster though...when you say what feels good in the moment and gets you the big reaction, you're not thinking about the long term ramifications it.

And when some liberals were bitching about him coming back to the Hill, and his speech on opening up debate on the bill got them worried. And Lord and behold he saved the day by voting no.

I think most liberals were bitching because we knew what was coming. Another 50-50 vote with Pence breaking the tie....AGAIN. On top of that, Trump is constantly trying to the change the rules of the Senate so that the minority has even less than zero say.

Not all Republicans are bad. Wasn't it John Roberts who saved Obama Care from being overturned years ago?

Of course they aren't...Romney wasn't bad (not all that different from Obama), Kasich would have been a fine pick. McCain himself would probably have done alright. I've even seen some back bone from Lindsay Graham as of late.

But there are a ton of Republican governors around the country (Walker, Brownback, Snyder, LePage, the guy from Florida?) who just straight implement policy with blatant disregard for any actual consequences or feedback. In Wisconsin, there's a program where the state gives billions of dollars to 'business owners' with little/no accountability for whether or not the actually create any jobs. Ludicrous.

In theory if impeachment happens (I don't think it will), and it is proven clearly that Trump and co were heavily involved with Russia, then what?

Could the whole executive branch resign, and put the country into a crisis and call for a new election? Has anything like that happened before I assume no, or a rule in place for this?

Cause didn't Spirow Agnew resign as VP during Watergate?

I do think it's unlikely as well but I think it's becoming more likely that his family members might go down for obstruction.

Regarding Agnew, if I recall correctly, Agnew was selected to help win an important state in the election. Once Nixon won, Agnew was not an important member of Nixon's team. In fact, Agnew legitimately knew very little about the details of Nixon's scandals. Funny thing though, the feds were probing into everyone and Agnew actually went down for something like tax evasion.

Anyhow, it would be nice to see a President restore NASA funding and calling out American companies who manufacture a ton of products overseas instead of producing on domestic soil.

As I firmly believe it weakens a country relying on a foreign country for its goods (see China).

There's got to be a better way to do it. At least better than the way Trump is doing it. It's a tough one because it's such unskilled labor. Nobody wants to pay for unskilled labor.

Bringing those jobs back may not solve as many problems as we might hope.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Kasich's on Face the Nation right now. This guys definitely ramping up for a 2020 run.

Board footer